Phoenix Mercury 2017 Season Thread

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great win tonight. DBack's win, Mercury wins, love ittttttttt.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Brittney Griner scored 26 points, and Diana Taurasi added 17 for Phoenix (4-3).

The Liberty built a 14-point lead in the first half before the Mercury chipped it away. New York led 56-54 midway through the third quarter before outscoring Phoenix 16-9 the rest of the period. Zellous had seven points during that run to close the period, including getting it started with a three-point play. Phoenix could only get within nine in the fourth quarter.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...31/robinson-talbot-help-mercury-re/356709001/

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The referees are seriously hurting the product. Indiana hits two shots in the 3rd quarter and actually reduces the lead by scoring 20 thanks to free throws.

Taurusi recently addressed this issue in an interview:

Vertsberger: You had that whole back-and-forth with Elena Delle Donne when she suggested lowering the rims to nine feet. In relation to that, if you could see one rule change or something different about the W happen as an improvement, what would it be?

Taurasi: I’d probably take all the NBA refs. As the game goes forward, I think the way the game is viewed and the game is played has to change, has to evolve. I mean you come to the game tonight and it’s like a 1990s Knicks vs. Detroit Pistons game, no one wants to watch that, no one wants to play in that. People want to see the [Kevin] Durants and that type of ability being shown on the court. You don’t want to see a slugfest, wrestling. I don’t, and I like wrestling.

I've played and watched a lot of basketball; the routine incompetence of these crews is infuriating. They're not only unskilled, but they are also activist officials. They call everything, including things that don't happen.

This also happens with the fledgling referees at NBA Summer League. It's a whistle every play, and it destroys the flow of the game. The WNBA needs to invest in better referees and smarter rules policies.

Every game I go to, the referees end up being a storyline. With a league that rarely gets the benefit of the doubt, this needs to change...For the good of the sport.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I 100% agree with your post, CPN. The refs are absolutely my least favorite part of the game. The constant foul calls are so damn annoying. Then they miss the obvious foul calls. Frustrating.

As for the game, man, Griner was on fire. I love her aggressiveness this season. She is definitely playing like an MVP this year.

I love DT but she took about 5 3 pt shots near the end of the game and missed them all. Brutal play at the end by her. Thankfully the other 4 came to play today.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Griner was unstoppable. She seems like a completely different player this year. It always felt like something was off for her last season.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'll be at the game tonight. Center court facing the benches, 18th row. It will be fun being part of the X-factor.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Going as well. Excited to see how we match up this year against the defending champs.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the worst officiated games I have ever witnessed. And it's only one half of basketball so far.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tough loss. Griner was timid and in foul trouble the first half (the first 3 calls were bullcrap fouls). Sucks because I think she was the difference in the game.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One of the worst officiated games I have ever witnessed. And it's only one half of basketball so far.

The second half was definitely better, but you're right...The first half was absolutely atrocious. It's really sad when the bad officiating is one of the major takeaways from almost every game.

Griner doesn't stand a chance of staying out of foul trouble, unfortunately. She's in foul trouble pretty much every game, whether she deserves the calls or not. Seems like Talbot and even Taurusi are in foul trouble every game too. If you're aggressive, you're doomed because the refs love to blow the whistle and can't differentiate between fouls and strong defense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson