Ossenfort and Free Agency

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Murphy and Allen production can be replaced in FA AND the draft. Might already be close to replacing even.

Thank you, sir!
We might be close to plugging holes Monti helped make, more than a year latter? Does this mean we'll finally have the roster ship-shape by 2026? lol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murphy and Allen production can be replaced in FA AND the draft. Might already be close to replacing even.

Thank you, sir!
There is no basis in reality for the idea that we’re already close to even. Williams was okay and then injured and Stills ain’t close to the player Allen is.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heck, I'll even be fair and spot you a Kyzir White and a Frodo (who aren't on long-term deals, which creates its own headaches, but whatever). Do you think we're walking away with 4-6 FA starters this coming offseason? I sure don't.
Has there EVER been a FA period that walks away with 4-6 starters?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't research the players and don't care to waste my time to do so, as it's in the past. Don't tell me you're in the "well, if you don't tell me exactly who you wanted you don't have any room to gripe" faction, are you? That's a poor argument.

Let's put it this way. We should have done more, and not doing so leaves us with more holes now. Surely we can all agree on that simple fact.
I am also too lazy to look up what Allen and Murphy did for the Broncos and Vikings. I didn't notice Murphy on any of the Viking games I saw. Did he play?

Stout

Reaction score
Nice try. There isn't some magic number that says if you spent a lot or not in FA. We have gone round and round why they didn't spend last year.

They seem to have a vision and a plan for this year. If they don't get at least one above average starter this year, I will be very disappointed.
If we get one average starter and that's it, fire Monti. That would be beyond idiotic. We need reinforcements in FA. We need top end, proven talent on this team. Yes, we need to push the package beyond what the Cards are used to doing and what Bidwill is comfortable spending. That's the position we're in.

Or we can demur and target 2025 to compete.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I didn't research the players and don't care to waste my time to do so, as it's in the past. Don't tell me you're in the "well, if you don't tell me exactly who you wanted you don't have any room to gripe" faction, are you? That's a poor argument.

Let's put it this way. We should have done more, and not doing so leaves us with more holes now. Surely we can all agree on that simple fact.
not a poor argument. If a person cannot name who they thought would fit the team then they are simply bitching because its raining.
poo happens... but a rational man certainly would not expect Monti to spend money simply because he has money to spend. Thats the height of stupidity. cap dollars have to be well invested or else the team will suffer for years from those bad decisions.

if a person cannot present a reasonable plan for how they would have spent those cap dollars last season then they should simply never mention them again. Because it is only about spreading negativity and not about discussing football at all.
bitching because its raining

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, nice try. I'm just saying we need to be aggressive. Nobody here really believes we will be. You don't. I don't.
I actually think we will be more aggressive than less. But what does that (aggressive) mean to you?

Do we sign a top 5 free agent and consider that aggressive, I don't think so.
Do we sign at least 2 people that would start on more than half of the teams in this league, and probably at least one more starter for the Cards? I do. I think that is pretty aggressive, don't you?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we get one average starter and that's it, fire Monti. That would be beyond idiotic. We need reinforcements in FA. We need top end, proven talent on this team. Yes, we need to push the package beyond what the Cards are used to doing and what Bidwill is comfortable spending. That's the position we're in.

Oops! my mistake. I thought the DNA would kick in at the start of the new business year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ha, nice try. I'm just saying we need to be aggressive. Nobody here really believes we will be. You don't. I don't.
The question is: how far off are the Cardinals?

They were 3-5 in games started by Kyler Murray, and 1-9 in the rest. 75% of those wins came against playoff teams.

How much better would the team the team have been with Murray at QB? I think during the 1-9 stretch, they likely would have won 3 more games.

So my thoughts are this is a 7-10 roster which is pretty remarkable considering the overall view most have of this roster.

What that means is that I don't think the mountain is as high as you do. It's not a coincidence that the Eagles D fell off so hard after losing Gannon, and we all have commented how much better the OL and running game look.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes the Cardinals have to get more than one starter via FA. I'm thinking at least 3-4 FAs who could be plugged in as starters. I'm targeting CB, DT, WR, Edge, TE, G.

playing off of PFF top FA list:

I'm targeting players like the following:

#1: CB KENDALL FULLER, WASHINGTON COMMANDERS
Contract Projection:
Three years, $40 million ($13.33 million per year), $25 million total guaranteed

#2: CB STEVEN NELSON, HOUSTON TEXANS
Contract Projection:
Two years, $14.5 million ($7.25 million per year), $8.5 million total guaranteed

#3: DI SHELDON RANKINS, HOUSTON TEXANS
Contract Projection: Two years, $20 million ($10 million per year), $12 million total guaranteed

#4: LB AZEEZ AL-SHAAIR, TENNESSEE TITANS
Contract Projection: Three years, $20.25 million ($6.75 million per year), $11.5 million total guaranteed

#5: DI TEAIR TART, TENNESSEE TITANS
Contract Projection:
Three years, $31.5 million ($10.5 million per year), $20.5 million total guaranteed

#6: DI FLETCHER COX, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
Contract Projection: One year, $9 million fully guaranteed

#7: WR TYLER BOYD, CINCINNATI BENGALS
Contract Projection: Two years, $17.5 million ($8.75 million per year), $10.75 million total guaranteed

#8: S JORDAN FULLER, LOS ANGELES RAMS
Contract Projection:
Two years, $9.25 million ($4.625 million per year), $6.25 million total guaranteed

#9: EDGE DORANCE ARMSTRONG, DALLAS COWBOYS
Contract Projection: Three years, $25.5 million ($8.5 million per year), $15.5 million total guaranteed

If the Cardinals could land 3-4 of these middle tier FAs I think that would be a win. Then toss in a bunch of Vet minimum ish FAs for depth.

netsnjkidd

Veteran
Reaction score
But that doesn’t mean to expect star level play from guys who have had only minuscule flashes of talent.
100%.Still with guy like BJ Olujari who plenty scouts had him as a sleeper, steal of draft who was said to be hasson reddick like. Id be shocked other than injury if he doesnt show starter level type play next season,might get flashes of a star. He was youngest player drafted in the draft.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patriots in 2021. Spent a record amount in 1 year.
Okay. I have to give you that one. It definitely seems to be an outlier, I think we can agree to that.

Even so, look at that list.
Other than Judon and probably Henry, it doesn't look like money well spent. It shows the point of spending, just to spend isn't a good strategy. They didn't exactly light the world on fire with that 137.5M spent.

Matthew Judon, LB$32M
Jonnu Smith, TE$31.25M
Hunter Henry, TE$25M
Nelson Agholor, WR$16M
Deatrich Wise Jr., DE$10M
Jalen Mills, S$9M
Davon Godchaux, DT$9M
Kendrick Bourne, WR$5.25M
Total$137.5M

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, it's the Cardinals. Look at the history.
There is a lot validity to that. Most of their history, they have been the poorest franchise in the league. That isn't a surprise.

They did spend big on JJ Watt even though it was a two year deal. The Cards aren't immune to free agent signings.

You don't think that we sign at least one above average starter in free agency? If so, wager?

Stout

Reaction score
not a poor argument. If a person cannot name who they thought would fit the team then they are simply bitching because its raining.
poo happens... but a rational man certainly would not expect Monti to spend money simply because he has money to spend. Thats the height of stupidity. cap dollars have to be well invested or else the team will suffer for years from those bad decisions.

if a person cannot present a reasonable plan for how they would have spent those cap dollars last season then they should simply never mention them again. Because it is only about spreading negativity and not about discussing football at all.
bitching because its raining
Schoolyard reasoning. Please do better lol