Ossenfort and Free Agency

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We went to the playoffs two years ago and got bounced and the next two seasons we won four games each. The Giants were in the playoffs last year; this year they won six games. The Chargers were getting ready for the playoffs 12 months ago and then their coach got bounced after 14 games.

What did these teams win from their one-and-done playoff experiences?
Yes, much better to go 4-13. Learn a lot more.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We went to the playoffs two years ago and got bounced and the next two seasons we won four games each. The Giants were in the playoffs last year; this year they won six games. The Chargers were getting ready for the playoffs 12 months ago and then their coach got bounced after 14 games.

What did these teams win from their one-and-done playoff experiences?
This is an odd take after you've repeatedly argued that the Cardinals shouldn't have stripped the roster completely bare for a total rebuild, but should've spent cap space on a few more decent vets last off-season so they could've been in contention for a playoff spot this season.

What would they have learned from that?!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
What does this mean? Not signing Allen and Murphy set the rebuild back? Wouldn't signing them mean it was less of a rebuild/more of just keeping status quo?
Again...again, not talking directly about Allen and Murphy. Jettisoning talent and not signing much talent (none beyond 2 years) in FA set the rebuild back some. Some folks scoffed and said we'd just do double the buying in FA this coming year to make up for that, and have now disappeared because clearly that's not happening.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Again...again, not talking directly about Allen and Murphy. Jettisoning talent and not signing much talent (none beyond 2 years) in FA set the rebuild back some.

Are in you in the mindset that we tanked on purpose in 2023?
Are you for/against the ideas that a) Allen and Murphy didn't want to be here and/or b) Monti didn't want them?
What about the mindset that Monti had to tear down the roster to bare bones to build it up his way for long term success (total rebuild vs band-aid/purgatory)?

I believe in everything above today.

We will know in 2024/2025 if this was the correct strategy and if it was executed correctly.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again...again, not talking directly about Allen and Murphy. Jettisoning talent and not signing much talent (none beyond 2 years) in FA set the rebuild back some. Some folks scoffed and said we'd just do double the buying in FA this coming year to make up for that, and have now disappeared because clearly that's not happening.
What the heck happened, FA has already started? Time flies when one gets older.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Are in you in the mindset that we tanked on purpose in 2023?
Are you for/against the ideas that a) Allen and Murphy didn't want to be here and/or b) Monti didn't want them?
What about the mindset that Monti had to tear down the roster to bare bones to build it up his way for long term success (total rebuild vs band-aid/purgatory)?

I believe in everything above today.

We will know in 2024/2025 if this was the correct strategy and if it was executed correctly.
#1: We did, clearly. I think Chopper has it right and the only possible reason for the FA famine was keeping our powder dry for this year in case we needed to get rid of Kyler.
#2: Not covering the Allen/Murphy ground again. To say I've rambled on about it is to say water is wet lol
#3: We didn't have to bare bones it. There was talent we could have kept (again, not rehashing #2) IMO. Getting rid of Nuk was necessary and smart, but (again, without rehashing) getting nothing for him was wasteful.

Overall, we had to go through a painful 2023 and that's fine. I don't think anybody was upset we didn't try to compete for a winning season. Tanking wasn't the worst idea. I took issue with the idea that you couldn't try to start to build while starting a rebuild.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yes, much better to go 4-13. Learn a lot more.
HES BACK!!!! Welcome back, Mulli!

There are alternatives to going one-and-done and finishing bottom five in the NFL. There are multiple ways to become a longtime contender. I’m just saying you don’t look at a playoff team and say “we’ll just do that too.”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Newsflash! The Cardinals are not going to win the 2025 Super Bowl. If you believe there’s a chance of that you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

MO appears to be building sustainability. We should see some solid free agents coming in. Instead of 1 “10” free agent I’d like to see 2-3 “8’s”.

Here’s a question for you all. At the start of the year how many of you saw Houston in the playoffs? I’m going to say nobody. All us “experts” ( including me) were wringing our collective hands drooling at the thought of 2 top 10 picks. Yet, the Texans are in the playoffs.

MO and JG are going to find players that fit the culture and the scheme. Look for us to sign front 7 players that solidify the front 7 of this defense. I’m going to believe they know what they’re looking for. We scoffed at the Froholdt and White signings yet TODAY most of us are calling for us to extend them now.

Build with solid players and draft for superstars. Drafting MHJ as our future superstar is not a guarantee he will be just that. However it’s a better way to build a team than spending 120m over the next 4 years for Tee Higgins.

I will be shocked if we go out a sign Chris Jones. Of course, I wouldn’t be unhappy. But here’s some irony. Assume Zac Allen never played here. The Cards announce we signed him. have to wonder how many of us would be jumping for joy and how many of us would be complaining.
Huh I thought the board was mostly positive re white signing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think you NEED to sign high price FAs or "Stars". IMO the Cardinals need to bring in capable FAs who fit the system and buy into the culture. Obviously the Cardinals need several starters and depth guys added this offseason via FA in addition to the players that they add through the draft.

If you look at the FAs that the Texans brought in last season, there weren't any BIG name High Price FAs from the top 10 FA lists that they brought in. They were mostly Middle tier guys who fit in and filled a roll.

Dalton Shultz was the highest ranked FA that they signed (#17 on NFL.coms list of 2023 FAs) for $6.2M on a 1 year deal
Shaquill Griffin (#33 on NFL.coms list of 2023 FAs) for $3.5M on a 1 year deal
Jimmy Ward (#38 on NFL.coms list of 2023 FAs) for $12M over 2 years
Sheldon Rankins (#81 on NFL.coms list of 2023 FAs) for $9M on a 1 year deal
Devon Singletary (#85 on NFL.coms list of 2023 FAs) for $3.1M on a 1 year deal
Denzel Perryman (#89 on NFL.coms list of 2023 FAs) for $2.2M on a 1 year deal
Every one of those would be considered higher profile free agents than the ones we signed last year (white might rank in the lower middle of THISE guys I’m guessing).

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
HES BACK!!!! Welcome back, Mulli!

There are alternatives to going one-and-done and finishing bottom five in the NFL. There are multiple ways to become a longtime contender. I’m just saying you don’t look at a playoff team and say “we’ll just do that too.”
cool

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, source? How do you know we won't aggressively spend on FA this coming year?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort