OT: about Justin Herbert.....

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
admittedly: i have watched very little Oregon football. This is very well an overreaction to an outlier kinda performance, but...

after watching Herbert vs ASU last night, I have serious questions if he is a top 10 kinda NFL prospect.

most of his yardage came from RAC on WR screens. I never saw a throw and thought: that was a NFL quality delivery.

OTOH: Johnny Johnson sure looked good. He is built like a RB, but catches with his hands and (apparently) has very good speed. listed at 6-0 and 200 lbs, but looks thicker. RAC was very impressive. Junior eligible.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wasn’t impressed by Herbert either, he was really not good.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin Herbert's downside is Mario Cristobal. he has physical dimensions, skills cannon arm and a poopy coaching staff.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Herbert looks stiff and his mechanics (at least last night) were horrible. He's big and has a good arm but I like KM much better :)
Is it just me, or does Daniels have a little KM flash? He can run and juke, but prefers to throw, just like KM...and has a tremendous deep ball. And he's so cool under pressure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does Daniels have a little KM flash? He can run and juke, but prefers to throw, just like KM...and has a tremendous deep ball. And he's so cool under pressure.

He does. But he is sooooo skinny.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy has had three coaches in four years and had 40% of his INTs for the season last night. He looked like a future #1 pick after his Sophomore year, regressed last year and had a somewhat bounce back season until last night. I am not sure we know what he is yet. He probably hurt his draft stock, so he'll probably be the next Patriot in a long list of players that are supposed to replace Brady and get traded away after two seasons. As Southpaw said, it could be Cristobal or he may have already peaked. We won't know for a couple of years.

I will tell you this, as a Sun Devil fan, I am happy to have Daniels for at least the next two years. He progressed as the season went on and with a better OL next year should take the steps forward that Herbert was expected to.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Pretty impressive performance last night against a tough team. He was pretty cautious with his running, but was on the money with his passes and clearly looked better than Hebert.

And his versatility does remind me a bit of KM. If he keeps developing, he may end up as a #1 as well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve never understood it. I’d roll the dice on Tua long before Herbert. The NFL will swallow him up.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if Tua will go back to ALA. He is going to slide if he stays in but if he goes back to school then he will have to contend with Trevor Lawrence as top pick in next year's draft.

With Tua being injury prone and Herbert's inconsistency, I would hate to need a QB this year. MIA went through all the trouble of positioning themselves for Tua that they may need to tank again next year to have a shot at Lawrence. Of course, Chase Young is one hell of a consolation prize if you can't get a franchise QB.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if Tua will go back to ALA. He is going to slide if he stays in but if he goes back to school then he will have to contend with Trevor Lawrence as top pick in next year's draft.

With Tua being injury prone and Herbert's inconsistency, I would hate to need a QB this year. MIA went through all the trouble of positioning themselves for Tua that they may need to tank again next year to have a shot at Lawrence. Of course, Chase Young is one hell of a consolation prize if you can't get a franchise QB.
That’d be dumb. If you already have durability issues, why go BACK to school where you’re not even getting paid(legally)? He would also be challenging Justin Fields as the top QB as well.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
admittedly: i have watched very little Oregon football. This is very well an overreaction to an outlier kinda performance, but...

after watching Herbert vs ASU last night, I have serious questions if he is a top 10 kinda NFL prospect.

most of his yardage came from RAC on WR screens. I never saw a throw and thought: that was a NFL quality delivery.

OTOH: Johnny Johnson sure looked good. He is built like a RB, but catches with his hands and (apparently) has very good speed. listed at 6-0 and 200 lbs, but looks thicker. RAC was very impressive. Junior eligible.

Herbert is a prototypical pocket passer. Those are getting hard to find, yet several offenses are still built around them. He’ll go 1 or 2. You’re right about Johnson but this is a great year for WRs.

Gimpy, don’t think Chicago is sure they have their QB. The front office especially is very unsure about him.

As for a Tua, I wrote on another thread my dream would be for the Cards to get a top 7 pick and give it up to someone wanting Tua. Just ignore all those people dropping him into the second 10. It won’t happen.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That’d be dumb. If you already have durability issues, why go BACK to school where you’re not even getting paid(legally)? He would also be challenging Justin Fields as the top QB as well.
I heard ESPN College football guys mentioning that last week after he got injured. He could slip to bottom part of 1st round, if he goes back and stays healthy and has a Heisman type year then who knows. Who's to say Lawrence or Fields (I'm not sold on him as a franchise QB) don't get hurt next year? Injuries are a gamble every year for top NFL prospects so unless Tua's hip injury is career threatening which people are now saying its not as severe as Bo Jackson's then who knows what Tua's people are advising him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Johnson the son of former Card and SJSU RB Johnny Johnson? I googled it but couldn't find it anywhere but he's Johnny the 3rd

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I heard ESPN College football guys mentioning that last week after he got injured. He could slip to bottom part of 1st round, if he goes back and stays healthy and has a Heisman type year then who knows. Who's to say Lawrence or Fields (I'm not sold on him as a franchise QB) don't get hurt next year? Injuries are a gamble every year for top NFL prospects so unless Tua's hip injury is career threatening which people are now saying its not as severe as Bo Jackson's then who knows what Tua's people are advising him.

The odds of Tua getting hurt again are much greater than any of the other QBs guy has never been healthy. I assume his family wants him to go to the NFL especially since Tuas younger brother will prob the starting QB job at bama next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sorry , Harry (I know), that was a facetious comment on the post right above mine about overdrafting him. I was being facetious/stupid:rolleyes:.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson