OT: OT rules change approved

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure why everyone is so fired up. When the Cards are in the playoffs next season would you want to lose because another team won the coin toss and was able to get a FG or would you not celebrate the fact we would get a chance to match or score a TD and respond? It seems to me it should be in all games not just post season but either way I see it as it could help us out in the future so not all bad.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
It seems to me it should be in all games not just post season

:yeahthat:

seems like the NFL is always making up another rule to cover up a stupid rule!!!

Like I said, they should duel to the death at the beginning of OT. Each team picks a guy off the practice squad, they walk 10 paces then fire away!!! Last man standing wins.

Last edited:

Oly

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thank you NFL Football for diminishing the worth of regular season games. I hope you intend to do the same with the price of attendance, since it is not as important to have the same rules apply to regular season that apply to playoffs. What a farce and a fraud.

Basically you have said that it is important to have BOTH teams get a chance to operate the offense in playoffs overtime, but not in the regular season. Could this possibly be because you don't want to use more time up for extended games and upset the TV schedules. God forbid that you don't cause the networks to miss out on televising such heavy hitting Sunday afternoon programs like Lap Quilting, and reruns of Barney Fife, or Gilligan.

I don't understand why, (if the regular season standings DETERMINE who gets to the playoffs), why is is not as important to decide the PROPER winner during regular season too. This is a sham, (even more, it is a shame).

I don't have a link but I was watching the NFL network and they stated that this rule is most likely going to be implemented for the regular season. The owners wanted to talk to the players union and the television networks before they voted on it at their next owners meeting. I can't remember what date it was scheduled for but it will be before the season starts. It was their opinion that it was going to be worked out and it was going to be implemented for the regular season as well.

I personally like the idea of each team geting the ball and going sudden death after that.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-passes-player-safety-rules-032410

Seven of eight overall rules proposals were adopted, then several owners said they also expect the modified overtime for the playoffs that passed the previous day to be revisited in May to include the regular season.

"It's a better system, so why not have a better system every game?" Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said of expanding the new OT rule that allows a team losing the coin toss and allowing a field goal on the first series to then get a possession.

New York Giants owner John Mara added he expects discussion and possibly a vote on using the new OT system to occur at the owners meetings in Dallas in May. The change was proposed only for the postseason by the competition committee and was passed 28-4 Tuesday.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said the league wants to meet with the players and the networks for some input and further discuss the ramifications of expanding the OT change.

"We had a proposal for the postseason, we passed that with the understanding that it'll be discussed for the regular season," he said.