OT - Peyton fans the flames

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just saw his Papa Johns ad. I love this guy. I hope he comes here

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Kolb's date in March 17th. That would give Graves 9 days to somehow get a deal done with Manning... It that really possible for Graves? :D

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Well it looks like they're going to let him go after all or somebody is going to force them to (Luck camp). There are plenty of steps left to go (getting medically cleared for one) but things are about to get real interesting.

Anyone else noticed that he specifically mentioned the weather? Perhaps a hint of where he wants to go ... just sayin

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...gly-turning-the-page-where-will-peyton-end-up
We've reported in the past that other general managers and executives identified Arizona and Seattle as places that Manning would be interested in. Both teams could obviously use an upgrade at the quarterback position, and both have rising young defenses, along with run games that made strides this season. The Cardinals have a game-breaking receiver in Larry Fitzgerald, and Sidney Rice can be a weapon in Seattle if he can just stay healthy. Both teams are in a division that has traditionally been weak (though the rise of the Niners changes that a bit). And just like Peyton's current home, neither city has an overwhelming media presence. The Seahawks have been a heavy spending team. The Cards? Well, not so much. Getting out of Kevin Kolb's contract wouldn't be a problem, but would the Bidwills be willing to step up for No. 18? It's worth noting that Manning has gotten to know Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt at Pro Bowls over the years and they share a mutual admiration.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm really curious to see what Manning's selection criteria is going to be. I would have to think a shot at a Super Bowl would be pretty high on the list and I'm sure that money is going to be a big part of that as well. The money part is my biggest worry about him joining the Cards. Everything else is really speculation. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up on a team that wasn't even in the conversation right now.

Sometimes it aint even about the cash...dude has tons of it already.....but he IS however a man, and a competitive man at that.....letting him go in favor of a rook is telling him he just aint got it no more,...he's done, through/....finished.......and I get the feeling Peyton just don't think so.

Then....family bragging rights could come into play as well....Peyton has always been better than his lil bro Eli.....but they both have a Super bowl ring right??
So what if Eli gets two?

As much as he will never come out and say it I would bet money that is a competition he would do anything to assure his little brother does not win.

Solid defense....strong young running backs,...and a WR who would be voted in to Canton tomorrow if he retired..............not a bad spot for an experienced QB with a point to make.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's worth noting that Manning has gotten to know Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt at Pro Bowls over the years and they share a mutual admiration.

:thud:

:bhiich:

:jedi:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my biggest concern here isn't whether or not Peyton would sign here, it's whether or not Bidwill would actually pony up the cash. If Graves tried to low-ball Peyton AT ALL, he'd laugh at us and go to another team that's willing to take the risk.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dunno, even the Bidwills should know the money generated by Peyton coming in would be unprecedented. I mean the season sold out before it starts unprecedented.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Solid defense....strong young running backs,...and a WR who would be voted in to Canton tomorrow if he retired..............not a bad spot for an experienced QB with a point to make.
defense sure seems solid. We'll see next year when Horton has a full off-season, and the opposing teams have enough tapes of us to watch to see how to try and exploit us. I believe Beanie has been hurt every season in the NFL, he's still good injured, but not as goodas he could be. Williams never even played a real NFL game yet, but I have high hopes for the kid. He's got a great attitude and plenty of talent. Fitz, no question, one of the best to ever do it
my biggest concern here isn't whether or not Peyton would sign here, it's whether or not Bidwill would actually pony up the cash. If Graves tried to low-ball Peyton AT ALL, he'd laugh at us and go to another team that's willing to take the risk.
yeah, I think little Bidwill will do it given the chance. Especially with a salary floor lol

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Let's also not forget Peyton loves to throw to TE's, and by some miracle we have them in spades. If they can stay healthy.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Let's also not forget Peyton loves to throw to TE's, and by some miracle we have them in spades. If they can stay healthy.
yeah, Heap missed about as many games as Kolb. Housler looks promising, and King showed an ability to catch and extend plays on top of his good blocking that he was brought in for

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Peyton could make Housler a star. He will probably make a huge jump next year regardless with a full offseason regimen under Lott.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Agreed. Graves tried to low-ball Warner in 2009 and nearly lost him to the 49ers.

Currently, he is taking his sweet ass time re-signing Calais Campbell, the biggest no-brainer in the history of the world. What's to say that if we get into contract negotiations with Peyton that Graves doesn't do something to mess it up?

The one person who is notorious for spoiling a sure thing is Mr. Graves.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Graves tried to low-ball Warner in 2009 and nearly lost him to the 49ers.

Total BS. Kurt was never going anywhere. He just tried to use San Fran as leverage to get a big 2-year deal even though he knew he'd never play both years. It was just a major cash grab on his way out.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Total BS. Kurt was never going anywhere. He just tried to use San Fran as leverage to get a big 2-year deal even though he knew he'd never play both years. It was just a major cash grab on his way out.

YUP!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Mike Bidwill gets star struck, he gets the old man to open up the check book. (See Edgerrin James and Fitzgerald) Money is not going to be an issue for us if we get the chance to make an offer.

I can't believe I even typed that. 24 hours ago, I thought it was completely pointless to talk about Manning playing here. Now, there is a point even if it is a long shot.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

With your personal beliefs BIM, I'm a bit surprised to see such a Machiavellian take on Warner. IMO, he told us the truth that after the concussion in his last season that was when he seriously considered whether to finish the contract or not.

If it was a cash grab, he could've gone to camp and retired after game 1 and pocketed millions of more dollars.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a thought...

Let's say Peyton comes here, does well, wins in the regular season, wins playoff games, wins a Super Bowl or better yet 2 Super Bowls...

When he goes into the HOF - does he wear an Indianapolis Colts' hat or an Arizona Cardinals' hat?

:grabs: :shrug:

:didijusttypethat?:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Here's a thought...

Let's say Peyton comes here, does well, wins in the regular season, wins playoff games, wins a Super Bowl or better yet 2 Super Bowls...

When he goes into the HOF - does he wear an Indianapolis Colts' hat or an Arizona Cardinals' hat?

Cardinals of course...more rings, and the colts screwed him...or, that may be the feeling....

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With your personal beliefs BIM, I'm a bit surprised to see such a Machiavellian take on Warner. IMO, he told us the truth that after the concussion in his last season that was when he seriously considered whether to finish the contract or not.

If it was a cash grab, he could've gone to camp and retired after game 1 and pocketed millions of more dollars.

I'm just convinced that he knew he had one good year left in him and he wanted to give it one more go before retiring and being a husband and father (and NFL analyst). I fully believe that from day one he had zero intention of playing out the contract.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Do you have proof of this?

It was all over the radio stations. Bickley, MJ, Gambo, and Ash were talking about it every single day up until the day Warner re-signed. I vividly recall Gambo going on a seven minute tirade about how stupid the organization was for almost sabotaging a sure thing. Frankly, I'm shocked you're even questioning me about this.

In addition, IIRC, the Warner camp asked for an extension mid-season in 2008 that was less than the $29 mil 2 year contract he actually got and was told to wait until the end of the season.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just convinced that he knew he had one good year left in him and he wanted to give it one more go before retiring and being a husband and father (and NFL analyst). I fully believe that from day one he had zero intention of playing out the contract.

Yeah, maybe. But any extra cash he got by visiting with San Francisco he basically forfieted by retiring before the second year.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a thought...

Doesn't really matter with the NFL since they don't put hats on the statues. I guess the significance would be in who he had introduce him.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was all over the radio stations. Bickley, MJ, Gambo, and Ash were talking about it every single day up until the day Warner re-signed. I vividly recall Gambo going on a seven minute tirade about how stupid the organization was for almost sabotaging a sure thing. Frankly, I'm shocked you're even questioning me about this.

In addition, IIRC, the Warner camp asked for an extension mid-season in 2008 that was less than the $29 mil 2 year contract he actually got and was told to wait until the end of the season.

I pretty much read and watch everything Cardinals I can get my hands on. BIM lives local and listens to all those that you are listing. Neither of us seem to recall this? Weird? Do you have a link to a story that says the cardinals were low balling cus unless Im mistaken i didn't know radio jockeys and sports writers are in the negotiate room. Im also pretty darn certain the Cards dont negotiate via the media.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson