Overturning a Call with Replay

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The rule is very simple. The replay must show “incontrovertible visual evidence.” To avoid confusion, The Merriam Webster Dictionary defines incontrovertible as “not open to question : indisputable.” So I’m watching the SF game and there’s an apparent fumble near the end of the first half. The call on the field is a fumble. Announcer Charles Davis watches the replay and says fumble. He was a four year starter at Tennessee. He was a college coach. He’s been an NFL analyst for 6 years. So how can someone else view that replay and say a forearm touch is “indisputable.” Davis mentioned that body part and said it didn’t touch. Clearly it’s not obvious.

Replay officials now substitute their judgment for that of the game officials. They don’t look for mistakes. Instead they just state an opinion. They supplant the field official’s call with their own impression. That’s not how the rule was written. The process should be changed. The official who makes the calls should view all the replays. The appeal official can simultaneously view them. If the official who made the call changes his opinion, the call is reversed. The appeal official can clarify the rules, but the game official makes calls. If in this case the forearm appears to the appeal official to touch, he can only tell the game official “a forearm touch means he’s down.” He can’t say he sees a touch. That’s not his job. He can’t overrule the call.

This process is out of control and the league needs to step in and support game officials. By the way this process is handled even more poorly in college.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Harry , announcers said it was a good reversal as it showed clearly that defender touched the receiver. I agree and saw that in one of the final replays. This is not controversial to me today

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry , announcers said it was a good reversal as it showed clearly that defender touched the receiver. I agree and saw that in one of the final replays. This is not controversial to me today
I think it is controversial because I don’t think his forearm touched. It was the back of his wrist.

But even more important, I don’t think you can say incontrovertibly that it wasn’t the back of his wrist and the call should’ve stood on the field

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think it is controversial because I don’t think his forearm touched. It was the back of his wrist.

But even more important, I don’t think you can say incontrovertibly that it wasn’t the back of his wrist and the call should’ve stood on the field
You just gotta ask yourself... had he not fumbled, but instead righted himself and ran ten more yards,...would the officials have called him down by contact back at this point??
No.
A couple times every week we see more blatant arm contact than this that is allowed to continue advancing the ball...such as when a RB army crawls/body surfs over defenders to get into the endzone.

Also...there was not a clear enough viewpoint to definitively state the ball was not already coming loose before the wrist hit the ground.
Certainly not definitive enough to reverse a score called on the field

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You just gotta ask yourself... had he not fumbled, but instead righted himself and ran ten more yards,...would the officials have called him down by contact back at this point??
No.
A couple times every week we see more blatant arm contact than this that is allowed to continue advancing the ball...such as when a RB army crawls/body surfs over defenders to get into the endzone.

Also...there was not a clear enough viewpoint to definitively state the ball was not already coming loose before the wrist hit the ground.
Certainly not definitive enough to reverse a score called on the field
If the Cards had challenged it then maybe. Turnovers are reviewed. This was down by contact. His elbow and forearm were down before the ball came out.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Cards had challenged it then maybe. Turnovers are reviewed. This was down by contact. His elbow and forearm were down before the ball came out.
You can say that all you want but it wasn’t conclusive 100% on replay and call should have stood! It would have had it been the other way around 100% if the Niners had scored the TD call on the field would have stood!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
During the replay the direct shot of the ball in the arm was too dark and obstructed to make any type of definitive call. Whichever call made during life play should have stood.
It is the specific reason for the verbiage in the rule.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have the luxury of seeing a play 8 times from 8 different angles.
I still think if a play is going to be challenged it should be done so without seeing the replay.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really wish it would've been upheld. But when they showed that last replay I thought it was the right call. I never doubted that his forearm was down. I thought he was never contacted until that last replay but that was clearly not the case. Doesn't matter who is right now. I am actually more angry that the Niners never got even one personal foul.

But I am all in on the conspiracy theory that if you flip the jersies the call gets upheld.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sure seemed to be to everyone on the broadcast after the video with his forearm down before the ball came out rolled.

But okay.
You mean the announcing team cheering for the 49ers?

The announcing team that called a clear hit to Kyler’s head AND nuts a clean hit?

Okay

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

The issue of touch was only half the answer. For it not to be a fumble the ballcarrier had to be touched and his forearm had to touch the ground. If both didn’t happen it was a live ball.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it was a borderline call. I don't think it was clear on the replay that the forearm touched before the ball was knocked loose, it may have done, but it's not clear as the part that touches is around the wrist area.

I don't think it was clear enough to overturn the on field call.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Unlike college, the NFL is usually right on their replays and isn't afraid to overturn calls. No chance college overturns that call. I do think the NFL got it right though. I didn't until they showed the last replay with him being touched.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
OK I'm confused. He was touched, but if his forearm wasn't on the ground before the ball comes out, he's considered down anyway? Or is it the combo of touched (happened) AND forearm down (unclear on replay) that makes him down?.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
there was a replay angle where it looked like the back of his wrist came down and started the ball out fractions of seconds before the forearm came out.

but lets face reality: while the written standard might say one thing, the NFL now lets things that might be turnovers be treated as turnovers until replay cleans things up.

that and the Kittle play were both super close and just didnt work out for the Cards

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
OK I'm confused. He was touched, but if his forearm wasn't on the ground before the ball comes out, he's considered down anyway? Or is it the combo of touched (happened) AND forearm down (unclear on replay) that makes him down?.
there is also the added caveat in this case that the contact caused him to go down. which I disagree with. his arm was grabbed, he pulled loose, then tried to spin by rolling off his own guys back...his guys movement caused him to lose balance and fall over causing him to use the arm with the ball to catch himself.

but regardless of any of that there was not conclusive video proof that the ball was not coming loose before the arm hit the ground. The video was too obstructed by body parts and shadows to be conclusive. The rule clearly states the proof must be "conclusive" in order to overturn the call on the field... however the nfl refs have started reverting to "Pretty sure"

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it’s not pretty obvious. Sorry that you can’t see that.
Literally most Cardinals fans and everyone who wasn’t a Cardinals fan on the broadcast team thought it was.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard