Post Texans Overreaction Thread

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Chopper, I am not saying Murray is THE savior. Murray is the best bet for next two years. Let's upgrade his cast to an extent where we can knock on the NFC championship game before Murray's legs give up on him.

Either that or starting over with a rookie QB. I don't want to bet on another rookie with a third or fourth pick.
I don't believe there is starting cast you could assemble in the next two years to win two consecutive playoff games with Kyler playing like this. My hope is that he gets significantly better over the rest of the year. If not, better to bite the bullet and move on.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't believe there is starting cast you could assemble in the next two years to win two consecutive playoff games with Kyler playing like this. My hope is that he gets significantly better over the rest of the year. If not, better to bite the bullet and move on.
Man, another rebuild and multiple years added on to our window of contention would be a pretty tough pill to swallow.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Man, another rebuild and multiple years added on to our window of contention would be a pretty tough pill to swallow.
It would be awful, but sticking with the Kyler we saw vs Houston would be worse. There is just no future with that level of QB play. But, we have 6 more games to hopefully see Kyler play at a higher level.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It would be awful, but sticking with the Kyler we saw vs Houston would be worse. There is just no future with that level of QB play. But, we have 6 more games to hopefully see Kyler play at a higher level.
Yeah - lots of 2022 vibes yesterday which was definitely concerning. If Kyler ain't it, we're in for a long stretch of hard to watch football. Look at all the rest of the teams without a QB in the NFL - utterly hopeless and borderline unwatchable.

Yesterday was such a tease with that first drive! Kyler put it right on Moore, and you thought it would be an old fashioned shootout. After that, Kyler was ass, and Stroud appeared to be a different guy after the Thompson hit.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
its not "another" rebuild...its the same one... Trading Kyler nets us one season in cap hell followed by three seasons on cost controlled rookie QB deal.
the thing is... if we build around Kyler, we may just win enough to not have a shot at a top QB without trading away future picks. we are looking at a top 2 pick now...so a decision has to be made.
it really suxx to be in this position with a Fashanu and a MHJ sitting on the board.

or, we could gamble that a second or third round pick will develop into a top QB.

we could even go the Chargers route... Draft a Drake Maye, and keep Kyler on the roster. Run with both of them next year and see how they adapt to competition. Then trade the also ran next year

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

How many starting NFL QBs could make the goal line Touchdown run that he made yesterday vs. HOU?

You find a way to build around that Chopper. And here's his passing stat line from yesterday:

20/30 (66.7%) 7.1 per completion, 1 TD, 1 INT - 84.6 passer rating.

You make it sound like he threw eight interceptions or something.

Give him some more talent and he'll do better. Anybody can see that.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gannon may be a terrible coach but you definitely go for two with the way our defense looked at the time of the conversion attempt. If he knew Stroud would turn into a pumpkin from that point forward you kick it. At the end of the day it was a 4pt vs 5pts so it’s more if a complaining just to complain thing.
I didn't have a problem with the 2 pts myself. That was the right call. But passing on the FG on the 4th and 5 was dumb. You need two FGs for the lead, not two touchdowns. I know this is the trend in coaching and lots of others would have done it. But we are more likely to kick FGs than score TDs. That deserves to be second guessed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is where I reside. Rebuilds suck. But they are also more interesting than sitting in Jeff Fischerland. If Murray is the guy we saw in successive weeks through the end of this season, this far into his career, I think I’d enjoy the unknown future of a full rebuild to the herky jerky make the playoffs once every 3-4 years and bow out in the first round that mid murray would bring.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
its not "another" rebuild...its the same one... Trading Kyler nets us one season in cap hell followed by three seasons on cost controlled rookie QB deal.
the thing is... if we build around Kyler, we may just win enough to not have a shot at a top QB without trading away future picks. we are looking at a top 2 pick now...so a decision has to be made.
it really suxx to be in this position with a Fashanu and a MHJ sitting on the board.

or, we could gamble that a second or third round pick will develop into a top QB.

we could even go the Chargers route... Draft a Drake Maye, and keep Kyler on the roster. Run with both of them next year and see how they adapt to competition. Then trade the also ran next year
As much as I see warning lights on the last paragraph I’m not adverse to it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How many starting NFL QBs could make the goal line Touchdown run that he made yesterday vs. HOU?

You find a way to build around that Chopper. And here's his passing stat line from yesterday:

Numbers are great until you watch the game and seem him underthrow a couple TDs and unnecessary rush a crucial third down pass among his other clock management foibles that don’t show in those numbers.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I'd rather have a QB who can go better than 3-9 on third-down plays than one who can make the exceptional play from time to time.

This is the argument against Caleb Williams.

Kyler has six more games to show he can develop the consistency to make it less likely he has to put on his superhero cape.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

People act like it's easy to find a decent QB in the draft. It's obviously not. Stroud's passer rating in that game was 85. And he didn't make plays with his legs like Kyler. I went through the box scores yesterday, and Murray and Stroud were smack dab in the middle of the league in QB rating yesterday. Nine did better, nine did worse. (Purdy was 158 and the Giants kid had 137.)

And nobody had worse WRs as a group than Kyler.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many starting NFL QBs can miss HORRIBLY on easy passes over the middle to McBride and Higgins, while having a clean pocket, both of whom were wide open for big gains? How many starting QBs STILL have problems getting plays off, even though that hasn’t been a problem all season?

You don’t build around the once in a while spectacle, that’s not a consistent passer, who somehow lost complete control of his long ball.

If you’re really into the guy who can do the spectacular every once in a while, do so for a hell of a lot cheaper in the draft instead of blowing 1/3rd of your cap on one.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
How many starting NFL QBs can miss HORRIBLY on easy passes over the middle to McBride and Higgins, while having a clean pocket, both of whom were wide open for big gains? How many starting QBs STILL have problems getting plays off, even though that hasn’t been a problem all season?

You don’t build around the once in a while spectacle, that’s not a consistent passer, who somehow lost complete control of his long ball.

If you’re really into the guy who can do the spectacular every once in a while, do so for a hell of a lot cheaper in the draft instead of blowing 1/3rd of your cap on one.
I'm willing to consider the "didn't have off-season and didn't have camp" as reasons for some of this.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
How many starting NFL QBs can miss HORRIBLY on easy passes over the middle to McBride and Higgins, while having a clean pocket, both of whom were wide open for big gains?
this is the confounding thing

for most of his career -- accuracy was his thing

that ball he threw to McBride was a knuckleball

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is a LOT of bad QB play in the NFL. This is why the McCown's, Gabberts, McCoy, Dobbs, etc, etc, etc hang around forever and get multiple opportunities to be the guy before moving into permanent journeyman role. Which, even then, from the lack of QBs coming out of college who can hack it at all, they have steady employment.

I get the frustration. But Kyler could do really well on a lot of other teams. Imagine if he was the Dallas QB. He would be just fine. I don't think they would even miss Prescott.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is the confounding thing

for most of his career -- accuracy was his thing

that ball he threw to McBride was a knuckleball
That was one of the worst passes he has ever thrown. To me, it looked like one of those where a QB at the very last second doesn't want to throw it and tries to hold on to it. But, too late. Has Kyler been asked about it?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Numbers are great until you watch the game and seem him underthrow a couple TDs and unnecessary rush a crucial third down pass among his other clock management foibles that don’t show in those numbers.

You must be registered for see images attach

haha j/k Ouchie. Hope you and the fam have a great holiday! :)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
As much as I see warning lights on the last paragraph I’m not adverse to it.
Sandy eggs drafting Rivers motivated Brees to hire a personal QB coach in the off season... dude came in and was lights out during Rivers rookie season until that shoulder injury...they let him go... Rivers was solid for the bolts and Brees is going to Canton.
I know it's a generally unadvised situation but it worked out well for all parties involved in that case.

Hey... maybe we even draft caleb...he doesn't want to play for us...so we trade him to the giants for Maye and some picks.... repetitive history and all that

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There is a LOT of bad QB play in the NFL. This is why the McCown's, Gabberts, McCoy, Dobbs, etc, etc, etc hang around forever and get multiple opportunities to be the guy before moving into permanent journeyman role. Which, even then, from the lack of QBs coming out of college who can hack it at all, they have steady employment.

I get the frustration. But Kyler could do really well on a lot of other teams. Imagine if he was the Dallas QB. He would be just fine. I don't think they would even miss Prescott.

Wait a second here.

Blaine Gabbert hasn't started a season opener since 2013 (his third season in Jacksonville.

Colt McCoy opened one season as the starting quarterback (2011 with the Browns).

Josh Dobbs was only a QB3 or lower until this year.

Luke McCown was never an opening-day starter.

Josh McCown started the 2004 season with the Cards, the 2007 season with the Raiders, the 2014 season with the Bucs (inexplicably), and some others scattered here and there.

You're thinking of guys like Sam Bradford and Carson Wentz, who get starting jobs based on pedigree long after they've shown what they are.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait a second here.

Blaine Gabbert hasn't started a season opener since 2013 (his third season in Jacksonville.

Colt McCoy opened one season as the starting quarterback (2011 with the Browns).

Josh Dobbs was only a QB3 or lower until this year.

Luke McCown was never an opening-day starter.

Josh McCown started the 2004 season with the Cards, the 2007 season with the Raiders, the 2014 season with the Bucs (inexplicably), and some others scattered here and there.

You're thinking of guys like Sam Bradford and Carson Wentz, who get starting jobs based on pedigree long after they've shown what they are.
You came up with better examples, so thank you.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Problem is he’s not being paid to be “just fine.” And I’m not sure if you meant the Prescott comment to be more of a back-handed complement to Kyler, but it is.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem is he’s not being paid to be “just fine.” And I’m not sure if you meant the Prescott comment to be more of a back-handed complement to Kyler, but it is.
We can sit here and dog on Dak Prescott and Kyler Murray all we want. But there is a reason they have monster contracts. The NFL is QB poor. Dak's cap number next year is like 59 million. The supply of QBs is so poor, that anyone who has proven to have talent and can take teams to the playoffs is going to get paid outrageously.

Get a rookie, who the hell knows? You don't know if they will be as good as Kyler.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree a bit on the line. Either Kyler still isn't comfortable throwing with anticipation or WRs can't get open, but there were several times he seemed to be unable to get the ball out and took hits. Based on some of his throws, the evidence leans to him either being late on his reads or not trusting them. The other possibility is that he still can't read NFL defenses but I am not ready to go there yet.
Get ready to duck! Lol. Seems you can’t state anything that leans toward a potential Murray shortcoming.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard