Post Texans Overreaction Thread

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
I think the entire team knows what’s going on. It’s getting pretty obvious.
Ragtag roster!
Go for it on 4th, not the sure FG!
Go for 2….why not?
Throw deep a lot!
Go for the pick!
Taking chances not playing tight to actually win the game.
I think even the players have bought into….we’re not actually good enough to make a season turnaround so play loose, have fun, nothing to lose attitude!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah, the delay of games, barely getting plays off in time and then the late game clock management which bled over a minute off the clock for a total of 7 yards.

And the deep ball is painful to watch now. It was the best thing about his passing his first 2.5 years but has been abysmal ever since.

Wheels look good to me, but that’s about the only thing that’s consistent with Kyler the last two games.
Consistent. That's the key.
Kyler has always flashed. Moments of greatness. A methodical drive. A textbook series.

But then comes the WTF?

Being Consistent is what makes a star QB... knowing you can count on X level of play 85% of the time...then sprinkle in 10% greatness with some random bone head plays from time to time.

Not being Consistent has been kylers biggest flaw his entire pro career

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
As bad as the defense was, the offense was still in position to win and they couldn't pull it off. complete fumble.
Lots of folks bad mouthing the defense. They ain't great. They ain't very talented.
But they generated 3 turnovers and some crucial stops in the second half.

The defense didn't lose the game for us. They played well enough that we should have won.
Poor offensive execution and inexperienced coaching at key points cost us the game.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Also makes me mad that Marco is so horrendous because we really might go CB in the 1st round with that Houston pick & I hate doing that without a Bonafide EDGE
His first two seasons dude looked so promising.
The only hope is it seems JG isn't an early corner guy and feels he can develop later picks.....also seems to know with pressure up front all your corners look better

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of folks bad mouthing the defense. They ain't great. They ain't very talented.
But they generated 3 turnovers and some crucial stops in the second half.

The defense didn't lose the game for us. They played well enough that we should have won.
Poor offensive execution and inexperienced coaching at key points cost us the game.
The defense was atrocious in the first half. Houston was on its way to 40+ points, Stroud 400 yards and Singletary 100 rushing at half time. Yes, we are all pleased by the turnovers and the 2nd half shut out. But the defense at the end of the 1st half blew the game as badly as the offense did at the end of the 2nd.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
6 games remaining

Rams
Steelers
49ers
Bears
Eagles
Seahawks

Rams and Bears are the only opponents we will face with losing records rest of the year

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
The defense was atrocious in the first half. Houston was on its way to 40+ points, Stroud 400 yards and Singletary 100 rushing at half time. Yes, we are all pleased by the turnovers and the 2nd half shut out. But the defense at the end of the 1st half blew the game as badly as the offense did at the end of the 2nd.
We should not have been in this game in the 2nd half. I'm honestly amazed we "held" them to 21 points in the 1st half. It was a horrific effort in the 1st half on d.

The d all season has played above their talent for about a half to 3 qtrs but they played to their talent the rest of the game. We played above our talent in the 1st half for the first 9 games and have done the opposite the last 2. The latter seems to be better as it gives us a better chance to win

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6 games remaining

Rams
Steelers
49ers
Bears
Eagles
Seahawks

Rams and Bears are the only opponents we will face with losing records rest of the year
I think the Steelers are a sham and could wind up with a losing record. But we won't be at them in Pittsburgh.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should not have been in this game in the 2nd half. I'm honestly amazed we "held" them to 21 points in the 1st half. It was a horrific effort in the 1st half on d.

The d all season has played above their talent for about a half to 3 qtrs but they played to their talent the rest of the game. We played above our talent in the 1st half for the first 9 games and have done the opposite the last 2. The latter seems to be better as it gives us a better chance to win
They just flipped the script between 2nd half and the 1st half.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Should just name it the rip K1 thread since we all know that’s what it will turn into! Should have kicked FGs instead of going for unnecessary 4th downs, and kick the damn xp stop chasing points when they are there to be had! This game was lost on coaching 100%. The I while not great got in positions to put points o the board but the HC chose to go for more! It’s weird watching almost like we are trying to lose but not look to obvious about it lol. It was loud in there and they didn’t do great at the end getting plays in and out and not sure wtf huddling and running clock out! And the terrible first down play call at the end just set them up for failure trying to be cute. Honestly with our record it’s much better for us to lose but I like seeing us in every game with a chance and see positive growth, but we are talent depleted team so the better the draft the better for us in the future!
Agree. I’m not saying we are tanking, but it sure looks like Gannon is more interested in evaluation than he is of actually winning. You NEVER go for two until you have to go for two. If not for Gannon being stupid, we would have been lining up for a game winning FG as the clock expired.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Consistent. That's the key.
Kyler has always flashed. Moments of greatness. A methodical drive. A textbook series.

But then comes the WTF?

Being Consistent is what makes a star QB... knowing you can count on X level of play 85% of the time...then sprinkle in 10% greatness with some random bone head plays from time to time.

Not being Consistent has been kylers biggest flaw his entire pro career
*his entire career, should be noted KK was and is not a qualified NFL coach and never should have had the opportunity to waste 4 years of Murray imo…

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
My 2 cents...

I was a receiver and tore my ACL (they used my own parts to repair it).

I was squatting significant weight, running the rope ladder faster than prior, and my running was adequate enough. Where I had my most difficulty was trusting my knee at terminal extension. I truly believe the reason for Kyler's deep ball suffering is because of this. It took me a full 2 years (I was likely ready about 18/19 months) post surgery to really feel comfortable again (get that "drive it like you stole it" back).

Think about the action of throwing fellas- he is a right handed passer and tore his right ACL... I'm not worried about his deep ball. I was more worried about his A) attitude and B) ability to use his wheels outside the pocket. I am happy enough with what I see (both A and B). It's probably gonna take another season before he's really himself, but so far so good.... Consider me in his corner.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
*his entire career, should be noted KK was and is not a qualified NFL coach and never should have had the opportunity to waste 4 years of Murray imo…
Agree fully on kliff. However he has absolutely nothing to do with how kyler performs with the tools he is given...yes he runs practices, designs plays, and calls the offense. But even with kliff being a constant kyler was inconsistent.
Even consistently bad is better than inconsistent... because it at least allows you to identify where you need to focus your efforts.
But with kyler one game his footwork is fine and the next week it's poo...his pre snap reads are fine and suddenly it's like he ain't even looking... he locks onto his primary one week and the following game he is rolling through his progressions...he has a couple games of good pocket mechanics followed by a month of happy feet...

He is like my first wife. It's always something...and when you think it's all good some poo you handled a long time ago comes back to bite you in the ass

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents...

I was squatting significant weight, running the rope ladder faster than prior, and my running was adequate enough. Where I had my most difficulty was trusting my knee at terminal extension. I truly believe the reason for Kyler's deep ball suffering is because of this. It took me a full 2 years (I was likely ready about 18/19 months) post surgery to really feel comfortable again (get that "drive it like you stole it" back).

Think about the action of throwing fellas- he is a right handed passer and tore his right ACL... I'm not worried about his deep ball. I was more worried about his A) attitude and B) ability to use his wheels outside the pocket. I am happy enough with what I see (both A and B). It's probably gonna take another season before he's really himself, but so far so good.... Consider me in his corner.
I wish I could buy this more, but his deep ball was awful last year pre-injury also.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Three main things I took away from this game.
1) Do not sign Hollywood. He is just not that good.
2) Budda Baker just makes too much for the return. He did very little today.
3) Marco Wilson is just horrible. I mean he is killing us. Let Clark play. Hell, he even held on a punt return.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Should just name it the rip K1 thread since we all know that’s what it will turn into! Should have kicked FGs instead of going for unnecessary 4th downs, and kick the damn xp stop chasing points when they are there to be had! This game was lost on coaching 100%. The I while not great got in positions to put points o the board but the HC chose to go for more! It’s weird watching almost like we are trying to lose but not look to obvious about it lol. It was loud in there and they didn’t do great at the end getting plays in and out and not sure wtf huddling and running clock out! And the terrible first down play call at the end just set them up for failure trying to be cute. Honestly with our record it’s much better for us to lose but I like seeing us in every game with a chance and see positive growth, but we are talent depleted team so the better the draft the better for us in the future!
Not when Kyler has all day in the pocket, is able to effortlessly step up into a deep throw, and then massively underthrows it for an INT. There was a lot to not like about this game, some of which can be directly drawn back to Kyler, some to coaching, situational eff ups, first-half defense, etc. But KM definitely figures in there. Interesting how you tried to preempt the narrative, though.

Stout

Reaction score
Kyler Murray still has room to get better. Let's not forget he is coming off major knee surgery and is in a whole new system with this team. He still makes great plays with his legs. We are really lacking in the WR room and I hope we make major improvements at that position in the off season.
What Cheese said, and we've been hearing the above for YEARS.

Stout

Reaction score
My 2 cents...

What's the excuse for him sucking on deep balls last year? Before the knee injury?

Reactions: PJ1

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison