PFW on Wells as the fans whipping boy

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats ok, id rather watch lutui learn and get better than watch faneca retire.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wells is an athletic player that does a few things athletically that we probably don't notice. IMO, he would do far better at OT. I do notice bad football plays, though, which take no expert to explain. I played the game, and pro or college or high school, I can think of no standard running play that involves being mauled by the defender 3 yards into the backfield. Sorry, but Wells is not strong enough to be an inside guard, I don't care what the coaches say or think.

Stout

Reaction score
How is it uneducated to want to see a player blossom rather than a guy come over at the end of his career?

Because, beside the fact that Faneca isn't retiring (I recognize the sarcasm), he's a Pro Bowler at the height of his career. He might fade faster than other players in the future, but I somehow doubt he became a scrub overnight.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because, beside the fact that Faneca isn't retiring (I recognize the sarcasm), he's a Pro Bowler at the height of his career. He might fade faster than other players in the future, but I somehow doubt he became a scrub overnight.

I dont think he will be a scrub at all, but he will be done in a few years.

Lutui has as least 10 years left barring injury and has nothing but upside.

I'm failing to see the "uneducated" part of it.

Is this just a stab because I decided to party at asu instead of learn at Penn State?

Stout

Reaction score
I dont think he will be a scrub at all, but he will be done in a few years.

Lutui has as least 10 years left barring injury and has nothing but upside.

I'm failing to see the "uneducated" part of it.

Is this just a stab because I decided to party at asu instead of learn at Penn State?

:biglaugh: Nice thread crossover. I deserve that from my venting elsewhere.

Your rhetoric was way over the top. It implied that Faneca had nothing left and wouldn't have made any sense for us, saying he would simply come here to retire. I have nothing wrong with you wanting to let Lutui learn instead of signing an older Pro Bowler, other than disagreeing personally. Your statement was goofy, that's all.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:biglaugh: Nice thread crossover. I deserve that from my venting elsewhere.

Your rhetoric was way over the top. It implied that Faneca had nothing left and wouldn't have made any sense for us, saying he would simply come here to retire. I have nothing wrong with you wanting to let Lutui learn instead of signing an older Pro Bowler, other than disagreeing personally. Your statement was goofy, that's all.

It is my opinion that Faneca has hit his peak and will be servicable for 3 years max, for the kind of money he demands I will take a cheap player like lutui who I feel has the fire to develop into a perrenial pro bowler himself.

Stout

Reaction score
It is my opinion that Faneca has hit his peak and will be servicable for 3 years max, for the kind of money he demands I will take a cheap player like lutui who I feel has the fire to develop into a perrenial pro bowler himself.

Right. That's just not what you said. From your statement, I did not read you thought he had anything to offer.

Whatev, man, no biggie. You wrote something, I read it one way, you meant it another. Let's have a :beer: and go pick on the kid from Jeannette :D

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
adding to that, the development of lutui and bad levi brown is crucuial to the future of the franchise. If they both develop into great players we could have the best right side in the league. Sticking some old guy in there wouldnt help their continuity one bit.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, just spirited conversation, I think lutui/brown along with lienart and fitz = the cardinals future.

Stout

Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, just spirited conversation, I think lutui/brown along with lienart and fitz = the cardinals future.

I certainly hope you are right, and I'm confident in Lutui. I just think it was a lot of smoke, and that Wells would have been slid to OT, Gandy cut or re-structured as a backup, and Lutui left alone.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it was en fuego or someone who said it best. Maybe we should stop trying to replace the lineman that two different respected OLINE coaches have considered one of their most important pieces. Maybe we don't know as much as we like to think we do.

Or maybe collectively, we know more than the powers that have brought us a team, that is 2-5 all time in the playoffs. :shrug:

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I certainly hope you are right, and I'm confident in Lutui. I just think it was a lot of smoke, and that Wells would have been slid to OT, Gandy cut or re-structured as a backup, and Lutui left alone.
Wells may be better at tackle than he is at guard, but he is no where near as good of one as Gandy. Not close IMO. I honestly thing Gandy is the best tackle the Cardinals have had in my lifetime.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wells may be better at tackle than he is at guard, but he is no where near as good of one as Gandy. Not close IMO. I honestly thing Gandy is the best tackle the Cardinals have had in my lifetime.

So, I guess you're about 10 years of age... and thus can't remember Lomas Brown. ;)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im 25 and dont remember lomas brown but i stopped following football in jr high and high school in favor of drugs and alcohol, i came back in 2001ish. Missed the best team we have fielded in my lifetime in 98!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Add me to the list of Wells naysayers - not because he doesn't have any redeeming qualities (he has pretty good feet and can pass block) but because he doesn't fit the job description for what we need at LG - namely, someone who can block for the power running game that Wiz says he wants to implement.

What you'd hope to see are opposing linemen being knocked back on their ass. Instead you either see a "push" rather than a "pop" and a whiff when blocking on the move.

It doesn't mean that Reggie isn't committed, valuable or versatile - he just isn't what the doctor ordered for what we need at the position he plays.

(Unless - as some have said - we're missing something).

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Add me to the list of Wells naysayers - not because he doesn't have any redeeming qualities (he has pretty good feet and can pass block) but because he doesn't fit the job description for what we need at LG - namely, someone who can block for the power running game that Wiz says he wants to implement.

What you'd hope to see are opposing linemen being knocked back on their ass. Instead you either see a "push" rather than a "pop" and a whiff when blocking on the move.

It doesn't mean that Reggie isn't committed, valuable or versatile - he just isn't what the doctor ordered for what we need at the position he plays.

(Unless - as some have said - we're missing something).
I think those days are over. We just agreed to pay a non-blocking WR 40 mill and are about to give Q the same type of money. Whiz said when he came he that sometimes you have to adapt the system to fit the players qualities. If we plan to retain some of our other stars (especially with how Rod will take forever just to give the player exactly what he wants) our O-line will continually be made of of cheap youngsters and inexpensive journeymen.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think those days are over.

I am on the other end. I think those days are just starting. It is no secret our Oline is not a power running game line.

I think Levi Brown, and Lutui fit the bill. I think Gandy and Johnson are adequate and Wells is a solid player but is not a system prototype for a power running game.

2 players out of 5 is not a good enough ratio. Since this is the current state of the team it is good to have two monster WR's to fall back on. Which is what coach Whiz did last year.

Fitzgerald and Boldin (at least for now) have contracts that are up in 4 years. That is 4 year to get our line to where Whiz wants it.

I see it as a change that will happen over time, and not over one offseason.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
rattay & hasselbeck

The word I'd seen in an article before was that Rattay felt he could get a job as a #2 QB somewhere and didn't want to take a #3 job here if he could find a #2 spot elsewhere.

I'm 97% sure thats why they were talking about having Hasselbeck compete for the #3 job instead of the Ratman

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am on the other end. I think those days are just starting. It is no secret our Oline is not a power running game line.

I think Levi Brown, and Lutui fit the bill. I think Gandy and Johnson are adequate and Wells is a solid player but is not a system prototype for a power running game.

2 players out of 5 is not a good enough ratio. Since this is the current state of the team it is good to have two monster WR's to fall back on. Which is what coach Whiz did last year.

Fitzgerald and Boldin (at least for now) have contracts that are up in 4 years. That is 4 year to get our line to where Whiz wants it.

I see it as a change that will happen over time, and not over one offseason.
Here's to hoping you are right. :cheers:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like to see him at tackle myself.

Agreed. Better tackle then guard. A good player to have on the roster but not as a starter in my opinion. An upgrade at this position would have really helped us going into next year.

Lutui is better than him now and in my opinion just needs more experience to be a pretty good player in this league.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort