OT the Trey Lance narrative has started for 49ers

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I watched that last game closely. They are weak at offensive tackle but the inside showed a great amount of energy. They may be vulnerable inside to stunts and blitzes. Lance looked fine on the short stuff and threw okay on the run if not pressed. On deep throws he showed a strong arm, but not good accuracy. Teams keeping a safety over the top will pick him. Expect a ton of short throws. They looked to have a sound running game. In both aspects look for tons of misdirection.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I agree to an extent with Shane here...but I do believe that Garrapolo is the modern Trent Dilfer. He can manage a really good team, but he has limitations.

Lance looked really bad last night. He looked like 5th round rookie QB from Valdosta State bad.

Every year recently, people have overrated the Niners. They do have a great system, but have limited receiving options, a below average CB group, and poor QB options.

Lance does have tools, but he still looks below average on mechanics, pocket presence, feel for the game, and understanding of concepts. Athleticism doesn't really overtake those deficiencies.
Over rated??

Remind me, im old and forgetful....
But, how many games away from the super bowl were they last year?
5?
6?

Or was it just one?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just shows that the team is stupid imo… Garoppolo has already proven he can take a team to the Super Bowl and come within minutes away from winning one… If not for Mahomes magic…. To go with a completely raw and unproven extremely young quarterback…. I know Jimmy isn’t everybody’s cup of tea but come on.
Yup, he is a system QB in the right system for him. Doesn't make sense. And when he goes to the wrong system and struggles, people will think the 9ers are brilliant.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
just shows that the team is stupid imo… Garoppolo has already proven he can take a team to the Super Bowl and come within minutes away from winning one… If not for Mahomes magic…. To go with a completely raw and unproven extremely young quarterback…. I know Jimmy isn’t everybody’s cup of tea but come on.
The 49ers took Garopollo to the SB but your point remains. They shouldn’t have planned to move on without a smarter plan in place.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I watched that last game closely. They are weak at offensive tackle but the inside showed a great amount of energy. They may be vulnerable inside to stunts and blitzes. Lance looked fine on the short stuff and threw okay on the run if not pressed. On deep throws he showed a strong arm, but not good accuracy. Teams keeping a safety over the top will pick him. Expect a ton of short throws. They looked to have a sound running game. In both aspects look for tons of misdirection.
This is exactly why a guy like Zaven Collins has value for at least those two games against them. While the rest of the defense is quick to respond and overshoot the direction of the play, Collins will be trailing a few seconds behind being able to grasp the ruse as the ball carrier runs right into him, as Mr. 'No Instincts' is trailing from the correct direction to get to the misdirection lol

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And right on cut they restructure Jimmy G's contract and they're keeping him at least for the start of the season.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And right on cut they restructure Jimmy G's contract and they're keeping him at least for the start of the season.
I’m actually surprised he agreed to that

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's not official yet but it's all over the local media quoting "sources" so nobody knows the number yet for Jimmy.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It makes ZERO sense (to me) for Jimmy G. to go for it. He would have become a FA, tomorrow, and free to sign with any team for a lot more than $6.5M. I must be missing something.
Exactly… Prob told him literally “were sorry and we expect Lance to mess this up” lol

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It makes ZERO sense (to me) for Jimmy G. to go for it. He would have become a FA, tomorrow, and free to sign with any team for a lot more than $6.5M. I must be missing something.
A lot more? There's no market for him right now on a $24.2 million guaranteed salary (probably). It's going to take at least three weeks for him to be onboarded with another team.

The potential landing spots are maybe Seattle maybe Pittsburgh maybe Houston? Of those only Pitt cares about winning.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot more? There's no market for him right now on a $24.2 million guaranteed salary (probably). It's going to take at least three weeks for him to be onboarded with another team.

The potential landing spots are maybe Seattle maybe Pittsburgh maybe Houston? Of those only Pitt cares about winning.
The Browns… On the radio today they said they Apparently run the same system and could easily afford a lot more then 6.5 million a year. They have a crap ton of cap space. Could do a one year and hold it down till the woman abuser gets back.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Browns… On the radio today they said they Apparently run the same system and could easily afford a lot more then 6.5 million a year. They have a crap ton of cap space. Could do a one year and hold it down till the woman abuser gets back.

I assume part of it is he probably doesn't want to go to a team that he knows will replace him as soon as Watson is off suspension.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the local reports said don't read too much into it, doesn't mean they think Trey Lance is garbage it means that they weren't able to get an offer that made trading Jimmy worth it, and since he didn't have some great opportunity sitting their either, it made sense for both sides to rework his deal.

If they lose a game early in the year where Lance doesn't play well though you just know it's going to happen. I also read a story comparing it to Young replacing Montana and I had to laugh, you had one future HOF level QB replacing another, and Young was VERY experienced when he replaced Joe. This is a totally different situation Lance has nowhere near that much experience.

HammerCards

Veteran
Reaction score
Makes absolutely zero sense to keep Jimmy as the backup if they were confident in Lance. This is an indictment on the young QB.

Talk about easy way to divide locker room/fan base, especially if Lance struggles early.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith I just don't see how the Niners can be as elated as they have acted about Lance and keep Garrapolo around. There is smoke...

1000% there was talk of them releasing him and now they restructure? Makes zero sense. They are covering their asses because they don’t like what they see either. JMO

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I’m not, underneath all the critics and looks, Jimmy is a football player, and it’s his best chance to shine, with no expectations, in a system he knows, that he has had all but super bowl winning success already. And his replacement is weak -

unitis could not have came back for morrel if he wasn’t in the team, morrel could not have kept the dolphins perfect season intact if he didn’t back up Griese. Money has changed things, but it’s your damn team and your legacy, I think Jimmy G gets that.

Is better then Kolb hehe