OT: 2005 NFL Sunday Ticket Price Announced

roland77

Rookie
Reaction score
Directv just announced their new pricing for the 2005 NFL season. They're charging $219 for the regular package in SD, plus an additional $99 for the games in High-Def! Oh well, can't miss the Cards games.
:lame:

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be cancelling. I really liked the HD games last season, but when I'm only home 9 weeks out of the season to watch it (the other weeks I'm at the Cards games), it's not worth $320.

And in the end, the away Cards games are free in HD here in Phoenix.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
that is very lame ... hopefully a lot of people wont buy the HD option so they will revise it next year

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
The extra $99 also gets you a few other features such as a red zone channel that plays the big plays around the league as they happen, and a channel with a screen that shows 8 games at once. There is also a channel that plays the games commercial free after they are over...that would be nice for taping or burning. Still not enough for me for the bucks. I will still renew, just not for the extra.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How come every time my income goes up, so do prices of everything I want? :shrug:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vince56 said:
How come every time my income goes up, so do prices of everything I want? :shrug:

It's called life, my friend. And sometimes it sucks, lol!

Well, I know I'll be anteing up. Won't get the high def though. Wouldn't benefit me anyway. My TV is old. So is my computer (1994). And my CD player just busted. I think I need a complete home makeover, at least in the electronics department.

freebyrd

Reaction score
wasn't someone on here saying that they followed a grandfather pricing structure and you always pay what you first payed to sign up?
if this is for old and new customers it sucks

Codeofhammurabi

Cards Fan Since 1971
Reaction score
Signed up for mine. It sounds like a lot, but $219 is still not bad to be able to see all of the games when it would cost that much just to go to 1 game in person.

GO CARDS!!

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I still think it's a great deal if you don't live in Arizona and go to the games. For the last 7 years I purchased Sunday Ticket even though I missed half of the weeks because I was actually at the Cardinals game.

Honestly, though, it was nice to have because when the team was on the road, the local stations here in Phoenix showed the Cards. Often they were getting blown out on the road in 2002 and 2003, and it was great to watch other games. Hopefully I won't have any interest in watching the other games now.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
freebyrd said:
wasn't someone on here saying that they followed a grandfather pricing structure and you always pay what you first payed to sign up?
if this is for old and new customers it sucks

When I added Tivo and an extra receiver about 5 months ago, I mentioned to the associate handling my order that I'd bet my NFL package was going to go up because of the new tv contract signed by DirecTv with the NFL.

He told me that as long as I never cancel the subscription I will continue to pay the price that I have been paying and it would never go up. Any increase would be for new subscribers.

The bill should be coming up on June or July's statement. I'll let you know.

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
I figure that DTV by now would have extorted enough money from the tens of thousands of "pirates" they caught to give sunday ticket away for free.

Charging an extra $99 dollars for HD is flat out rediculous. When you pay for programming, your paying for the content not the format.

I'll take my HD OTA for free thank you very much.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
When I added Tivo and an extra receiver about 5 months ago, I mentioned to the associate handling my order that I'd bet my NFL package was going to go up because of the new tv contract signed by DirecTv with the NFL.

He told me that as long as I never cancel the subscription I will continue to pay the price that I have been paying and it would never go up. Any increase would be for new subscribers.

The bill should be coming up on June or July's statement. I'll let you know.

I think you may have been fed some misinformation. It looks like there are 3 price levels. $199 for renewal customers, $219 for early-bird purchasers and $239 for those who miss the early bird price.

I paid $179 last year. I have been an NFL Sunday ticket subscriber since its inception back in 1994 I think it was. My price goes up every year there is an overall price increase. I think it was $99 back in 1994.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
DieHardFromMO said:
I think you may have been fed some misinformation. It looks like there are 3 price levels. $199 for renewal customers, $219 for early-bird purchasers and $239 for those who miss the early bird price.

I paid $179 last year. I have been an NFL Sunday ticket subscriber since its inception back in 1994 I think it was. My price goes up every year there is an overall price increase. I think it was $99 back in 1994.

You are correct. I first purchased Sunday Ticket when it was $129 and it has steadily been going up. The last couple of year, though, have been the largest increases.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still do not understand how Direct TV can make a profit paying the NFL over $700 million dollars PER YEAR for the next 5 years for their NFL Sunday ticket agreement.

If Direct TV got 3,500,000 customers (that's 3.5 MILLION) to pay $200 each for NFL Sunday Ticket, they would break even. It looks like a lot of customers are paying less than this.

The numbers just don't add up.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
DirecTV sells Sunday Ticket to commercial establishments also. Price is much higher. I don't run a bar so I don't know the exact prices, but they don't just pay $200 for the whole season and feed all 16 concurrent games to 35 TVs.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
DirecTV sells Sunday Ticket to commercial establishments also. Price is much higher. I don't run a bar so I don't know the exact prices, but they don't just pay $200 for the whole season and feed all 16 concurrent games to 35 TVs.

Good point. I forgot about the commercial side of the business.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cardsmasochist said:
Good point. I forgot about the commercial side of the business.

I am sure they dont make a killing for the NFL ticket but it makes people get direct tv for that option.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardsmasochist said:
I still do not understand how Direct TV can make a profit paying the NFL over $700 million dollars PER YEAR for the next 5 years for their NFL Sunday ticket agreement.

If Direct TV got 3,500,000 customers (that's 3.5 MILLION) to pay $200 each for NFL Sunday Ticket, they would break even. It looks like a lot of customers are paying less than this.

The numbers just don't add up.

I'm sure it's much like the networks. Even if they lose money the exposure makes it worth it. When NBC and CBS lost the NFL, they put up monster bids the next time round even though they were basically guaranteed to lose money if you looked at the ad rates straight up.

OP
OP
R

roland77

Rookie
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
I am sure they dont make a killing for the NFL ticket but it makes people get direct tv for that option.

Yes, I think a good bit of revenue also comes from the subscribers who have to purchase a regular monthly package from Directv before they can buy the Sunday Ticket package.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard