OT the Trey Lance narrative has started for 49ers

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Completely forgot about the game. We came home and for the 2nd night in a row had ants all over our kitchen. By the time we were done dealing with that I completely forgot there was a game. I'm watching it now but he's long gone in street clothes now
Not a bit of his play was impressive.

I'm kind of shocked that he is being hyped so much especially considering the practice reports we are seeing.

I think we'll see more of a rushing threat who will make so many mistakes as a passer that it's going to nullify his advantage.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a bit of his play was impressive.

I'm kind of shocked that he is being hyped so much especially considering the practice reports we are seeing.

I think we'll see more of a rushing threat who will make so many mistakes as a passer that it's going to nullify his advantage.

Matt Maiocco who covers the team is saying there's no panic yet but that it appears clear to him there's some concern he didn't look better.

There's a fairly subtle push to keep Jimmy G and try to rework the contract. I've said it before this is a SB caliber team they have an elite defense, loaded at RB, the OL can runblock, the schemes are there. The one big question mark is QB(and apparently interior OL from your comments). So if Lance isn't ready when the season starts having Jimmy to fall back on would be huge, the problem is their concern is if they do that, Lance is going to be looking over his shoulder.

I saw a bit on local tv this morning they said he missed a couple of wide open throws and there were a couple of reads where he threw into coverage when someone was wide open because he misread the defense.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt Maiocco who covers the team is saying there's no panic yet but that it appears clear to him there's some concern he didn't look better.

There's a fairly subtle push to keep Jimmy G and try to rework the contract. I've said it before this is a SB caliber team they have an elite defense, loaded at RB, the OL can runblock, the schemes are there. The one big question mark is QB(and apparently interior OL from your comments). So if Lance isn't ready when the season starts having Jimmy to fall back on would be huge, the problem is their concern is if they do that, Lance is going to be looking over his shoulder.

I saw a bit on local tv this morning they said he missed a couple of wide open throws and there were a couple of reads where he threw into coverage when someone was wide open because he misread the defense.
just shows that the team is stupid imo… Garoppolo has already proven he can take a team to the Super Bowl and come within minutes away from winning one… If not for Mahomes magic…. To go with a completely raw and unproven extremely young quarterback…. I know Jimmy isn’t everybody’s cup of tea but come on.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

just shows that the team is stupid imo… Garoppolo has already proven he can take a team to the Super Bowl and come within minutes away from winning one… If not for Mahomes magic…. To go with a completely raw and unproven extremely young quarterback…. I know Jimmy isn’t everybody’s cup of tea but come on.
I agree to an extent with Shane here...but I do believe that Garrapolo is the modern Trent Dilfer. He can manage a really good team, but he has limitations.

Lance looked really bad last night. He looked like 5th round rookie QB from Valdosta State bad.

Every year recently, people have overrated the Niners. They do have a great system, but have limited receiving options, a below average CB group, and poor QB options.

Lance does have tools, but he still looks below average on mechanics, pocket presence, feel for the game, and understanding of concepts. Athleticism doesn't really overtake those deficiencies.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I agree to an extent with Shane here...but I do believe that Garrapolo is the modern Trent Dilfer. He can manage a really good team, but he has limitations.

Lance looked really bad last night. He looked like 5th round rookie QB from Valdosta State bad.

Every year recently, people have overrated the Niners. They do have a great system, but have limited receiving options, a below average CB group, and poor QB options.

Lance does have tools, but he still looks below average on mechanics, pocket presence, feel for the game, and understanding of concepts. Athleticism doesn't really overtake those deficiencies.
If he's like Dilfer, he can win a Superbowl. Even the Ravens moving on from Dilfer, after winning a Superbowl, was a disaster.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
49ers are clearly following the Bills/Josh Allen model.

Tyrod took the Bills to the playoffs for the 1st time in nearly 20 years? However, the next year they took their lumps with a very raw Josh Allen.

Allen didnt look good his 2nd year either. However, they were solid enough around him to allow him to get some experience.

Lance can be below average to average and they can still win 9 games. 49ers are playing the long game that by year 3 or 4 he'll be really good.

The difference with Allen though is that his release wasnt slow. Time will tell if Lance speeds up that release.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If he's like Dilfer, he can win a Superbowl. Even the Ravens moving on from Dilfer, after winning a Superbowl, was a disaster.
I don't know. Time has changed the narrative about that Ravens team. They faced one of the weakest slates of QBs any "great" defense has ever faced. You have to remember the immortal Kerry Collins was considered one of the best QBs in the NFL that year.

Garrapolo is much better than Lance right now. That's the problem and the one no one is selling right now. Lance is a physically talented, yet probably most raw QB in the NFL right now. It's the ultimate in arrogance for the Niners to think their vaunted system can overcome his weaknesses.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
49ers are clearly following the Bills/Josh Allen model.

Tyrod took the Bills to the playoffs for the 1st time in nearly 20 years? However, the next year they took their lumps with a very raw Josh Allen.

Allen didnt look good his 2nd year either. However, they were solid enough around him to allow him to get some experience.

Lance can be below average to average and they can still win 9 games. 49ers are playing the long game that by year 3 or 4 he'll be really good.

The difference with Allen though is that his release wasnt slow. Time will tell if Lance speeds up that release.
Josh Allen was A LOT more developed than Lance in year one. He played against higher competition in college AND threw more passes.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Trent Dilfer comparison is over the top and quite silly honestly… Jimmy Garoppolo is a much much much better quarterback than Trent Dilfer ever was… Jimmy Garoppolo has an over two to one touchdown to INT rate in a career QB rating right at about 100…. Go look at differs touchdown to INT ratio, his overall QB rating, and his overall completion percentage….

Yeah Dilfer was able to manage a Super Bowl with that ravens defense but as far as QB play goes they were in different hemispheres….

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Josh Allen was A LOT more developed than Lance in year one. He played against higher competition in college AND threw more passes
Idk about a lot. I'd say he was about a year ahead of Lance. And for his lack of experience he was still in a more pro style offense.

Trey Lance is just 22 years old.

The team around him is good enough to wait until he's 24 for the light to fully come on (at least what they are gambling on)

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Completely forgot about the game. We came home and for the 2nd night in a row had ants all over our kitchen. By the time we were done dealing with that I completely forgot there was a game. I'm watching it now but he's long gone in street clothes now
Don't let those ants get in yo pants

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Idk about a lot. I'd say he was about a year ahead of Lance. And for his lack of experience he was still in a more pro style offense.
ND State was not even close to a pro
Trey Lance is just 22 years old.

The team around him is good enough to wait until he's 24 for the light to fully come on (at least what they are gambling on)
I don't know how much longer the Niners will wait for that to happen.

Josh Allen had over DOUBLE Lance's college attempts.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They were really good last year when healthy losing by a FG to the Rams in a game they had the lead late but couldn't hold on or extend it. Their DL is so good the CB's don't seem to matter all that much and they were all injured at times last year.

Theyr'e good enough to win a SB with even good QB play they don't need exceptional.

FWIW the local claim is Aiyuk has had a great camp, outplayed Deebo most of camp.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't let those ants get in yo pants

Dealing with them in 2 buildings at work today too apparently the weather in Nor Cal is making ants come inside

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They were really good last year when healthy losing by a FG to the Rams in a game they had the lead late but couldn't hold on or extend it. Their DL is so good the CB's don't seem to matter all that much and they were all injured at times last year.
But they aren't fully the same team as last year. OL is likely quite a bit weaker. DL depth not as good as the past, though they have shown the ability to have unheralded guys become pretty good.

Theyr'e good enough to win a SB with even good QB play they don't need exceptional.

FWIW the local claim is Aiyuk has had a great camp, outplayed Deebo most of camp.
I just see a worse team and a guy at QB who might struggle to make even ordinary plays.

I largely forgot Aiyuk...but even then, they aren't incredibly strong after Deebo, Aiyuk, and Kittles. The Niners have lost at least one of those guys every year for stretches of the season.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ND State was not even close to a pro

I don't know how much longer the Niners will wait for that to happen.

Josh Allen had over DOUBLE Lance's college attempts.
Yes.. so a year ahead like I said.

ND State had more pro concepts than what Allen had in college.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Dealing with them in 2 buildings at work today too apparently the weather in Nor Cal is making ants come inside
Here in the south they come in the spring when it rains. Terro ant killer works well unless you have an army of them. Make sure there is no food source because they will find it

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Trey Lance is historically inexperienced. Pretty much no QB with his level of experience has ever been any good.
And he might never be. If he was a Chicago Bear I think he'd be a sure bust.

He's got a great situation in SF to actually be really good in a couple years because of coaching and the talent around him.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The Trent Dilfer comparison is over the top and quite silly honestly… Jimmy Garoppolo is a much much much better quarterback than Trent Dilfer ever was… Jimmy Garoppolo has an over two to one touchdown to INT rate in a career QB rating right at about 100…. Go look at differs touchdown to INT ratio, his overall QB rating, and his overall completion percentage….

Yeah Dilfer was able to manage a Super Bowl with that ravens defense but as far as QB play goes they were in different hemispheres….
You are helping prove my point, though. I was commenting on someone calling Jimmy G a game manager like Dilfer. To me, that means Jimmy G has the ability to help a team win a Super Bowl, like Dilfer.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

It’s overblown but it’s hard to compare numbers across eras, also.

Garappolo is a slightly below average starting quarterback.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s overblown but it’s hard to compare numbers across eras, also.

Garappolo is a slightly below average starting quarterback.
He’s a far far far better QB then Dilfer ever was.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in the south they come in the spring when it rains. Terro ant killer works well unless you have an army of them. Make sure there is no food source because they will find it

I'm using terro the problem is it has a tendency to attract more ants at first, before they die. Which is fine until it's in a cube or lab where they want the ants gone instantly and the sight of more gets them mad.

My pest control guy says if you kill ants always use a clorox wipe or cleaner to wipe in the area of where you killed it. Dead ants release pheromones and the other ants find those trails and come to see what killed the dead one. So squishing ants can lead to more of them if you don't remove the trail by wiping

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm using terro the problem is it has a tendency to attract more ants at first, before they die. Which is fine until it's in a cube or lab where they want the ants gone instantly and the sight of more gets them mad.

My pest control guy says if you kill ants always use a clorox wipe or cleaner to wipe in the area of where you killed it. Dead ants release pheromones and the other ants find those trails and come to see what killed the dead one. So squishing ants can lead to more of them if you don't remove the trail by wiping
It's always a good idea to wipe