Palmer to Cardinals rumors heating up to a boil...

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No draft pick, no trade. If he's released and wants to sign here with a reasonable, incentive laden deal, great. If not, then just keep on moving along.

I like Palmer, I just wouldn't give up a lot for a couple of year stop gap. He is not Kurt Warner but he is better than ANYTHING we have seen since Kurt retired.

I am not buying the lie that BA truly believes Stanton/Hoyer are really starting caliber QBs. But, if that's who he goes to war with then I think it proves that this season is a wash and he's looking to the next off season to address getting a bona fide starting QB.

Just my opinion on the whole mess.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No draft pick, no trade. If he's released and wants to sign here with a reasonable, incentive laden deal, great. If not, then just keep on moving along.

I like Palmer, I just wouldn't give up a lot for a couple of year stop gap. He is not Kurt Warner but he is better than ANYTHING we have seen since Kurt retired.

I am not buying the lie that BA truly believes Stanton/Hoyer are really starting caliber QBs. But, if that's who he goes to war with then I think it proves that this season is a wash and he's looking to the next off season to address getting a bona fide starting QB.

Just my opinion on the whole mess.

im the same. He woud be a good 2-3 yr QB while we groom our future. You gotta win now too.

Could it happen? Sure.

I just think the team is at the point with new set up where they want to set themselves up long term and not get locked into an aging QB.

Raiders will be greedy with their demands. Palmer will get released and land elsewhere IMO. .

figured maybe you had a reason for thinking its a 0% chance.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Wouldn't this be sooooo Cardinalesque...give a 3rd rounder for Palmer after you just signed a guy to a 3 yr $9 mil/yr to someone that hasn't ever done jack squat thinking he's your guy & also tendering another nobody just to keep teams from picking him up? :D:biglaugh:

Yeah BA believes in those guys sooooo much that we've still got Skelton & Lindley on the roster! Lol

Stay tuned folks its gonna be a hoot :D

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
A conditional pick in next years draft would be good. Then at least the Cards pay for what they get.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'll go out on a pedestal just like Bucky and I did with Manning and just say:

THIS IS NOT HAPPENING!
are you talking about acquiring Palmer or drafting Geno Smith? :D

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wouldn't this be sooooo Cardinalesque...give a 3rd rounder for Palmer after you just signed a guy to a 3 yr $9 mil/yr to someone that hasn't ever done jack squat thinking he's your guy & also tendering another nobody just to keep teams from picking him up? :D:biglaugh:

Yeah BA believes in those guys sooooo much that we've still got Skelton & Lindley on the roster! Lol

Stay tuned folks its gonna be a hoot :D

I like Palmer but I don't think it will happen. They gave the contract to Stanton with the idea that he would start. They will kick the tires on Palmer but IMO our qbs going into the season will be Stanton, Hoyer and someone they draft (Glennon, Manuel, Bray, ?).

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nobody else would even want Palmer, wait for him to be released or just pass on that unsteady ass. He was ready to throw his kangol in the ring just a little while, I kind of think we can do better than PALMER. First person to bring up Kurt Warner's miracle ressurecting Az story will make me puke though.

I watched Encino Man earlier today, and the cheese is old and moldy yall.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I'd consider a 3rd round pick a huge mistake too.

Steve

I was trying to be conservative, but I agree.

Seems like I was not alone, I just thought I was being too cynical.

Palmer is old, and he has not shown too much to justify giving him franchise QB money.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Palmer is old, and he has not shown too much to justify giving him franchise QB money.

Well, you did say huge mistake at anything above a 3 so I figured you probably wouldn't have been happy with giving up a 3 or a 4 either. It's been a long time since Carson looked like an NFL QB, maybe he bounces back but that kind of gamble sounds more worthy of a 6th round pick to me.

Steve

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Other than from K-9, where does this third round pick come from? If Oakland consummates its deal with Seattle, Palmer is out and they either accept something or get nothing.

The things that stand in the way of a deal are the Cards FO, whom we haven't heard from, and Palmer who has a de facto veto on any deal.

(IMO) it's a sign and trade deal with some team, which obviously has Carson's approval - or he's released to shop his wares.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think you guys are selling Palmer a tad short here. Yes he is 33. wont be 34 until the end of the year. Yes he threw 14 picks last year, but he also threw for over 4,000 yards last year with almost no help. He threw for more yards then all of our QB's combined last year.

This is only two years after throwing for 3900 yards in Cinci with 26 td's. He is a career 86.2 passer.

Hell he may not have anything left, but he is head and shoulders above anybody on this roster currently.

33 for a QB is nothing.

Darren mcfadden has been non existent and their wr's are a laundry list of no names and scrubs.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

It sounds like it wouldn't be more then 6th or 7th so we are good there.

I'm more worried about the renegotiated money and years. Good news is unlike with Kolb this is more nice to have then have to do. That gives us leverage and I'd prefer he was just released and take our chances.

I could get pretty excited about Palmer - Stanton - M Scott/Glennon/Wilson though.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It sounds like it wouldn't be more then 6th or 7th so we are good there.

I'm more worried about the renegotiated money and years. Good news is unlike with Kolb this is more nice to have then have to do. That gives us leverage and I'd prefer he was just released and take our chances.

I could get pretty excited about Palmer - Stanton - M Scott/Glennon/Wilson though.
Interlaced in the various stories are references to "conditional future picks" and maybe a FEW future conditional picks."

How much is enough and how much is too much?

As for issues of age, compensation, draft-picks, Stanton etc., IMO, it all boils down to BA's and Moore's assessment of how well Palmer can play within the system compared to the other guys we've got. If they genuinely feel that Palmer can mean the difference between a so-so and winning season, I think they'll try to make a run at him. Otherwise, they won't. All else is window dressing.

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO no more than a 6th.. It would also have to be a sign and trade deal where it is mostly incentive laden contract that is easy to get out of. Otherwise HELL NO!
+1

No more than a 6th.

And really I think we should wait until he is released so we can gauge his interest first and then offer the incentive low base salary contract.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
+1

No more than a 6th.

And really I think we should wait until he is released so we can gauge his interest first and then offer the incentive low base salary contract.

Right!if they want to trade cause in the open market he will choose another team then i prefer to stick with stanton and having a top 3 pick next year

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Palmer but I don't think it will happen. They gave the contract to Stanton with the idea that he would start. They will kick the tires on Palmer but IMO our qbs going into the season will be Stanton, Hoyer and someone they draft (Glennon, Manuel, Bray, ?).

Stantons contract is a back up level contract.