Palmer to Cardinals rumors heating up to a boil...

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do we know for a fact that the Cards want to force a trade? Did the "report" come from Jurecki (who's referenced in a subsequent paragraph)? And, if not, what's the source?

The article was written as though it was hard news, but without a reliable source, and we could be being led down another primrose path along the same lines as the Peyton Manning and 95% Andy Reid rumors. With Jurecki, you never know - sometimes he has insider info, but sometimes he'll prematurely leap on an agent's leak or merely want to stir up buzz.

One thing seems logical - If I were Palmer's agent, I'd love to plant that story because it increases my leverage with the Raiders, the Cardinals and anyone else who has interest in Carson. UPDATE - Apparently, Jurecki is, in fact, the original source for the various accounts which are starting to sprout up like Spring daffodills.

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking what WOULD there be a reason to trade and restructure his contract versus signing him to a new one?

No signing bonus. Meaning we could cut him at any time and only hurt Oakland's cap. That might be worth a late round draft pick or two (if one is next year and conditional).

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Anything more than a 3rd round pick would be a huge mistake, IMO.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
id rather battle over the FA Palmer vs trading and giving up picks.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. No more picks for someone that is not the long term answer.

even if he can play 3-5 years, no picks.

Sign him to a normal FA deal. if he prefers elsewhere, he can go elsewhere. we need picks.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
This smells much like the 95% certainty of another player coming to the Cardinal's earlier this off season. If we are going to seriously consider him, let him get released first, then go after him on the same level with other competitors. If we can make this the best place for him to be, then do it, BUT if we cannot make that happen, let him go somewhere else without all the fanfare and hoopla of him using us to drive up his price to someone else. Give him an ultimatum, 'come here with the intention to sign, or don't come at all'.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
This smells much like the 95% certainty of another player coming to the Cardinal's earlier this off season. If we are going to seriously consider him, let him get released first, then go after him on the same level with other competitors. If we can make this the best place for him to be, then do it, BUT if we cannot make that happen, let him go somewhere else without all the fanfare and hoopla of him using us to drive up his price to someone else. Give him an ultimatum, 'come here with the intention to sign, or don't come at all'.

I concur 100%.

What I question is Carson Palmer's mindset at this point. If he truly is fine with going to a contender as a backup, then, imo, we shouldn't give up anything to get him.

If someone else wants to trade for Palmer, so be it.

The best case scenario, imo, is that he gets released and then decides wholeheartedly after weighing all options that he wants to QB the Cardinals more than any other team.

If he gets released and his first choice is SF, let him go there---which again speaks to his questionable mindset of being fine with being a backup.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I concur 100%.

What I question is Carson Palmer's mindset at this point. If he truly is fine with going to a contender as a backup, then, imo, we shouldn't give up anything to get him.

If someone else wants to trade for Palmer, so be it.

The best case scenario, imo, is that he gets released and then decides wholeheartedly after weighing all options that he wants to QB the Cardinals more than any other team.

If he gets released and his first choice is SF, let him go there---which again speaks to his questionable mindset of being fine with being a backup.

If it's a trade it will be a "sign and trade" deal and he'll have obviously committed himself to coming to AZ. (IMO)

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
All this tells me what BA & Keim REALLY believe in Stanton & Hoyer...which IMO has always smelled like the local dumpster!!!

I'm fine with Palmer, but I'm not coughing up anything more than a 5th rounder & the Cards are fools if its anything more.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll go out on a pedestal just like Bucky and I did with Manning and just say:

THIS IS NOT HAPPENING!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not?

Makes more sense for Palmer than it did for Manning.

Could it happen? Sure.

I just think the team is at the point with new set up where they want to set themselves up long term and not get locked into an aging QB.

Raiders will be greedy with their demands. Palmer will get released and land elsewhere IMO. .

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Could it happen? Sure.

I just think the team is at the point with new set up where they want to set themselves up long term and not get locked into an aging QB.

Raiders will be greedy with their demands. Palmer will get released and land elsewhere IMO. .

Sounds like we're thinking alike again. ;)

If the Cards trade for him if cough up a 2, 3 or even a 4 for him, they're idiots & really haven't ever learned a lesson. :mad:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like we're thinking alike again. ;)

If the Cards trade for him if cough up a 2, 3 or even a 4 for him, they're idiots & really haven't ever learned a lesson. :mad:

IMO no more than a 6th.. It would also have to be a sign and trade deal where it is mostly incentive laden contract that is easy to get out of. Otherwise HELL NO!

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll go out on a pedestal just like Bucky and I did with Manning and just say:

THIS IS NOT HAPPENING!

Unlike the last time, I hope you're right about Palmer. I don't see how he helps the long-term development of this team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard