Per Suns: Devin Booker has a Mild hamstring strain. No time table on return at this time

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Suns would do well to beat the Pelicans in this playoff series. Until they do, I'm not even thinking about the future.

I'm not counting on Booker returning anytime soon. Suns have to think about getting through each game. The rest is beyond their control.

I'm not confident at this point until the Suns prove otherwise. They have not played good defense of late and their rebounding has disappeared.
This is, unfortunately, where I am at.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why are you all so scared of the Pelicans all of a sudden? They're definitely better with CJ Mccollum, but he's a zero time all-star whose team always lost in the playoffs despite having one of the 75 best players (allegedly) in NBA history.

The Suns shouldn't lose another game to them. If they do then Booker deserves the MVP.
A) McCollum is on a different than the one you’re referencing and it’s a team that’s killing us on the boards.
B) we just lost our MVP candidate

Those are two good reasons for changing a stance “suddenly,” no?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A) McCollum is on a different than the one you’re referencing and it’s a team that’s killing us on the boards.

This. The Pelicans are not the same team that we had seen all season long. Also, anybody that truly believes Booker is an MVP candidate also has to admit what a massive loss this is to our team. We should still get this done. I am not sure "scared" is the right word to me. I am overly anxious about it being harder without Book.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why are you all so scared of the Pelicans all of a sudden? They're definitely better with CJ Mccollum, but he's a zero time all-star whose team always lost in the playoffs despite having one of the 75 best players (allegedly) in NBA history.

The Suns shouldn't lose another game to them. If they do then Booker deserves the MVP.

And Booker was a zero time All-Star for far too long because of the way the selection process is screwed up. McCollum isn't on Book's level now but they were quite comparable not that long ago. CJ didn't regress either, it was Booker who took his game to another level and this is McCollum's first opportunity to really raise his game.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Welp! There's blood in the water now, everyone smells it and they are circling!

If we ever deserved to be a championship team now is the time to PROVE it.
We have the best coach in the league BAR NONE.
We have a Point God, any other teams have a Point God? And ours has a CHIP on his shoulder and his mind. tick tock
We have 5 to 7 players left that can step up on any given night.
Just relax until there's a real reason not to, like if we lose twice in NO.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Suns aren’t beating this team and advancing without Book, bottom line

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who are looking for hope. Devin Booker has not been ruled out for game 4.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns aren’t beating this team and advancing without Book, bottom line
We aren't winning it all without Booker but I'm not sure we can't win a series without him. We haven't played up to our level for quite awhile but Devin isn't the only reason we won 64 games this season. We just need to see more consistent effort from every player.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think people are worried because:

a) The Suns haven’t looked like the Suns for almost a month now since they clinched

b) we haven’t looked that good in this series. After taking a big lead in Game 1, we need an incredible fourth quarter solo run by CP3 to finish that game after almost blowing all of a 24 point lead. And then we just got run out of our own gym in Game 2.

c) most important, we just lost our best player and a legit MVP candidate.

d) their size is killing us on the boards and we don’t have the personnel to really make an adjustment there… or don’t believe Monty will try to go BIG BIG.

But I think it’s the combo of A and C which is why people are so worried. This team all season has been able to withstand injuries to everyone… but it’s been a while since they looked like the Suns who were a machine so now a big injury is a bigger unknown with how we handle it.

I still think we gut out the series in 7 without Book, but it ain’t gonna be easy and I expect a bunch of hairy moments getting there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think people are worried because:

a) The Suns haven’t looked like the Suns for almost a month now since they clinched

b) we haven’t looked that good in this series. After taking a big lead in Game 1, we need an incredible fourth quarter solo run by CP3 to finish that game after almost blowing all of a 24 point lead. And then we just got run out of our own gym in Game 2.

c) most important, we just lost our best player and a legit MVP candidate.

d) their size is killing us on the boards and we don’t have the personnel to really make an adjustment there… or don’t believe Monty will try to go BIG BIG.

But I think it’s the combo of A and C which is why people are so worried. This team all season has been able to withstand injuries to everyone… but it’s been a while since they looked like the Suns who were a machine so now a big injury is a bigger unknown with how we handle it.

I still think we gut out the series in 7 without Book, but it ain’t gonna be easy and I expect a bunch of hairy moments getting there.

I wish the Suns had given Ayton more of a look at power forward. Suns may well have to play two centers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vegas still has the Suns winning and the title favorites. I'll trust their judgement a little bit because I'd call this series a toss up going forward.

I think as Suns fans that were all so used to gut punches and falling short that we're all feeling deflated by Book's injury. It's totally reasonable but almost everyone outside of Phoenix and New Orleans has us winning still.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vegas still has the Suns winning and the title favorites. I'll trust their judgement a little bit because I'd call this series a toss up going forward.

I think as Suns fans that were all so used to gut punches and falling short that we're all feeling deflated by Book's injury. It's totally reasonable but almost everyone outside of Phoenix and New Orleans has us winning still.
Yeah… and it’s not like this team hasn’t faced long odds before either. Last year, CP3 seemed like he was done with that freak shoulder injury, we lost 2 straight to the Lakers and were embarrassed in Game 3 to go down 2-1 and we roared back to destroy them
in 3 straight games. True, we got CP3 kinda back in that series And then got a break with AD going down.

Just saying, last year at this time the entire board was a morgue arguing whether or not CP3 should even be on the court and should Monty bench him.

One win tonight and everyone’s outlook changes. But they gotta bring that focus they had all season until clinching. If not, well, I don’t want to go there yet.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I didn't ask why you changed your stance. I asked why everyone was scared of the Pelicans. Ingram and McCollum are good players, but its not like they're Steph Curry and Kevin Durant.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't ask why you changed your stance. I asked why everyone was scared of the Pelicans. Ingram and McCollum are good players, but its not like they're Steph Curry and Kevin Durant.

I don't know if anyone is scared of the Pelicans but the reality of the situation is they aren't your usual 8 seed and this series will be much more of a battle than if we faced any other play in team and that was before Booker went down.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone is scared of the Pelicans but the reality of the situation is they aren't your usual 8 seed and this series will be much more of a battle than if we faced any other play in team and that was before Booker went down.

I don't agree. I think the Clippers would have been a much tougher foe, probably another 6 gamer like last year. Verses the Pelicans... if Booker doesn't get hurt I think we're reaching for brooms right now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't agree. I think the Clippers would have been a much tougher foe, probably another 6 gamer like last year. Verses the Pelicans... if Booker doesn't get hurt I think we're reaching for brooms right now.
Same.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Sorry to bump without an update but if we lose game 5 does he give it a go? It will have been 10 days by game 6. What you don’t want is a significant tear and the rest of his career is KJ…

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I doubt he plays game 5. If they lose then hes playing game 6, if it makes it to 7 then hes playing game 7. I think thats clear, if nothing else hes a decoy set shooter on a minutes restriction

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Tick Tock MFer!
Wrap it up take the Cz shot and lead us to the promised land.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sorry to bump without an update but if we lose game 5 does he give it a go? It will have been 10 days by game 6. What you don’t want is a significant tear and the rest of his career is KJ…

If Suns lose game 5, my preference is they roll Booker out there even if he's not a 100%. I'd take a banged up Booker over giving Payne or Craig more minutes based on how they've been playing.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If Suns lose game 5, my preference is they roll Booker out there even if he's not a 100%. I'd take a banged up Booker over giving Payne or Craig more minutes based on how they've been playing.
Yep. They will need it for the emotional boost alone going into that building to avoid elimination. FWIW Flex said Book strained his hamstring in the finals and played thru it. Granted if that one was as minor as this one he’d be playing tomorrow. :(

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yep. They will need it for the emotional boost alone going into that building to avoid elimination. FWIW Flex said Book strained his hamstring in the finals and played thru it. Granted if that one was as minor as this one he’d be playing tomorrow. :(
I was thinking the same thing. If he’s done it before he can do it again.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tick Tock MFer!
Wrap it up take the Cz shot and lead us to the promised land.

I know you are just kidding, but this reminds me of a book I read about Reggie Jackson's days with the Oakland A's when I was a kid. If I remember correctly, it described how he was running stealing bases and kept going despite a hamstring injury. He stole one base and had a strain, stole third and hurt the hamstring more. Finally, he stole home and completely tore the hamstring.

Just did a little Youtube research and found it below. Turns out, this was in the ALCS and it kept him from playing in the World Series that year.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think he comes back until Game 7 if there is one, facing elimination or not. Last thing the team needs is to see Devin come out and then go full AD on the court like Game 6 last year against the Lakers. That would destroy any Hope whatsoever, IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson