OT: OT rules change approved

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
of the 4 teams to vote no, none of them were named Cardinals?!? Did the bowtie fall asleep during the discussion?

• Both teams must have the opportunity to possess the ball once during the extra period, unless the team that receives the opening kickoff scores a touchdown on its initial possession, in which case it is the winner.

• If the team that possesses the ball first scores a field goal on its initial possession, the other team shall have the opportunity to possess the ball. If [that team] scores a touchdown on its possession, it is the winner. If the score is tied after [both teams have a] possession, the team next scoring by any method shall be the winner.

• If the score is tied at the end of a 15-minute overtime period, or if [the overtime period's] initial possession has not ended, another overtime period will begin, and play will continue until a score is made, regardless of how many 15-minute periods are necessary.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Stupid...

So lets say the first team does not score and the second team kicks a FG then the second team wins? Or does the first team get to try for a TD to win?

IF not that is not fair; why is the onus only on the first team?

These are grown professionals, if you cants stop a team in Sudden Death too freaking bad.

I am not liking the direction Godell is taking the league with these namby-pamby rules; considering more international games; and expanding the regular season.

If it aint broke, don't fix it...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid...

So lets say the first team does not score and the second team kicks a FG then the second team wins? Or does the first team get to try for a TD to win?

These are grown professionals, if you cants stop a team in Sudden Death too freaking bad.

I am not liking the direction Godell is taking the league with these namby-pamby rules; considering more international games; and expanding the regular season.

Yes.

If you don't score when you get the ball first and the other team does, that essentially is no different than the sudden death that you wanted to keep anyway. :shrug:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Stupid...

I agree

A duel to the death would be better. Bring in a player off each teams practice squad, match 10 paces, then fire. Problem solved :D

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.

If you don't score when you get the ball first and the other team does, that essentially is no different than the sudden death that you wanted to keep anyway. :shrug:

Its definitely different. Only in that scenario it seems the same. Yet it isnt. I do like that there are no ties anymore. Donovan Mcnabb should be happy.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its definitely different. Only in that scenario it seems the same. Yet it isnt. I do like that there are no ties anymore. Donovan Mcnabb should be happy.

That's the scenario he bought up? :shrug:
I honestly don't see this as that much of a rule change. I like it. I just wish that they would adopt it to the regular season as well.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
isn't it playoffs only?

Well it was that way anyway n the playoffs. You could never have one in the playoffs. So I assumed it meant regular season. Wheres the change then in that part?

Buckybird

Reaction score
Well it was that way anyway n the playoffs. You could never have one in the playoffs. So I assumed it meant regular season. Wheres the change then in that part?

you can still have a tie in the regular season that McNabb experienced

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
interesting that they would try this out for the most important games

also, it would make the decision to receive a lot more difficult pending on the makeup of your team

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
of the 4 teams to vote no, none of them were named Cardinals?!? Did the bowtie fall asleep during the discussion?

• Both teams must have the opportunity to possess the ball once during the extra period, unless the team that receives the opening kickoff scores a touchdown on its initial possession, in which case it is the winner.

• If the team that possesses the ball first scores a field goal on its initial possession, the other team shall have the opportunity to possess the ball. If [that team] scores a touchdown on its possession, it is the winner. If the score is tied after [both teams have a] possession, the team next scoring by any method shall be the winner.

• If the score is tied at the end of a 15-minute overtime period, or if [the overtime period's] initial possession has not ended, another overtime period will begin, and play will continue until a score is made, regardless of how many 15-minute periods are necessary.

I like this change. The stats are clear that the team who wins the coin flip has the advantage.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
THIS IS RE-TARDED!!!!

So now the team that loses the coin flip has a very distinct advantage.

The team that wins the coin flip has to:

1. Score by driving against the opposing defense.

2. Then stop the opposition from scoring.

The team that loses the coin flip can:

1. Have a defensive TD to win the game.

2. Can stop the offense deep in its own zone, and essentiall be in field goal position, TO WIN THE GAME, off a punt.

Stupid. Didn't solve a thing, and just switched the 50-50 odds of a coin flip to the losing side.

To steal a PR quote - We are punishing a team for winning the coin flip.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I enjoy college football more so I'm fine with the overtime rules shifting closer to that... I never liked the sudden death overtime.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
Shame on you bidwill for giving in to these hipsters...

What if there is a safety?

Why would a team punt?---more going for it on 4th down instead of a 35 yd fg. puts defense at even greater disadvantage.

Last sec field goals are fun to watch and filled with drama! anything can happen.

if its not good enough for the reg season it shouldnt be good enough for playoffs.

This rule sucks!!!!

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
THIS IS RE-TARDED!!!!

So now the team that loses the coin flip has a very distinct advantage.

The team that wins the coin flip has to:

1. Score by driving against the opposing defense.

2. Then stop the opposition from scoring.

The team that loses the coin flip can:

1. Have a defensive TD to win the game.

2. Can stop the offense deep in its own zone, and essentiall be in field goal position, TO WIN THE GAME, off a punt.

Stupid. Didn't solve a thing, and just switched the 50-50 odds of a coin flip to the losing side.

To steal a PR quote - We are punishing a team for winning the coin flip.

If the advantage switches, then the team winning the coin toss can elect to kick.

OP
OP
Billy Flynt

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
I believe any defensive score counts.

I heard one talking head suggest you keep the drive alive from the end of the 4th Q. Even weirder.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you NFL Football for diminishing the worth of regular season games. I hope you intend to do the same with the price of attendance, since it is not as important to have the same rules apply to regular season that apply to playoffs. What a farce and a fraud.

Basically you have said that it is important to have BOTH teams get a chance to operate the offense in playoffs overtime, but not in the regular season. Could this possibly be because you don't want to use more time up for extended games and upset the TV schedules. God forbid that you don't cause the networks to miss out on televising such heavy hitting Sunday afternoon programs like Lap Quilting, and reruns of Barney Fife, or Gilligan.

I don't understand why, (if the regular season standings DETERMINE who gets to the playoffs), why is is not as important to decide the PROPER winner during regular season too. This is a sham, (even more, it is a shame).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billy Flynt

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
How about this idea.... take the coin flip out of it. The team that scores to tie the game in regulation no matter when that score took place receives the ball first. Or alteranatively the team that gets tieds gets the ball. Might encourage a team to go for two at the end of regulation. Leave it as sudden death.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Thank you NFL Football for diminishing the worth of regular season games. I hope you intend to do the same with the price of attendance, since it is not as important to have the same rules apply to regular season that apply to overtime. What a farce and a fraud.

Basically you have said that it is important to have BOTH teams get a chance to operate the offense in playoffs overtime, but not in the regular season. Could this possibly be because you don't want to use more time up for extended games and upset the TV schedules. I don't understand why, (if the regular season standings DETERMINE who get to the playoffs), why is is not as important to decide the PROPER winner during regular season too. This is a sham, (even more, it is a shame).
:bang::yeahthat:

Buckybird

Reaction score
Thank you NFL Football for diminishing the worth of regular season games. I hope you intend to do the same with the price of attendance, since it is not as important to have the same rules apply to regular season that apply to playoffs. What a farce and a fraud.

Basically you have said that it is important to have BOTH teams get a chance to operate the offense in playoffs overtime, but not in the regular season. Could this possibly be because you don't want to use more time up for extended games and upset the TV schedules. God forbid that you don't cause the networks to miss out on televising such heavy hitting Sunday afternoon programs like Lap Quilting, and reruns of Barney Fife, or Gilligan.

I don't understand why, (if the regular season standings DETERMINE who gets to the playoffs), why is is not as important to decide the PROPER winner during regular season too. This is a sham, (even more, it is a shame).

Amen brotha!!!

I heard the reasoning was because of injuries & the commish is the person who really pushed for the new rule :bang:

I'm telling you QB's will have lime green jerseys that say "don't hit me" in the not too distant future...it's coming!!!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The playoffs are more important than the regular season. :shrug:

I think this rule should be extended to the regular season as well, but trying to argue that a playoff game has the same importance as a regular season game is the wrong way to do it.