Preseason: Lakers @ Suns Wednesday game thread 10-6-2021

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I gotta say, even if Stix is not knocking down the three, he is hustling on the offensive glass,

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Several times now guys have driven and then tried to dish the ball to Payton near the paint and each time he reacts like the ball is made of lava, doesn't even reach for the ball. Really odd.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Other than Payton and Randle, both of whom looked just brutal (though I am fine with a guard rotation of CP3, Booker, Payne and Shamet), Jalen Smith was still by far the worst Suns player on the court.

Once again, the need for another power forward is quite apparent, but other than that, this game (until the fourth quarter) was quite encouraging. CP3 in particular looked no worse for the wear, JaVale McGee appears to be just what we need as a back-up center, and both Cams were terrific.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta say, even if Stix is not knocking down the three, he is hustling on the offensive glass,

He is working so hard. I'd like to see him rewarded. He does have 9 rebounds along with 4 points.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final:

Suns 117 - Lakers 105

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah it’s more of an indictment on these scrubs we brought in. Randle, Hutchinson, and Payton flat out suck.

Randle and Hutchinson won't see the light of day on this roster, so to me they really don't count.

Payton, on the other hand, is making me nervous, especially knowing that we will have to game manage CP3 more this season.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He is working so hard. I'd like to see him rewarded. He does have 9 rebounds along with 4 points.

Bender worked hard as well. This isn't Little League. Talent and ability to contribute are what need to be rewarded at this level.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bender worked hard as well. This isn't Little League. Talent and ability to contribute are what need to be rewarded at this level.
Bender did not rebound like this either... and I was a Bender fan.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bender did not rebound like this either... and I was a Bender fan.

Actually, Bender had balls slip through his fingers EXACTLY like Jalen Smith does. What Bender didn't have was the willingness to miss so many lay-ups, which is what accounts for a lot of Smith's rebounds.

In terms of overall effectiveness, Smith basically IS Bender at this point in time, only less shy with his shot and even less coordinated.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it’s more of an indictment on these scrubs we brought in. Randle, Hutchinson, and Payton flat out suck.

Randle is on training camp contract, Hutchison is on a two-way contract and Payton is being paid the minimum as a third point guard not that I'm down on Payton.

Shamet and Booker will also play some situational point guard.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, Bender had balls slip through his fingers EXACTLY like Jalen Smith does. What Bender didn't have was the willingness to miss so many lay-ups, which is what accounts for a lot of Smith's rebounds.

In terms of overall effectiveness, Smith basically IS Bender at this point in time, only less shy with his shot and even less coordinated.
Wrong. Even if every single offensive board that Smith grabbed came off of his missed layups this comment would still be way off. He's had a grand total of 37 rebounds but only 7 of them have been offensive.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trevor Ariza undergoes procedure on right ankle. He will be re-evaluated in 8 weeks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty with takeaways from the game. Near the end of the video clip, Monty says Paul is always on him about a big man that can dive.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul talks about the team culture on the Suns from scoring to defense and the players they added.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there’s something a lot of people I think are overlooking with this team going into the season. It almost feels like the media thinks we peaked last season, but I think there’s a STRONG chance that we totally overachieved last year and got where we wanted to go a year early. Now we’ve brought back the overwhelming majority of the team, and added two nice pieces. That means we hit the ground running this year like a fine tuned machine, as opposed to the Lakers who have flipped everyone around Bron/Davis and the other squads limping back in without stars. We’re essentially where Utah was going into last season when they were able to just start en fuego only our base and experience going into the year starts at a higher place than Utah’s a year ago.

I am starting to chomp at the bit getting excited for this year. Not even Ayton and Bridges contract squabbles have gotten me down in the slightest.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am starting to chomp at the bit getting excited for this year. Not even Ayton and Bridges contract squabbles have gotten me down in the slightest.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I'm not even thinking much about the contract extensions for Ayton and Bridges. I can't help but think the extension for Bridges is already done and they are waiting for Ayton's contract negotiation to be completed before announcing them.

I'm with you that the Suns should hit the ground running.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
there’s something a lot of people I think are overlooking with this team going into the season. It almost feels like the media thinks we peaked last season, but I think there’s a STRONG chance that we totally overachieved last year and got where we wanted to go a year early. Now we’ve brought back the overwhelming majority of the team, and added two nice pieces. That means we hit the ground running this year like a fine tuned machine, as opposed to the Lakers who have flipped everyone around Bron/Davis and the other squads limping back in without stars. We’re essentially where Utah was going into last season when they were able to just start en fuego only our base and experience going into the year starts at a higher place than Utah’s a year ago.

I agree but didn't think of the Utah comparison. I think they're kind of like the Warriors who won their first title and then lost in the finals the next season after their 73 win season. I see different end results, of course, but we definitely overachieved last year and are primed to strike now. Unlike that Warrior squad though we're hungry, practically starving, so we should be dangerous, especially in the playoffs.

I'm not saying we'll win 70+ games during the season but I do expect to be favorites come playoff time.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree but didn't think of the Utah comparison. I think they're kind of like the Warriors who won their first title and then lost in the finals the next season after their 73 win season. I see different end results, of course, but we definitely overachieved last year and are primed to strike now. Unlike that Warrior squad though we're hungry, practically starving, so we should be dangerous, especially in the playoffs.

I'm not saying we'll win 70+ games during the season but I do expect to be favorites come playoff time.

I think the more applicable parallel is last year's Miami Heat team...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the more applicable parallel is last year's Miami Heat team...
Well, both teams had a lot of luck to get to the finals but I think our chances of getting that far again are far better than theirs were. Not that I think we're going to the finals again but I do think it's possible.

Once again the Nets and Lakers probably have the best teams on paper but given age, injuries and the satanic vaccine, I wouldn't separate them out from the pack of 10 teams or so that have a decent chance to win it all (including us).

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We are going to be the regular season MONSTERS.
This team with some luck and no whammy's could pass the 93 teams 62 wins. That's what I'm betting on.

The Playoffs scare the crap out of me tho. Lets PAY some folks and get that extra part this machine needs.
We might be able to do it without as is. But that would make it ALOT easier.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Suns will have a target on their uniforms. Teams will be gunning for them but with the new players I guessing 60 wins

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Put me down for 48 wins. They're no longer an unknown, and they didn't address some of their primary weaknesses.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Exactly. If Paul weren’t here and we hadn’t gone to the finals I’m sure the headlines for the suns heading into the season would’ve been “Suns look for young guys to take next step and make playoffs this season.” In other words, there’s still a TON of remaining potential that’s yet to be tapped by this team.