OT - Peyton fans the flames

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Total BS. Kurt was never going anywhere. He just tried to use San Fran as leverage to get a big 2-year deal even though he knew he'd never play both years. It was just a major cash grab on his way out.

Whether or not he leveraged the FO or it was a "major cash grab," the bottom line is the front office should have never let it go that far. The 6-8 weeks or so that this was an issue put a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths about the organization after a stellar season and a trip to the Superbowl.

I do agree that Warner never had any intentions on playing the 2nd year of his deal except to have peace of mind, just in case.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was all over the radio stations. Bickley, MJ, Gambo, and Ash were talking about it every single day up until the day Warner re-signed. I vividly recall Gambo going on a seven minute tirade about how stupid the organization was for almost sabotaging a sure thing. Frankly, I'm shocked you're even questioning me about this.

In addition, IIRC, the Warner camp asked for an extension mid-season in 2008 that was less than the $29 mil 2 year contract he actually got and was told to wait until the end of the season.

You're right. The Cards were crucified locally by most as lowballing him until he signed on the dotted line. Personally, I just saw it as why bid more when there was no competition on the table for his services? It was dumb of his agent, and Kurt, to repeatedly say they didn't want to play anywhere else numerous times before free agency began.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was all over the radio stations. Bickley, MJ, Gambo, and Ash were talking about it every single day up until the day Warner re-signed. I vividly recall Gambo going on a seven minute tirade about how stupid the organization was for almost sabotaging a sure thing. Frankly, I'm shocked you're even questioning me about this.

In addition, IIRC, the Warner camp asked for an extension mid-season in 2008 that was less than the $29 mil 2 year contract he actually got and was told to wait until the end of the season.

Just a ploy. No deal in place with them. No way he was going to uproot his family or go and play away from them.

And the deal was 2 years $23 million with $19 guaranteed. The signing bonus of $15 million was protected though so he only got weekly installment of $7.5 million during the season on top of his base pay of $4 million. Since he retired - he only got $11.5 million for one season ... which was close to the $14-16 per year he felt he was due. In his own words he said he wanted to be paid that much per year at least once in his career...

TJ

Reaction score
I pretty much read and watch everything Cardinals I can get my hands on. BIM lives local and listens to all those that you are listing. Neither of us seem to recall this? Weird? Do you have a link to a story that says the cardinals were low balling cus unless Im mistaken i didn't know radio jockeys and sports writers are in the negotiate room. Im also pretty darn certain the Cards dont negotiate via the media.

On Monday, Warner flew by private plane to San Francisco to visit the 49ers, who outlined the parameters of a contract that would have been for more money and more guarantees than the Cardinals were willing to offer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3951664

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 6-8 weeks or so that this was an issue put a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths about the organization after a stellar season and a trip to the Superbowl.

It also soured a lot of people on Kurt as a person that he would push the issue so much.

As an organization it was a big risk to fork out as much as he was asking for at first ($14-16 million per year lol) for an old QB that could be retired with a few solid hits.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once again where is your proof? Just because the Niners were willing to pay more doesnt mean the cards were low balling or not offering a fair deal. BIG DIFFERENCE FYI!

Agree. More than fair at the time.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. More than fair at the time.

Your and Shane's opinion on the Cards offer was certainly legitimate. And, I agree with it. But, like TJ, I remember that opinion as being the minority. The old "Cards are cheap" talk cropped back up like the shingles.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your and Shane's opinion on the Cards offer was certainly legitimate. And, I agree with it. But, like TJ, I remember that opinion as being the minority. The old "Cards are cheap" talk cropped back up like the shingles.

Oh that I have no doubt and is certainly to be expected given the teams history. But TJ stating as fact that the team low balled him IMO is ludicrous because unless you were in the room nobody really knows.

TJ

Reaction score
Once again where is your proof? Just because the Niners were willing to pay more doesnt mean the cards were low balling or not offering a fair deal. BIG DIFFERENCE FYI!

What do you want me to do; get Rod Graves on the phone for you? You're being a bit ridiculous and unreasonable.

I'm sorry, but this was corroborated by multiple local and media outlets and the organization was getting lambasted for not getting a deal done, largely because it was indeed considered unfair and felt the Warner camp was being "low balled." (in those words).

Moreover, this front office's track record with its questionable methodologies about getting contracts done should not surprise you.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh that I have no doubt and is certainly to be expected given the teams history. But TJ stating as fact that the team low balled him IMO is ludicrous because unless you were in the room nobody really knows.

And, who knows how long it will take to change that? The article on this thread throws out the "Cards are cheap" angle completely ignoring the monster deal that Fitz got. A deal quite a few analysts actually said was way too big for a WR.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you want me to do; get Rod Graves on the phone for you? You're being a bit ridiculous and unreasonable.

I'm sorry, but this was corroborated by multiple local and media outlets and the organization was getting lambasted for not getting a deal done, largely because it was indeed considered unfair and felt the Warner camp was being "low balled." (in those words).

Moreover, this front office's track record with its questionable methodologies about getting contracts done should not surprise you.

All of the media lambasting you are referring to is because of the teams long history of being cheap. As aj has stated above. Nothing more or less. Doesnt make it a fact.

The Cardinals NEVER negotiate in the media and any agent is going to release info to make him and his client look better in public. hardly reliable. You stating that the team low balled him and stating it as a fact is quite simply asinine.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The press is not a good measuring stick, especially clowns like Gambo. I am sure his logic was - "Give him whatever he wants !!! He just took you to the Super Bowl !!!" Not realistic at all.

I remember some of the talk at the time because I listen to sports talk every day here in the Valley.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The press is not a good measuring stick, especially clowns like Gambo. I am sure his logic was - "Give him whatever he wants !!! He just took you to the Super Bowl !!!" Not realistic at all.

Yup or jurecki

TJ

Reaction score

I remember some of the talk at the time because I listen to sports talk every day here in the Valley.

It wasn't a blank check statement but I understand your point. I think the "give him whatever he wants" came from some of the angry call-in fans. IMO it should have never taken as long as it did and the threat (empty or otherwise) to sign with another team in order to get Warner a new contract.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't a blank check statement but I understand your point. I think the "give him whatever he wants" came from some of the angry call-in fans. IMO it should have never taken as long as it did and the threat (empty or otherwise) to sign with another team in order to get Warner a new contract.

In other words you believe the team should have just given him whatever he wants. :shrug:

TJ

Reaction score
In other words you believe the team should have just given him whatever he wants. :shrug:

Where did I say or even infer that? You are completely misinterpreting everything I've been saying to you.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A lot of the calls were more like "Let him go and we'll plant him into the ground two times next season." There was a lot of fan disbelief at the numbers Kurt wanted. Plenty of people said he might have been worth it if he was younger, but not at his age and with our line...the risk was too great to break the bank.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did I say or even infer that? You are completely misinterpreting everything I've been saying to you.

When your saying that it shouldn't take as long as it did and it shouldn't have gotten to him making a trip to SF then IMO you are saying give the guy what he wants. Thats what it would take to get him to NOT make the trip right?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pretty much read and watch everything Cardinals I can get my hands on. BIM lives local and listens to all those that you are listing. Neither of us seem to recall this? Weird? Do you have a link to a story that says the cardinals were low balling cus unless Im mistaken i didn't know radio jockeys and sports writers are in the negotiate room. Im also pretty darn certain the Cards dont negotiate via the media.

holy crap... Shane this is truly a case of selective memory. EVERYONE here remembers this.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
holy crap... Shane this is truly a case of selective memory. EVERYONE here remembers this.

Apparently unless you are Rod Graves himself you can't convince a Shane anything has ever happened ever behind closed doors on Warner and Hardy:)

The burden of proof isn't usually this important to most law enforcement I have come across. :) :)

Just kidding bud. I get your bigger point.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just because the Cards offered less than Kurt wanted (and he admitted it was his personal goal to be paid like a top 5 QB at least once in his career) and less than an alleged deal offered by the Niners - does not mean the Cards were low-balling him. It's all in the language.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are we really having a debate about the Cards low balling Warner?

He hops on a jet to San Fran and the Cards double their contract guarantees in response, but still less than San Fran was allegedly offering, Warner gives the Cards the discount... and we supposedly were not low balling him? Their doubled offer was still less than San Fran's!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their doubled offer was still less than San Fran's!

Their offer went from 2 years, $20 million to 2 years, $23 million. What "doubled" ?? :shrug:

Also - financial numbers were never disclosed on any possible San Fran deal. The only people reporting that there even was the possibility of a deal were Warner and his agent (again with no solid numbers...just talk).

The only low-balling talk came from a former Cards' scout - Dave Razzano - and Warner himself shot that kind of talk down.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Their offer went from 2 years, $20 million to 2 years, $23 million. What "doubled" ?? :shrug:

Also - financial numbers were never disclosed on any possible San Fran deal. The only people reporting that there even was the possibility of a deal were Warner and his agent (again with no solid numbers...just talk).

The only low-balling talk came from a former Cards' scout - Dave Razzano - and Warner himself shot that kind of talk down.
the guaranteed part?