Per Suns: Devin Booker has a Mild hamstring strain. No time table on return at this time

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wow apparently Dbook tellin Pels bench ‘im back’. Lets go

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other words if Booker plays he feels close to 100%
Really? I took it to mean that he'll sit if he shows any lingering effects from the hamstring pull? I guess maybe I read into it what I wanted to read because I really do not want him to risk the rest of his career on this decision. One KJ was enough.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not sure I would bring him back for a game 7. Hammies are so easy to reinsure. I remember one time playing softball I was running bases and pulled my right hamstring. In trying to compensate to stop because of the pain, I pulled the left one too, just not as badly.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? I took it to mean that he'll sit if he shows any lingering effects from the hamstring pull? I guess maybe I read into it what I wanted to read because I really do not want him to risk the rest of his career on this decision. One KJ was enough.
From what I understand they later discovered many of KJ's issues with his hamstrings were caused by an undiagnosed hernia he had for years wasn't it? At any rate, I don't want Booker to have chronic hamstring problems either. This might be a scenario where Booker was fired up and thought..screw this I am returning. Where the medical staff and team are more methodical and had to talk him out of it (if he ends up sitting).

Still...there is no official word yet and James Jones last night on the radio indicated they will reevaluate today. So, that sounds to me as if he is close.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This hamstring is a different leg than the one he has injured before. It's going to be less of an issue.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This hamstring is a different leg than the one he has injured before. It's going to be less of an issue.
Why do you say that? Are you just saying that if it had been the same leg it would be a bigger issue? If so, I'm sure that's right but I don't think we can assume it's less of an issue than the last one was. It's my understanding that hamstring pulls are far from created equal.

The closer the injury is to the pelvis the more worrisome it is and the longer the rehab and the greater the risk of re-injury. I have no idea how high up his pull is but I think it's unpredictable from where we sit.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you say that? Are you just saying that if it had been the same leg it would be a bigger issue? If so, I'm sure that's right but I don't think we can assume it's less of an issue than the last one was. It's my understanding that hamstring pulls are far from created equal.

The closer the injury is to the pelvis the more worrisome it is and the longer the rehab and the greater the risk of re-injury. I have no idea how high up his pull is but I think it's unpredictable from where we sit.

Yes because more of a risk of it being reoccurring if he keeps injuring the same side.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It’s a tissue strain so he’s going to feel it for the rest of the playoffs. It all comes down the chances he irritates it further. I could see Book saying it feels better than it actually does given his nature.

Also, the Pels are getting to CP3 physically/mentally and our 2nd best ball-handler is a total wild card in Payne. Carrying another huge load in game 6 and CP could be exhausted by Saturday. Sounds obvious to say but Devin Booker’s skill set is exactly what the Suns are missing.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I am not sure I would bring him back for a game 7. Hammies are so easy to reinsure. I remember one time playing softball I was running bases and pulled my right hamstring. In trying to compensate to stop because of the pain, I pulled the left one too, just not as badly.
Game 7?! I want to speak it OUT of existence. Not into. How about Game 1? I think that's a good time for him to come back if he's ready.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker knows how he feels and doesn’t want to see this team get derailed by a bad match up in the first round. As said already they are wearing Paul down and even walking the ball up the court they could use Book and his shooting, shoot just use him as a spot up shooter would be huge just to have someone else that can shoot, he doesn’t have to go all out and attack the lane or anything, he could always be cautious and still be a huge lift. I think if he is gonna come back I would rather see it now than in a game 7 do or die pressure type situation to where if things go not so good we are screwed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker knows how he feels and doesn’t want to see this team get derailed by a bad match up in the first round. As said already they are wearing Paul down and even walking the ball up the court they could use Book and his shooting, shoot just use him as a spot up shooter would be huge just to have someone else that can shoot, he doesn’t have to go all out and attack the lane or anything, he could always be cautious and still be a huge lift. I think if he is gonna come back I would rather see it now than in a game 7 do or die pressure type situation to where if things go not so good we are screwed.
I don’t think what you’re advocating is really possible, especially for one of the biggest competitors in the game. You can’t play cautious in the playoffs. the Pelicans would attack him unmercifully if he’s at half speed out there and knowing Booker, the competitor on the court is going to overcome the brain in his head “trying not to go all out.”

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think what you’re advocating is really possible, especially for one of the biggest competitors in the game. You can’t play cautious in the playoffs. the Pelicans would attack him unmercifully if he’s at half speed out there and knowing Booker, the competitor on the court is going to overcome the brain in his head “trying not to go all out.”
Yeah I don't think it's possible. And it seems like any time someone is consciously trying to avoid an injury, the worst usually happens.

If he gets a twinge will being active, he needs to sit. If he's confident in his leg and pain free, I'm sure he'll be out there.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. They would constantly test Booker. Mainly on his defense. Booker has to be able to play unrestrained. Nobody likely is 100% in the playoffs but Booker has to be close to it without high risk of reinjury or you sit him. If he is close though? I also think you have to play in Game 7. The season is over if you lose Game 7. It can't be an easy thing because it's a fine line.

The Suns just need to wrap this up tonight and give him a couple more days of rest.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So what about defense? Have the suns go with 4 guys on D?

Cmon this is all gamesmanship.

He’s not playing today.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Amazingly you were wrong on all of this (Booker remaining in control and the Pels not hunting him). I was too.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amazingly you were wrong on all of this (Booker remaining in control and the Pels not hunting him). I was too.

Booker was topping out at 3rd gear most of the night, outside of one play that ended in a fade away I don't recall him dribble penetrating at all. But he was getting real low in his defensive crouches, he was moving in transition and in the later part of the 4th he seemed to be basically himself.

In the early parts of the game he certainly didn't seem to trust himself to attack at all, he may have only dribbled the ball a handful of times the entire first half.

It was very surprising to see him showing more movement and aggression on defense than offense. I thought he was going to come out gunning.

In the end it's a good thing he played, Shamet was a ghost tonight.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he was completely wrong. For basically most of the game Booker looked timid. He was blown buy multiple times on defense. Even my wife was saying take him out after the first. He doesn't look right. Take that big 3 away from Book and nobody likely brings him up much after the game except for the fact he didn't reinjure. I mean the reason Book was open on that play is because the Pelicans were not paying much attention to him like they normally would. In a normal game Book would have been doubled down the stretch to get the ball out of his hands. Didn't CP3 say post game say he told Booker to not be timid or was that someone else? I don't recall.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think he was completely wrong. For basically most of the game Booker looked timid. He was blown buy multiple times on defense. Even my wife was saying take him out after the first. He doesn't look right. Take that big 3 away from Book and nobody likely brings him up much after the game except for the fact he didn't reinjure. I mean the reason Book was open on that play is because the Pelicans were not paying much attention to him like they normally would. In a normal game Book would have been doubled down the stretch to get the ball out of his hands. Didn't CP3 say post game say he told Booker to not be timid or was that someone else? I don't recall.
I think you’re making my point, he played in super control mode (what you’re calling timid). He did so purposefully so as not to tweak the hammy. Cheese and I both thought he would get lost in the moment and play like he normally does with abandon which would’ve put the hammy more at risk.

And I really don’t think they made a concerted effort to test his hammy. If they were going to do so they’d have forced him to switch into McCollum who is maybe their only high volume scorer that would’ve tested the hammy. He’s the only lateral movement/speed guy they have. Didn’t seem, to me at least, that he was being forced to defend more than a normal game, and it wasn’t because he didn’t play much - he played 32 minutes.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you’re making my point, he played in super control mode (what you’re calling timid). He did so purposefully so as not to tweak the hammy. Cheese and I both thought he would get lost in the moment and play like he normally does with abandon which would’ve put the hammy more at risk.

And I really don’t think they made a concerted effort to test his hammy. If they were going to do so they’d have forced him to switch into McCollum who is maybe their only high volume scorer that would’ve tested the hammy. He’s the only lateral movement/speed guy they have. Didn’t seem, to me at least, that he was being forced to defend more than a normal game, and it wasn’t because he didn’t play much - he played 32 minutes.
It might be splitting hairs but even healthy players try to play under control too which to me is a little different than trying to not get hurt. I thought there were times he simply hurt the team by his lack of aggressiveness. He looked scared to test the hammy for a bit which again to me is a little different than playing under control. There were times where his hesitancy allowed guys to blow right by him. Some of his early shots clearly didn't have his legs underneath him which again to me means he was trying to not get hurt. I think as the game went on, there was a little more confidence in his ability to be out there. The Pelicans didn't seem to concerned with Booker out there. They for the most part tried to play him one on one.

Like I said....splitting hairs a bit I guess.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson