OT the Trey Lance narrative has started for 49ers

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith I just don't see how the Niners can be as elated as they have acted about Lance and keep Garrapolo around. There is smoke...

Yeah I don't know I get the idea they know they have a SB caliber defense and a very strong run game so they didn't want to just dump Jimmy and 6 games into the season be regretting it if Lance doesn't play well enough

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
very curious to see what happens if the Niners start 3-4 behind some sketchy QB play

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
very curious to see what happens if the Niners start 3-4 behind some sketchy QB play
To go back to Jimmy from Trey mid-season would kind of be putting the dagger in him would it not?

Barring injury, I don't see how they aren't pit committed to Lance at this point. But I guess if he's a total bust might as well try to save the season.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anybody there thinks he's a bust but I suspect they don't think he's 100% ready and it's entirely possible they might be glad they have Jimmy around.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Payton foresees a scenario in which Garoppolo unseats Trey Lance and reclaims his role as the 49ers' starting quarterback this season.

"I think there are seven or eight teams that we’re gonna see, not because of injury, we’re gonna see more than one quarterback play," Payton said on the "The Herd" earlier this week. "I think, and I believe, don’t kid yourself, that we’re gonna see Garoppolo back in that lineup.”

:grabs:

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Payton foresees a scenario in which Garoppolo unseats Trey Lance and reclaims his role as the 49ers' starting quarterback this season.

"I think there are seven or eight teams that we’re gonna see, not because of injury, we’re gonna see more than one quarterback play," Payton said on the "The Herd" earlier this week. "I think, and I believe, don’t kid yourself, that we’re gonna see Garoppolo back in that lineup.”

:grabs:

The issue now is they lost Mitchell for probably half the season so if Wilson doesn't step up(on my fantasy team) then they're going to have to throw the ball more or use Deebo more in the backfield which he purportedly doesn't want to do nearly as much this year.

So yeah I can see a scenario where if he doesn't play well, he gets benched

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Martz is NOT a fan of Lance. Also trashes Justin Fields so maybe he's just in a bad mood.

“I want their eyeballs,” Martz said of the 49ers. “I’ve never seen anything about this kid that was encouraging at all. He really has to plant himself to make a good throw. He’s not a quick decision guy. [Everything] about him being a mobile guy and making plays with his feet, he looked like a fullback stumbling around trying to run the ball to me. He’s not Lamar. I don’t know what he is. He’s not particularly good guy running with the football.

“Based on what I saw today he missed two guys completely by themselves. I know it was in the rain but quarterbacks do that, you make those throws. I know this, he can only go up, he can only get better, because you can’t get any worse that what he did [Sunday]. I’ve never liked him, I still don’t like him, I’d like to know what he does so well. Because he’s not a great passer, doesn’t have great skills, takes him a long time to set himself and throw the football, misses easy throws and he’s not a particularly good runner. Other than that he’s a hell of a player.”

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mike Martz is NOT a fan of Lance. Also trashes Justin Fields so maybe he's just in a bad mood.

“I want their eyeballs,” Martz said of the 49ers. “I’ve never seen anything about this kid that was encouraging at all. He really has to plant himself to make a good throw. He’s not a quick decision guy. [Everything] about him being a mobile guy and making plays with his feet, he looked like a fullback stumbling around trying to run the ball to me. He’s not Lamar. I don’t know what he is. He’s not particularly good guy running with the football.

“Based on what I saw today he missed two guys completely by themselves. I know it was in the rain but quarterbacks do that, you make those throws. I know this, he can only go up, he can only get better, because you can’t get any worse that what he did [Sunday]. I’ve never liked him, I still don’t like him, I’d like to know what he does so well. Because he’s not a great passer, doesn’t have great skills, takes him a long time to set himself and throw the football, misses easy throws and he’s not a particularly good runner. Other than that he’s a hell of a player.”
The game has passed Mike Martz by.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe. But it's hard for me to disagree with what he is saying. I think they both suck.

I don't understand why teams keep falling for Ohio St. QBs.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I do agree with him about the has to plant to throw thing with Lance it does take him quite a bit of time to do that. that was the issue in camp last year they were trying to get him to get rid of the ball quickly and he was airmailing high throws all the time.

Not a huge fields fan myself but I agree in that weather hard to be too hard on either of them.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The three might turn out to be good, but so far the choices of Mac, Fields, Lance. Gross,:barf: What a crappy hand the 49ers were dealt.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealt? They traded up and gave up 3 first round picks. This was their choice.

Exactly they went up and got him.

He may pan out you never know but so far that draft appears to be a reach

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Lance goes down with a gruesome ankle injury. Carted off the field. In comes Jimmy G and he leads them to a 20-0 lead going in to the third.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lance goes down with a gruesome ankle injury. Carted off the field. In comes Jimmy G and he leads them to a 20-0 lead going in to the third.

If Lance is out for an extended period of time that injury will have saved them from themselves, they were doing everyone else a favor by playing their 2nd best QB.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson