poll: so why did the suns lost to the spurs?

why did the suns lose?

• spurs are better than the suns

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • suns were out-coached

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • stern & jackson threw us a curveball

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • blame amare & diaw

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • only nash & amare showed up - rest of team..??

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • other feel free to comment

Votes: 9 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because they didn't win!

Ok, what do I win now?

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
you didn't have an all of the above option.

MaNuMaNiAc

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
IMO there are three choices that are accurate in that poll.

1) The Spurs are better than the Suns (I'm a Spurs fan, can you tell?)
2) The suspensions killed you (hard to argue the suspensions didn't mess with the series)
and 3) Blame Amare and Diaw (noone else is at fault here IMO)

I honestly think the Spurs would have still beaten the Suns in game 5 with a complete roster. It would have been a completely different scenario, with different intensities and equally motivated teams. Still, like you say, we will never know, which is not to say the series deserves an asterisk IMO. Still, I'm not trying to pour salt on the wound, the Suns played great basketball, suspensions aside it was a great series to watch.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted that people didn't show up.

Barbosa had a negative value on the court at times. Marion's play was up and down. Same with Raja and James Jones.

Ultimately the team lost 3 games at full strength.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Simply stated, the Suns are a better Regular Season team, and the Spurs are a far superior Post Season team.
Until the Suns can prove they can execute in a half-court setting, both offensively and defensively, they will never be Champions...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the biggest reason they lost was because they took on the characteristics of their coach and were too emotional and got goaded into a meltdown - bottom line.

we don't know who the better straight up basketball team was and that's the most disappointing thing about the playoffs. We don't know if we have to get better or can stand pat.

what we DO know is that DA's hysterics on the court provided a negative example of how to contain yourself in pressure packed moments and two of our younger players followed their captain to their demise. Bottom line, this team needs to get mentally tougher. It remains to be seen if that can happen with the current coaching staff/players. That's what's so frustrating right now.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Most of the above.

I don't believe Spurs are better than Suns talent wise, maybe experience and mental toughness wise.

I definitely believe we were out coached. Not properly using KT in game 1, could have resulted in different outcome. It was a close game. Not using bench and only going with six players the entire game 5, caused starters to run out of gas in the end.

Suspension did affect game 5 outcome. I strongly believe we would have won game 5 and quite handedly.

Barbosa was a no show the entire series. In fact, he hurt us at times by out of control drives and turnovers. Bell's shooting was not there. Never expected much from Jones anyway. And Diaw has been a huge disappointment entire year so wasn't expecting much from him as well.

I also believe we played decent defense at times but also had major breakdowns possible costing us games like 3rd quarter wide open 3 pointers to their shooters. Game 5 Bowen shot was also pretty much uncontested.

Hopefully, we will learn from these things and get even better next year. Hey, it was losing to Spurs in 5 games in 2005. Then in 6 games in 2007. We are making progress :). Who knows we may be able to beat them next year.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think it was a combination of factors, but I'd put coaching at the top of the heap - you know me.

I hate sideline antics by coaches - to me its an admission they didn't do their job preparing the team for the games. Most first rate coaches sit down and pay very close attention to what is happening on the floor. I didn't think it was possible for a coach to be worse than Ainge in this regard but Mike has him by a good margin.

Mike was also responsible for the horrible state of our bench - and its not something new. As much as Nash is responsible for 'career' years by teammates, D'Antoni is able to coach his bench so they have career bad years - with the exception of Barbosa and he had the benefit of a personal coach as a counterbalance. Imagine, back when Mike was making a mess of Hunter we were seeing him at his best.

I even give the coaches the bulk of the credit for Amare and Diaw getting suspended and the rest goes to the two players. I've hated Stern for years but he was consistent with his prior interpretations of leaving the bench during fracases. I'd have been glad if he'd found some way not to suspend them but I didn't have significant hope that he would. My only question about it is that the league does not have its own cameras taping both benches so that the rule can be enforced equitably.

I strongly agree with Cheese's comment that we didn't get important information about our strength relative to the Spurs. I lean toward the Spurs still being the better team, though the difference is probably due to the refs refusing to call fouls on Bruce Bowen.

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
Good comment, Errntknight. I'd give more weight to bad refs--Duncan has been doing his hand-on-the-waist trick for years, so if they haven't learned to catch it by now, it's incompetence or bias. And to a good chunk of bad luck--I can't imagine why Banks' offensive capacities deserted him so badly this year--he shot better with other teams.... I don't agree that the Spurs are the better team, if the refs call games evenly.

Sunshooter

Registered
Reaction score
stern & jackson is a reason

but the coaching level is another reason

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
Simply stated, the Suns are a better Regular Season team, and the Spurs are a far superior Post Season team.
Until the Suns can prove they can execute in a half-court setting, both offensively and defensively, they will never be Champions...

Gonna dissagree here. When we had Amare, we beat them twice and they beat us twice - In the playoffs. Losing Amare is like losing Duncan for the Spurs.

Again, I don't understand the lack of respect for how we destroyed the Spurs in game 2 and won in game 4. We were competing. We were stoping them in half court sets. They were too, but that's why it was such a great series.

I get so mad that nobody seems realize how their misjudging this series because Amare and Boris got suspended. Unfortunately I have no choice but to discard the two games after the suspension.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For me, what allowed the Spurs to win was the refs letting the Spurs play physically without calling fouls on them. If Bowen wasn't allowed to ride Nash all over the court then our offense would actually be able to execute and we'd be able to get open shots. With the way the refs allowed Bowen to constantly foul Nash completely destroyed our offense and made us work 10x harder than we normally have to. It's extremely hard to overcome that on a nightly basis and control your emotions when you know your getting screwed night in and night out.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
poll: so why did the suns lost to the spurs?

Because you have no underestanding of correct grammar?

:bang:

Last edited: