Quick Thought on WRs

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Krang, thanks. What/when (the round) do you think he'll be drafted?
Shenault will likely go round 1 unless he has a medical red flag. He is going to tear the combine up, and has enough high-end tape from someone to take a chance on him. If anything, he may fall to early round 2, but that would require the league to push almost all WRs down the board. I won't be shocked if Shenault goes ahead of Ruggs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Bryan Edwards from South Carolina is a similar player as well, but Shenault is more of a monster.

I dont really see much resemblance in their games. Edwards is much more of a bigger jump ball guy, while Shenault has a bit of RB to his game.

South Carolina is a great WR factory over the years, going all the way back to Sterling Sharpe.

I wouldnt mind picking Wirfs round 1, Shenault Jr. round 2.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It’s accurate to say this draft has a deep receiver pool. Therefore several people have suggested waiting until after round 1 to get a potential number one WR. The problem with that thinking is there is a league-wide concern about a WR shortage. That will almost certainly result in a run on WRs. If the Cards wait until even pick 40 they may find themselves looking at the 13th best receiver. The pool isn’t so deep that strategy is likely to produce a number one receiver.
We do need a #1 WR but we need a whole lot of help on the DL also, plus a RT. I want Derrick Brown in the worst way, I would be ok drafting a WR with the #8 pick if we addressed the DL problem in FA?

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Shenault will likely go round 1 unless he has a medical red flag. He is going to tear the combine up, and has enough high-end tape from someone to take a chance on him. If anything, he may fall to early round 2, but that would require the league to push almost all WRs down the board. I won't be shocked if Shenault goes ahead of Ruggs.
The med flag is a real possibility. I posted the info on the Shenault thread.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know how anyone can call for a wide receiver at #8 after watching every single playoff game won by defence and O line play (except Seahawks vs Eagles scout team).

AJ Brown has 2 catches for 15 yards in 2 games.

Teams are built from the inside out. This team won't do anything until we have an O line and D line that combined rank top 15.

Trenches or Defense at #8 or its going to be the same old Cards.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Kirk as a WR, but don't see him as a YAC guy. For my #1 WR, I want a YAC guy.

Hasn't that been his thing? He's been the king of bubble screens and the guy they throw to on 3rd and short behind the LOS to fight for the yards?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know how anyone can call for a wide receiver at #8 after watching every single playoff game won by defence and O line play (except Seahawks vs Eagles scout team).

AJ Brown has 2 catches for 15 yards in 2 games.

Teams are built from the inside out. This team won't do anything until we have an O line and D line that combined rank top 15.

Trenches or Defense at #8 or its going to be the same old Cards.

welcome to the board?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
welcome to the board?

Sorry if I come across a bit obstinate on this point. I've been having the same argument at ROTB.

Would I cry if we picked WR at #8? Not really. We need talent everywhere.

But I can't think of it as smart considering how bad we are everywhere else. We have a lot of natural growth to come on offense from Kyler but also the 3 WR's we drafted last year.

The smart play is to see how those 3 guys develop in year 2 and if not draft one in 2021. Kirk, Bella, Butler and Johnson all have a lot of development to come.

It's not out of the box to think that Hakeem Butler could be our DK Metcalf. He might not have the same speed but he's 6'5", runs 4.48 and weighs 230lbs. That's a handful for any outside corner.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
BritCard, I don't have any stats to back up my opinion, but he doesn't seem to get many yards after contact. Doesn't seem big enough. JMO.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry if I come across a bit obstinate on this point. I've been having the same argument at ROTB.

Would I cry if we picked WR at #8? Not really. We need talent everywhere.

But I can't think of it as smart considering how bad we are everywhere else. We have a lot of natural growth to come on offense from Kyler but also the 3 WR's we drafted last year.

It's not out of the box to think that Hakeem Butler could be our DK Metcalf. He might not have the same speed but he's 6'5", runs 4.48 and weighs 230lbs. That's a handful for any outside corner.
Problem with Hakeem is that he can’t catch & is even more stiff than Metcalf is.

I think it’s playing with fire if we wait until day 3 to draft WR.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Problem with Hakeem is that he can’t catch & is even more stiff than Metcalf is.

I think it’s playing with fire if we wait until day 3 to draft WR.

My argument would be Kyler finished 15th in passing yards and the offense was ranked 13th I believe per DVOA.

If we had a top 20 defense this year we win 4 more games.

It wasn't wide receiver that let us down, and we have 4 players still developing. I'd like to see what they have in year 2 where historically receivers make a big leap.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My argument would be Kyler finished 15th in passing yards and the offense was ranked 13th I believe per DVOA.

If we had a top 20 defense this year we win 4 more games.

It wasn't wide receiver that let us down, and we have 4 players still developing. I'd like to see what they have in year 2 where historically receivers make a big leap.
I don’t disagree with you about defense, but lack of quality WR play did hurt more than not.

I think it’s arguable the reason Kyler took so many self-imposing sacks was because of OLine, it was because our WRs consistently couldn’t separate to save their lives so Kyler had to buy time & do too much.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can’t win in the playoffs with absolute non-factors at WR.

Look at the remaining teams in the playoffs:

You have to respect AJ Brown.

You have to respect Davante Adams.

You have to respect Tyreek Hill.

You have to respect DK Metcalf.

You have to respect DeAndre Hopkins.

You have to respect Deebo Samuel.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can’t win in the playoffs with absolute non-factors at WR.

Look at the remaining teams in the playoffs:

You have to respect AJ Brown.

You have to respect Davante Adams.

You have to respect Tyreek Hill.

You have to respect DK Metcalf.

You have to respect DeAndre Hopkins.

You have to respect Deebo Samuel.

Hmm, well I agree you need receiving threats in general but the teams with the best receiving corps in the league didn't even make the playoffs. AJ Brown has 2 catches for 15 yards in 2 playoff games and Tannehill hasn't passed for more than 90 yards in either.

Michael Thomas, the best receiver in the league, went out in the wildcard round.

The Eagles won the SB with WR by committee, they didn't have a true #1. This is the general trend of the NFL. A WR1 is nice but you can get by without one.

Kliff's history shows he favors to spread the ball around rather than have a single WR getting 30-40% of the targets.

I just don't think WR1 is something we should be looking at right now with so many other needs, unless Fitz retires, and even then I would look at round 2 in such a deep class.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm, well I agree you need receiving threats in general but the teams with the best receiving corps in the league didn't even make the playoffs. AJ Brown has 2 catches for 15 yards in 2 playoff games and Tannehill hasn't passed for more than 90 yards in either.

Michael Thomas, the best receiver in the league, went out in the wildcard round.

The Eagles won the SB with WR by committee, they didn't have a true #1. This is the general trend of the NFL. A WR1 is nice but you can get by without one.

Kliff's history shows he favors to spread the ball around rather than have a single WR getting 30-40% of the targets.

I just don't think WR1 is something we should be looking at right now with so many other needs, unless Fitz retires, and even then I would look at round 2 in such a deep class.
AJ Brown hasn’t produced because teams are respecting him. Otherwise, defenses would just super-load up the box every play to try to stop Henry.

You bring up Michael Thomas. Saints went out in the 1st round because they didn’t have any other WR threats outside of Michael Thomas.

I think you’re sort of missing my point. We don’t need a stacked WR core, but we need WRs that can create separation on a consistent basis. We have no one. I thought it would be Kirk, but with the ankle injuries, it hasn’t come to fruition.

Yea, you can get by without a WR1. You cannot get by without even having a WR2, which we don’t even have.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Agree with BritCard about not drafting a receiver in round 1. It wouldn't break my heart if we ended up with Jeudy or Lamb, but the smart choice would be to grab Okuda, Simmons, or Thomas...whoever is available. Wide receivers can be had in the second round and we need to build our defense and O-line. I just think that potential growth of the young receivers that we have on the roster, combined with the opportunity to pick up a quality receiver in the 2nd round of this year's draft, we should go in another direction in round 1.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AJ Brown hasn’t produced because teams are respecting him. Otherwise, defenses would just super-load up the box every play to try to stop Henry.

You bring up Michael Thomas. Saints went out in the 1st round because they didn’t have any other WR threats outside of Michael Thomas.

I think you’re sort of missing my point. We don’t need a stacked WR core, but we need WRs that can create separation on a consistent basis. We have no one. I thought it would be Kirk, but with the ankle injuries, it hasn’t come to fruition.

Yea, you can get by without a WR1. You cannot get by without even having a WR2, which we don’t even have.

I disagree with some of this but I think we will differ in opinion on this no matter what.

Ultimately though I don't think anyone can argue WR is the biggest need on this team. I don't even think it's top 5. So I'm not keen on spending our top pick there.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree with some of this but I think we will differ in opinion on this no matter what.

Ultimately though I don't think anyone can argue WR is the biggest need on this team. I don't even think it's top 5. So I'm not keen on spending our top pick there.
Disagree with the bottom, but I guess you have a lot more faith in the WR core than I do.