OT the Trey Lance narrative has started for 49ers

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Story "leaking out" that Lance was going to start this season but his thumb injury in camp set him back so they went with Jimmy G instead. Then Lance was going to be the guy but he hurt his knee against us so they went with Jimmy G.

This is of course not true, if it were he would have been playing as soon as the knee healed but he didn't. But it's in response to Joe Montana and others saying they're not sure he's ready to start and the team might want to keep Jimmy.

Interesting to see how far Shanahan can get him this year. He's does give them a run threat Jimmy didn't and he can throw the deep ball but the timing routes etc will be a big challenge for him.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have any faith in Lance at all so I hope that he gets QB1.

I am the same way I think he is a great athlete with a strong arm but he just hasn't played anywhere near enough to be a sure thing. I am surprised he played as well as he did last year but the system was set up to help him. Against us he threw a pick very early and for most of the rest of the game they ran him or had highly schemed plays where if the guy wasn't open you throw it away.

You can't win a SB like that so it will be interesting to see how far he has come since then.

The stuff leaking out now is interesting because it's all good, he was going to start if he wasn't hurt, you should see the throws he makes in practice etc.

Note I'm not knocking them for it I think it's good that the organization is trying to help the kid.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am the same way I think he is a great athlete with a strong arm but he just hasn't played anywhere near enough to be a sure thing. I am surprised he played as well as he did last year but the system was set up to help him. Against us he threw a pick very early and for most of the rest of the game they ran him or had highly schemed plays where if the guy wasn't open you throw it away.

You can't win a SB like that so it will be interesting to see how far he has come since then.

The stuff leaking out now is interesting because it's all good, he was going to start if he wasn't hurt, you should see the throws he makes in practice etc.

Note I'm not knocking them for it I think it's good that the organization is trying to help the kid.
Idk.

I think either his peak is going to be Josh Allen year 2 or what Josh Allen currently is. Will be interesting how it all plays out. If he was at another organization, I'd lean more towards year 2 Josh Allen at best.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think the Niners were dead set on him not playing at all and they stuck to their plan as much as they could. He started one season in the MVC and that was nearly 3 years ago so their only option was patience.

In hindsight they save the picks last year and trade for Rodgers/Watson now but they felt couldn’t wait…

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The big red flag for him is he played just over 1 season of college ball. That’s the #1 indicator of risk in a QB prospect.

There’s no time for development in an NFL season, so it’s up to the player to refine their mechanics independently and keep honing their craft.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Niners were dead set on him not playing at all and they stuck to their plan as much as they could. He started one season in the MVC and that was nearly 3 years ago so their only option was patience.

In hindsight they save the picks last year and trade for Rodgers/Watson now but they felt couldn’t wait…

I think they wanted to play him but saw in the preseason he wasn't ready.

FWIW the narrative this week is that trading Jimmy G is NOT a lock anymore, which tells you two things, they might not be sold on Lance, and they think they can increase the market value for Jimmy by saying we might not want to trade him

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they wanted to play him but saw in the preseason he wasn't ready.

FWIW the narrative this week is that trading Jimmy G is NOT a lock anymore, which tells you two things, they might not be sold on Lance, and they think they can increase the market value for Jimmy by saying we might not want to trade him
SF almost made it to the Super Bowl this year with Jimmy G unless they’re 100% sure that Lance is better it seems foolish to trade him

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope we see Jimmy G. or Trey Lance and not Tom Brady...

Tom Brady to the 49ers?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Can't happen this year. He'd have to be traded.
He’s have to be traded even if it was next year. The contract tolls for retired players.

If Brady wants to come back but only for San Fran, his rights can be traded pretty easily.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s have to be traded even if it was next year. The contract tolls for retired players.

If Brady wants to come back but only for San Fran, his rights can be traded pretty easily.
That would be crazy: Wilson (unless he leaves), Brady, Stafford, and, uh, Murray.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sort of a weird thing with Lance going on now. All the talk from the 49ers is he looks great, the thumb injury from last year is now being called a finger injury that impacted his throws and his throws are now noticeably "tighter and more accurate." One report said his deep ball is now a bit more accurate. Another report says he still has mechanical issues for sure but he's not missing high as much as he did last year at this time and everyone's raving about his progress.

Then you see this: https://www.ninersnation.com/2022/6/14/23167710/49ers-lance-second-year-qb-rankings

note that's not the 5th best QB overall, that's the 5th best QB of all the 2nd year QB's, his draft class!

I will say my gut says he'll be better than last year by far, Shanahan will figure out a way to maximize his strengths and hide his weaknesses, but as the season goes on it will be evident how inexperienced he is as when they need him to step up and win a game with his arm, he might instead airmail some throws to the defense.

That said the stuff in the link about the fans reaction to Mac Jones is why they drafted Lance is nonsense, I think Shanahan is great with QB's and he decided I'm going to take the guy with the most physical talent and coach him.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Sort of a weird thing with Lance going on now. All the talk from the 49ers is he looks great, the thumb injury from last year is now being called a finger injury that impacted his throws and his throws are now noticeably "tighter and more accurate." One report said his deep ball is now a bit more accurate. Another report says he still has mechanical issues for sure but he's not missing high as much as he did last year at this time and everyone's raving about his progress.

Then you see this: https://www.ninersnation.com/2022/6/14/23167710/49ers-lance-second-year-qb-rankings

note that's not the 5th best QB overall, that's the 5th best QB of all the 2nd year QB's, his draft class!

I will say my gut says he'll be better than last year by far, Shanahan will figure out a way to maximize his strengths and hide his weaknesses, but as the season goes on it will be evident how inexperienced he is as when they need him to step up and win a game with his arm, he might instead airmail some throws to the defense.

That said the stuff in the link about the fans reaction to Mac Jones is why they drafted Lance is nonsense, I think Shanahan is great with QB's and he decided I'm going to take the guy with the most physical talent and coach him.
Yeah, I saw this morning where they're saying it was in index finger...hahah and he couldn't grip the ball properly all last year. I think it's just a crap excuse, to keep the media pressure off Lance.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw this morning where they're saying it was in index finger...hahah and he couldn't grip the ball properly all last year. I think it's just a crap excuse, to keep the media pressure off Lance.
I mean sure, but remember Palmer with his index finger injury?

Any one of us could throw infinitely better than him. Not even being facetious, he was god awful.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The big red flag for him is he played just over 1 season of college ball. That’s the #1 indicator of risk in a QB prospect.

There’s no time for development in an NFL season, so it’s up to the player to refine their mechanics independently and keep honing their craft.
Which is probably the most impressive thing about Kyler Murray to me is that he overcome this. Regardless of how good of a QB he becomes, his ability to get where he is at with only one year of college starting is impressive.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is probably the most impressive thing about Kyler Murray to me is that he overcome this. Regardless of how good of a QB he becomes, his ability to get where he is at with only one year of college starting is impressive.
Well at least it was big boy college too unlike Lance

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
And we say to Keim about Murray....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Davis Mills was the 2nd best QB of last year's class. Any ranking that has him last is bogus. Lance was terrible last year.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You never know but last year they said it was his thumb, suddenly it's his index finger?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I mean sure, but remember Palmer with his index finger injury?

Any one of us could throw infinitely better than him. Not even being facetious, he was god awful.
The doubt lays in the fact it was his thumb last year and now they say index finger. If it was his index finger all along, you just roll with it from the start. There was nothing to be gained by lying.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching him in the preseason, and I just don't see it. I think he looks like he's going to be a step down from Garrapolo.

Thoughts @Russ Smith?

Completely forgot about the game. We came home and for the 2nd night in a row had ants all over our kitchen. By the time we were done dealing with that I completely forgot there was a game. I'm watching it now but he's long gone in street clothes now

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose