OT - Peyton fans the flames

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the guaranteed part?

It didn't happen though. It was a $23 million deal. $15 million signing bonus and $4 million base each year. It was reported that this meant he was guaranteed $19 million, but in fact the signing bonus was split over the two years so he only got his 2010 base and one half of the bonus, or $11.5 million. In order for him to have been paid the other $7.5 of the bonus he would have needed to play the next season.

Same numbers but a different split than Kurt originally asked for when he returned from his San Fran visit. He had wanted it: $13 million / $10 million (with $6 guaranteed in year 2).

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It didn't happen though. It was a $23 million deal. $15 million signing bonus and $4 million base each year. It was reported that this meant he was guaranteed $19 million, but in fact the signing bonus was split over the two years so he only got his 2010 base and one half of the bonus, or $11.5 million. In order for him to have been paid the other $7.5 of the bonus he would have needed to play the next season.

Same numbers but a different split than Kurt originally asked for when he returned from his San Fran visit. He had wanted it: $13 million / $10 million (with $6 guaranteed in year 2).
ok. I don't remember the details of it. I just remember that he got a better deal after visiting SF

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Their offer went from 2 years, $20 million to 2 years, $23 million. What "doubled" ?? :shrug:

Also - financial numbers were never disclosed on any possible San Fran deal. The only people reporting that there even was the possibility of a deal were Warner and his agent (again with no solid numbers...just talk).

The only low-balling talk came from a former Cards' scout - Dave Razzano - and Warner himself shot that kind of talk down.

I made it pretty clear I was talking about guaranteed money, and that figure went from 10 million to (I believe) 19, plus a raise in the overall number.

I mean really... the Cards were low balling him thinking Warner wouldnt leave and that no other team would pay him top dollar, he had to go bluff with the Niners to get our front office to give him a respectable deal.

How in the world were they not low balling him? At the kindest you could claim they were being "cheap and stubborn", but to me that translates as low ball.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The Cardinals NEVER negotiate in the media .
I got into this with 40 year awhile back and that statement is false. How did the Cards and Dansby supposedly have a deal then KD back out? How do we know that they are negotiating with Campbell right now? I specifically remember Graves prior to the Super Bowl saying he wanted players back that were willing to have loyalty and give a hometown discount. No, I don't have a link and don't need one because I watched it live. The Cards may not throw contract numbers out in the media but they get their points across. How did we find out that Graves offered similar deals to KD and Rolle prior to them signing with their repsective teams? I'm not saying it's a fact the Cards lowballed Warner(personally, I think they did) but they want guys to sign at the Cards perceived market value.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Warner's agent, Mark Bartelstein, told ESPN.com's John Clayton the 49ers are interested in the quarterback, but he declined to say whether Warner receive an offer. Bartelstein said he did not hear from the Cardinals, whose last offer was reportedly two years and $20 million. Warner wants $14 million to $16 million a year.

According to the source, the Cardinals' offer is $10 million in 2009 with an option bonus for $10 million in 2010. There are not any guarantees in the contract, so it is effectively a one-year deal at $10 million if the Cardinals don't want to bring him back in 2010.

Is that a low ball offer? Open for debate I guess. What did Kolb get in guaranteed money?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Persistent neurological symptoms need months to heal. This mean we’re talking months before he comes back and not weeks. And I would not be surprised if Manning missed the entire 2011 season. A couple of weeks ago, Jim Irsay said that once Manning’s nerves regenerate properly, he’ll be ready to play. Frankly, I’m not sure what Mr. Irsay was talking about. Nerves do not regenerate. Function may return gradually once pressure on the spine and nerve roots is relieved but it’s not guaranteed. It was not as if Manning had a cut nerve that needed to regrow. No, not at all. Manning had and still does have pressure on his disc and nerve roots causing neurological symptoms.
By all accounts, Manning is a tireless worker, but this is not the kind of injury that can rehabbed away. It truly is a wait and see kind of injury. Like always, I’m crossing my fingers for Manning to make a full and speedy recovery.

hmm

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter with the NFL since they don't put hats on the statues. I guess the significance would be in who he had introduce him.

And the odds are that either Archie, Eli, or Tony Dungy will be that person.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

Think he misspoke. From what I heard, this neck injury affected the strength in his triceps. In fact, he was cleared for contact at the end of the season, but he can't throw due to the weakness in his triceps. He is rehabbing to get that strength back. So it sounds like the pressure on the nerve is relieved for now, but the "regeneration" is in a muscle, not a nerve.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bartelstein said he did not hear from the Cardinals, whose last offer was reportedly two years and $20 million. Warner wants $14 million to $16 million a year.
Is that a low ball offer? Open for debate I guess.
$10 million was more than comparable to the average annual salaries of the other top QBs in the league. Warner wanted the franchise tag salary of $14-16 million, which is skewed by some QBs having disproportionately large bonuses due to them. As I recall, a 2 yr/$30 million contract would have made Warner the highest paid QB in the league. I can't blame the Cards for balking at that price. I also seem to remember the Cards being hesitant to guarantee the second year, which turned out to be a legitimate concern. This organization has obviously been cheap many times in the past, but I don't see the Warner situation as an example.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
$10 million was more than comparable to the average annual salaries of the other top QBs in the league. Warner wanted the franchise tag salary of $14-16 million, which is skewed by some QBs having disproportionately large bonuses due to them. As I recall, a 2 yr/$30 million contract would have made Warner the highest paid QB in the league. I can't blame the Cards for balking at that price. I also seem to remember the Cards being hesitant to guarantee the second year, which turned out to be a legitimate concern. This organization has obviously been cheap many times in the past, but I don't see the Warner situation as an example.

They ended up giving Warner $19 million guaranteed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3951664

Yet just 2 years later the Cards give Kolb, what, $21 million in guaranteed money? NFL salaries are almost impossible to judge now especially when you consider the rookie cap freeing up more dollars for veteran players.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Arguing over Warner's contract, when we all know he has nothing but love for this team after retiring, is a ridiculous waste of breath/bandwidth.

If Peyton is available, and wants to be here, and is cleared to play, it won't be money that keeps him away. As I said before, Peyton + Fitz = unprecedented revenue for this organization. Even Graves in full ****** mode couldn't find an excuse not to make it happen. Period.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Irsay is just pissed because those comments tanked any trade value Manning had....Manning likely did it on purpose because he see's the writing on the wall and would rather control his own future. Being traded is one thing,...being a highly pursued free agent is a whole different thing.

Do you think we could get Peyton for Patrick Peterson and next years 2nd round pick?

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
I can't wait to see the pandemonium that will ensue if he is released.

CAN'T WAIT

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard