OT: Lakers sign Kendall Marshall

Errntknght

Reaction score
I guess if Beas can change so can Kendall... just from his numbers in the D-league it sound like he must have gotten much more aggressive. It was probably a humbling experience, too, which he needed. I won't be surprised to see him do well.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I guess if Beas can change so can Kendall... just from his numbers in the D-league it sound like he must have gotten much more aggressive. It was probably a humbling experience, too, which he needed. I won't be surprised to see him do well.

Great in college and great in D-League.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was horrible in d-league until recently. Maybe all that shooting practice is starting to pay off. Still, he is not enough of a well-rounded player for what we are trying to do. He fits Mike D's system.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mike D's system is all about having guys who can shoot at each position, Marshall can't shoot. Seems like a less than ideal fit to me.

Correct. No shot, no chance. He'd fit right in with Mike's defensive philosophy though.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
As they say in baseball, AAAA all-star.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Marshall with 20 points (8/12), 15 assists and 6 boards against Utah.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was afraid that would happen. His shooting has improved. We'll see if it lasts. His d won't matter under Dantoni.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good for Kendall. If he is able to maintain that level of play consistently it just further proves that you can't necessarily project a player based on his past level of play. I am more than happy with Dragic and Bledsoe right now and there really was no room for Kendall. It's just a shame that he didn't show more while here so we could have actually got something more back for him

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I hope Kendall Marshall has a good career. However, I have my doubts about his shooting because of his mechanics.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always been afraid Phx will wish they have kept him. He seems smart and would find a way to contribute..at the very least in the assist category.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I have always been afraid Phx will wish they have kept him. He seems smart and would find a way to contribute..at the very least in the assist category.
Assist-only Point Guards have not been consistent starters on quality teams unless and until they learned how to put the ball in the basket, too.

Weak on defense -- well, that has been a different story.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting read. What polite and intelligent posters they have.

Yeah, I've always been impressed by their board. Most of their posters are both knowedgeable and reasonable. Although I do disagree with the poster who suggested that Miles was simply living off of slam dunks created by athletic guards. He has done his share of work in the low post. For a second year player with virtually no court time behind him, he's fairly well advanced down low. His exceptional footwork has a lot to do with it but trying to score against Hibbert in practice probably helped him considerably.

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah, I've always been impressed by their board. Most of their posters are both knowedgeable and reasonable. Although I do disagree with the poster who suggested that Miles was simply living off of slam dunks created by athletic guards. He has done his share of work in the low post. For a second year player with virtually no court time behind him, he's fairly well advanced down low. His exceptional footwork has a lot to do with it but trying to score against Hibbert in practice probably helped him considerably.

Steve

When looking at big men, the first thing I look at is their footwork, and Plumlee may have the best footwork I've ever seen in a second year player.

If he continues adding low post moves and develops some kind of a 15-foot jumper, the kid is going to be an all star.

Scary (good kind of scary) thing is that apparently he did not have that hook shot in his arsenal in the summer league. When I heard that during the first game, I thought they were joking (can't remember if it was EJ or TC.) If someone develops that shot in a couple of months, it's scary to think how much he can learn in a year or two.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
9 pts on 3-10 shooting including 1-5 from 3, 17 assists, 6 rebounds and just 3 TOs for Marshall in his second start.

Looks like D'Antoni's found the closest thing to prime Nash he's had since leaving PHX. And when I say closest thing to prime Nash, I mean a very poor desperate man's Nash.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken Marshall has started 5 games now in his career and put up double digit assists in each of them

He started 3 times for us and averaged sometimeline 11apg+ on few turnovers, he had one 15 assists 0 turnover game.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
9 pts on 3-10 shooting including 1-5 from 3, 17 assists, 6 rebounds and just 3 TOs for Marshall in his second start.

Looks like D'Antoni's found the closest thing to prime Nash he's had since leaving PHX. And when I say closest thing to prime Nash, I mean a very poor desperate man's Nash.

Well on Friday night against the Jazz, he put up 20 points, 15 Assists, 6 Rebounds. Shot 8-12 from field, 2-3 from 3 point land, including some key buckets in a close game to help pull out a W. Not too shabby.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some players need minutes to be effective. It seems that Marshall is one of them. He just was not going to get the minutes here behind Goran and Eric. Also, he is just too one dimensional for the type of team we are trying to build. He's OK in DAntoni's system.

He has been and always will be an assist machine.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some players need minutes to be effective. It seems that Marshall is one of them. He just was not going to get the minutes here behind Goran and Eric. Also, he is just too one dimensional for the type of team we are trying to build. He's OK in DAntoni's system.

He has been and always will be an assist machine.

He was getting minutes when we sent him to the D league and he failed spectacularly while there. Some people come into the league believing they already know it all and only after hitting rock bottom do they start to accept instruction. Perhaps that's happening here.

I'd also point out that Marshall came into the league with two huge knocks on his court game. He was a poor defender and an even worse shooter. I think it's far too early to put those concerns to bed.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He was getting minutes when we sent him to the D league and he failed spectacularly while there. Some people come into the league believing they already know it all and only after hitting rock bottom do they start to accept instruction. Perhaps that's happening here.

I'd also point out that Marshall came into the league with two huge knocks on his court game. He was a poor defender and an even worse shooter. I think it's far too early to put those concerns to bed.

Steve

Also Marshall was not athletic and too slow to gain penetration on offense.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did D'Antoni draft Marshall or was he already gone?

I was a bit surprised when the Lakers picked up Marshall and not local kid Larry Drew 2, but then I figured well if D'Antoni drafted marshall it made sense he picked him up since he was familiar with him.