OT the Trey Lance narrative has started for 49ers

Zalixar

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw this morning where they're saying it was in index finger...hahah and he couldn't grip the ball properly all last year. I think it's just a crap excuse, to keep the media pressure off Lance.
I mean sure, but remember Palmer with his index finger injury?

Any one of us could throw infinitely better than him. Not even being facetious, he was god awful.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The big red flag for him is he played just over 1 season of college ball. That’s the #1 indicator of risk in a QB prospect.

There’s no time for development in an NFL season, so it’s up to the player to refine their mechanics independently and keep honing their craft.
Which is probably the most impressive thing about Kyler Murray to me is that he overcome this. Regardless of how good of a QB he becomes, his ability to get where he is at with only one year of college starting is impressive.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is probably the most impressive thing about Kyler Murray to me is that he overcome this. Regardless of how good of a QB he becomes, his ability to get where he is at with only one year of college starting is impressive.
Well at least it was big boy college too unlike Lance

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
And we say to Keim about Murray....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sort of a weird thing with Lance going on now. All the talk from the 49ers is he looks great, the thumb injury from last year is now being called a finger injury that impacted his throws and his throws are now noticeably "tighter and more accurate." One report said his deep ball is now a bit more accurate. Another report says he still has mechanical issues for sure but he's not missing high as much as he did last year at this time and everyone's raving about his progress.

Then you see this: https://www.ninersnation.com/2022/6/14/23167710/49ers-lance-second-year-qb-rankings

note that's not the 5th best QB overall, that's the 5th best QB of all the 2nd year QB's, his draft class!

I will say my gut says he'll be better than last year by far, Shanahan will figure out a way to maximize his strengths and hide his weaknesses, but as the season goes on it will be evident how inexperienced he is as when they need him to step up and win a game with his arm, he might instead airmail some throws to the defense.

That said the stuff in the link about the fans reaction to Mac Jones is why they drafted Lance is nonsense, I think Shanahan is great with QB's and he decided I'm going to take the guy with the most physical talent and coach him.

Davis Mills was the 2nd best QB of last year's class. Any ranking that has him last is bogus. Lance was terrible last year.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw this morning where they're saying it was in index finger...hahah and he couldn't grip the ball properly all last year. I think it's just a crap excuse, to keep the media pressure off Lance.

You never know but last year they said it was his thumb, suddenly it's his index finger?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I mean sure, but remember Palmer with his index finger injury?

Any one of us could throw infinitely better than him. Not even being facetious, he was god awful.
The doubt lays in the fact it was his thumb last year and now they say index finger. If it was his index finger all along, you just roll with it from the start. There was nothing to be gained by lying.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseyslayer