Per Suns: Devin Booker has a Mild hamstring strain. No time table on return at this time

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Devin Booker was listed as OUT for game 6 against the Pelicans. I kept wondering why they didn't list him as doubtful or questionable.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker was listed as OUT for game 6 against the Pelicans. I kept wondering why they didn't list him as doubtful or questionable.
I think they did...sounds like they just missed the league deadline. Just before pre-game I heard someone say he was upgraded.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Below is the rule.

Rarely do players who are listed as OUT by 5 p.m. local time the day prior to a game (other than back-to-back games) play the next day.

I've only seen it happen once before and I thought it was a reporting error.

If there is a question whether a player will play they are usually listed as doubtful, questionable or probable the day prior.

NBA teams must report information concerning player injuries, illnesses and rest for all NBA games. By 5 p.m. local time on the day before a game (other than the second day of a back-to-back), teams must designate a participation status and identify a specific injury, illness or potential instance of a healthy player resting for any player whose participation in the game may be affected by such injury, illness or rest.
For the second game of a back-to-back, teams must report the above information by 1 p.m. local time on the day of the game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Below is the rule.

Rarely do players who are listed as OUT by 5 p.m. local time the day prior to a game (other than back-to-back games) play the next day.

I've only seen it happen once before and I thought it was a reporting error.

If there is a question whether a player will play they are usually listed as doubtful, questionable or probable the day prior.

I get the rule but I think it's BS. If I were the Suns I'd raise a stink over the scheduling. It's ridiculous how we played every other day while almost every other team had extended breaks. 5 game series between the Warriors and Nuggets last 12 days with 2 days off between games 2 & 3, 3 & 4, and 4 & 5. Memphis and Minnesota was 6 games over 14 days, with 3 breaks of 2 days off as well. Utah vs Dallas was 6 games over 13 days with 2 breaks of 2 days off. While the Suns vs Pelicans played 6 games over 12 with only 1 break of 2 days off.

Why did the Suns get screwed?

In the East the Heat played the Hawks 5 games in 10 days with only a single 2 day break. The Celtics played the Nets 4 games in 9 days and had 2 breaks of 2 days off. The Sixers played the Raptors 6 games over 13 days with 2 breaks of 2 or more days off. The Bucks played the Bulls in 5 games over 11 days with 2 breaks of 2 days off.

The Warriors had the most time off any first round team and only played 5 games and their 2nd round series appears cushy as well with 3 full days off between games 2 and 3.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the rule but I think it's BS. If I were the Suns I'd raise a stink over the scheduling. It's ridiculous how we played every other day while almost every other team had extended breaks. 5 game series between the Warriors and Nuggets last 12 days with 2 days off between games 2 & 3, 3 & 4, and 4 & 5. Memphis and Minnesota was 6 games over 14 days, with 3 breaks of 2 days off as well. Utah vs Dallas was 6 games over 13 days with 2 breaks of 2 days off. While the Suns vs Pelicans played 6 games over 12 with only 1 break of 2 days off.

Why did the Suns get screwed?

In the East the Heat played the Hawks 5 games in 10 days with only a single 2 day break. The Celtics played the Nets 4 games in 9 days and had 2 breaks of 2 days off. The Sixers played the Raptors 6 games over 13 days with 2 breaks of 2 or more days off. The Bucks played the Bulls in 5 games over 11 days with 2 breaks of 2 days off.

The Warriors had the most time off any first round team and only played 5 games and their 2nd round series appears cushy as well with 3 full days off between games 2 and 3.

The injury report rules are something all teams are required to follow. I don't understand why the Suns didn't list Booker in another category such as doubtful or questionable instead of out. I'm sure the Pelicans expected him to play anyway.

In regard to the scheduling, we agree the Suns always seem to find themselves on the short end of the stick. Maybe they have complained to the league office. We both know what happens when an NBA team complains in public.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The injury report rules are something all teams are required to follow. I don't understand why the Suns didn't list Booker in another category such as doubtful or questionable instead of out. I'm sure the Pelicans expected him to play anyway.

In regard to the scheduling, we agree the Suns always seem to find themselves on the short end of the stick. Maybe they have complained to the league office. We both know what happens when an NBA team complains in public.

As far as the injury report stuff, I know how they listed him but Willie Green told his guys that Booker wasn't going to miss the series and would return. I believe he said he'd play in virtually every game so the Pelicans were prepared, or at least expecting him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as the injury report stuff, I know how they listed him but Willie Green told his guys that Booker wasn't going to miss the series and would return. I believe he said he'd play in virtually every game so the Pelicans were prepared, or at least expecting him.

This is why the Suns listing Booker OUT the day prior didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

He could have easily been listed him in another injury status category appropriate to make it a game time decision.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every little advantage possible in the playoffs. Keep the opposition guessing. Small price to pay for that advantage.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
unfortunately, i can't be optimistic about our shot at the championship.
we need Booker and Paul at near 100% to beat a team like the Warriors or Miami or Bucks

1. who knows how Paul's hands are? even if he's ok now, that could change any game, given his history
2. Booker had hamstring problems last playoffs and for several regular seasons. So, what we know about him is that even if he feels 100% soon, he should not PLAY at 100% again this postseason (and risk being out, altogether), right?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
unfortunately, i can't be optimistic about our shot at the championship.
we need Booker and Paul at near 100% to beat a team like the Warriors or Miami or Bucks

1. who knows how Paul's hands are? even if he's ok now, that could change any game, given his history
2. Booker had hamstring problems last playoffs and for several regular seasons. So, what we know about him is that even if he feels 100% soon, he should not PLAY at 100% again this postseason (and risk being out, altogether), right?

I agree. It looked like Paul was injured in a few games the same way last year in that he had dribbling and shooting problems.

And books hammy. Just had to pull now. Ugh

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Book looked to be playing at about 80% tonight and Paul only played 28 minutes. i'm ok with that at home against the Mavs.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Book looked to be playing at about 80% tonight and Paul only played 28 minutes. i'm ok with that at home against the Mavs.

I just wish he wouldn’t play the entire first , just not yet.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damn you guys worry to much, guys have to play and Book will play especially if he says I’m good! Relax no reason to be all concerned, let’s beat Dallas quickly and rest and hope Memphis beats GS up some! Suns / GS is what everyone is waiting for. We are better defensively than Memphis so should be a telling series between them.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t see anything physically to suggest Booker wasn’t moving around at 95+% he just didn’t shoot it well. He rebounded and hit a lot of open shooters plus Ayton.
Same. He started hot, but he didn’t have his shot most of the game. But he was getting to spots he wanted.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Booker was fine. If the game was closer and he was selfish he could have easily had a triple double.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Same. He started hot, but he didn’t have his shot most of the game. But he was getting to spots he wanted.
Yeah it was weird. Him and DA missed their last 11 shots in a row combined…..
Book shot 7/20 but he was 7/14 at one point. Just a bit off on the shot, but it didn’t seem like any of them were wayyyyyyy off.

We’ve gotta close games better obviously and we’ll be ready for Dallas’ best punch in game 2.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was weird. Him and DA missed their last 11 shots in a row combined…..
Book shot 7/20 but he was 7/14 at one point. Just a bit off on the shot, but it didn’t seem like any of them were wayyyyyyy off.

We’ve gotta close games better obviously and we’ll be ready for Dallas’ best punch in game 2.
It’s another reason I think the “only Chris Paul can stop DeAndre Ayton” stuff is unfounded. The reality is he simply doesn’t finish games offensively nearly as strong as he starts them. He missed multiple bunnies in the fourth and when that happens, I think CP3 stops trusting him down in crunch time.

And the results have spoken for themselves this year as we’re the best crunch time team in the league.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It’s another reason I think the “only Chris Paul can stop DeAndre Ayton” stuff is unfounded. The reality is he simply doesn’t finish games offensively nearly as strong as he starts them. He missed multiple bunnies in the fourth and when that happens, I think CP3 stops trusting him down in crunch time.

And the results have spoken for themselves this year as we’re the best crunch time team in the league.
That’s a fair assessment. The only game where that really wasn’t the case was @ Minnesota when DA had 35 and that was without CP3. I thought we didn’t get into as many sets as I would’ve liked in the 4th but to your point CP3 took the possessions over once DA went cold.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

cp3 did look off ayton even though he had his man sealed and deep position.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This happens time and time again. I wonder if there’s a breakdown somewhere of Ayton’s shooting percentage by quarter over the course of the season. He wears down as the game goes on and seems like in crunch time, he gets a little case of the yips on O. Which to be honest, for a young big man, still coming into his own, I don’t fault him for.

He’s done a great job getting this team out of the gate during the playoffs but I don’t blame Paul for taking matters into his own hands after seeing a couple of non successful attempts on O by his big fella in fourth quarters.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This happens time and time again. I wonder if there’s a breakdown somewhere of Ayton’s shooting percentage by quarter over the course of the season. He wears down as the game goes on and seems like in crunch time, he gets a little case of the yips on O. Which to be honest, for a young big man, still coming into his own, I don’t fault him for.

He’s done a great job getting this team out of the gate during the playoffs but I don’t blame Paul for taking matters into his own hands after seeing a couple of non successful attempts on O by his big fella in fourth quarters.

I think it's more of a matter Chris Paul doesn't trust Ayton to handle the ball late in games.

He should present a bigger target down low but that doesn't seem to be the case especially late in games. Also Ayton often has handle problems at the most inopportune times.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose