Phoenix @ Milwaukee - Game Thread - Friday - January 26, 2007

sunsfn

Reaction score
Phoenix at Milwaukee

Friday, January 26 2007

Suns-Bucks Preview

Most NBA franchises have never enjoyed a 15-game winning streak. They have become almost commonplace for the Phoenix Suns this season.
The Suns look to set a franchise record with their 16th consecutive victory Friday when they continue a five-game road trip against the struggling Milwaukee Bucks.
Phoenix (34-8) used 63-point second half Wednesday to beat the New York Knicks 112-107.
Barely a month after establishing a team record with a 15-game win streak, the Suns matched that run Wednesday. They are the first team to have two win streaks of at least 15 games in the same season since the Los Angeles Lakers had runs of 19 and 16 in a row during the 1999-00 season.
The other teams with two 15-game winning streaks are the 1996-97 Utah Jazz (both 15); the 1970-71 Bucks (20, 16); and the 1946-47 Washington Capitals (17, 15). Phoenix, though, is the first team to do it before the All-Star break.
"Especially in the first 41 games (actually 42), it's pretty tough," Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said of the streaks. "We take care of business, guys come out and play hard every night. They know when we should win. We've had some breaks along the way. Some people have been out. Hopefully it just keeps going and we keep getting better."
Making the Suns' accomplishment even more impressive is how many current NBA franchises have never won 15 straight. Only 10 teams have won 15 consecutive games, and only seven have won more than 15.
"I think you've got to be a good team," guard Steve Nash said. "I think we have a lot of talent and have great chemistry and some mental toughness. Whatever mental toughness we lack to start games we find somewhere in us to win games. I think that's part of the key."
Amare Stoudemire keyed the Suns' big second half Wednesday, scoring 26 of his 30 points after the break.
Nash added 22 points and 14 assists while Shawn Marion had 20 points and 10 boards for Phoenix, which improved to 19-1 against Eastern Conference teams -- 10-0 on the road. The last team to win its first 10 interconference road games was Utah, which opened 11-0 in 1994-95.
Wednesday's victory also meant D'Antoni will coach the West in next month's All-Star game. With Dallas' Avery Johnson ineligible because he coached last year, D'Antoni earned the spot by clinching the highest winning percentage among coaches through games of Feb. 4.
The Suns figure to have a good chance to extend their run against the Bucks (17-25), losers of five straight and 10 of 11.
Despite a career-high 36 points from Earl Boykins, Milwaukee couldn't overcome Ron Artest's 36 points Wednesday in a 114-106 loss at Sacramento.
"The ultimate goal is to win basketball games and whenever you play well (and lose) it's an empty feeling," Boykins said. "Tonight we just didn't start the game in the right mind frame. We got down 10 points in the first quarter, which made it very difficult."
The Bucks are still without injured starters Michael Redd, Charlie Villanueva and Mo Williams. They are 1-8 without Redd -- the league's sixth-leading scorer -- and have fallen into last place in the Central Division.
None of the injured players are expected to be available Friday.
The Suns made it 19 straight home wins over the Bucks with a 122-116 victory on Dec. 1.
Phoenix has won 26 of the last 30 meetings overall, but has lost two of its last three visits to Milwaukee.

HooverDam

Reaction score
^Agreed, Nash has started a little cattywompus so far. The up and down, a bad pass or two, and a few missed open shots. I'm sure he'll get on track. He nearly had an offensive tip in, which would've been exciting.

Maybe they should have Nash post up Boynkins, for no other reason than it will probably be Nash's only chance to post anyone all year.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Why does Nash always get turnovers in bunches?

He'll go 3 quarters without a TO then he'll get 4 in 2 minutes.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Whoa Marcus Banks sighting....could the Suns be trying to showcase him? Or are they simply resting other guys? Hmmm

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Said their trying to rest Raja who had back-to-back 40 minute nights. Come on Banks, do something. You need to show us some potential

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
dude...im nit picking for sure here, but James Jones is a stupid offensive player, he rushes up his shots before the team gets into sets.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Said their trying to rest Raja who had back-to-back 40 minute nights. Come on Banks, do something. You need to show us some potential

Damn nice steal at the end of the quarter, too bad he couldn't knock down the three (though it did look like he shuffled his feet between the steal and the shot)

EDIT: Damn, who is supposed to be covering Ilyasova? If that was Banks' man, he's going to be in the dog house even more than he was before.

Last edited:

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I guess were going to hear yet another Nash speech about professionalism and championships tonight.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Is there an online way to check play by play????

nba.com and espn.com suck since they are 5 min delayed

yahoo used to be good but has been f***** up for the last few weeks and has skips plays???

I'm out of town traveling and want to follow play by play.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The entire team has looked sluggish now for 2 games in a row. They better come out focused in the 2nd half.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Bleck, the Suns are just off tonight. I don't think they'll lose, but this has been a very disappointing game.

I'd like to see Jumaine get a few minutes, see if he can do anything- it cant hurt, someones got to be able to do something.

EDIT: I just got a piece of gum out of the novelty gumball dispenser my sister got me for christmas, somehow two gumballs came out- there colors? Purple and orange. 'Tis a sign, Suns will win tonight.

Last edited:

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I was nervous until Raja finally hit that shot. It's kind of disheartining seeing a total hack like Bogut look like Shaq out there.

Sundance

Registered
Reaction score
Lebron's sorry ass better play Sunday. I'd hate to see another ugly, half-hearted game from the Suns which, no doubt, will surely follow if he's out.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nash looked tired tonight, but most of his fatigue was due to chasing Earl Boykins around the basketball court.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It was weird having to actually pay attention to the score with less than 1:00 left.

Just win.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash looked tired tonight, but most of his fatigue was due to chasing Earl Boykins around the basketball court.

Yes, Nash didn't look like his self tonight (e.g. numerous turnovers) even though he had a decent scoring night and a large number of assists. I'm not sure if Boykins was the problem although he didn't help. I was really worried when Nash was almost pleading to come out in the third quarter.

Nash definitely needs the day off tomorrow.

The Suns win the second game in a row without playing well. This is the sign of a good team. Raja was great but the Suns' bench did not come through. The Suns looked like a tired basketball team.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
James Jones was ice cold tonight. Id like to see Jumaine Jones come in when James cant hit 'em

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Even more surprising to me was that Boris did not have one single assist.