Ossenfort and Free Agency

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Odunze is still a great prize at 8.

This is assuming that MHJ is gone, which is probably about 50/50 at this point.
Im tossed up... MHJ, Alt...solid prospects and very likely all pro's in the making...

but in my searching I looked a lot at Amarius Mims and Brenden Rice... Im fairly sure Mims will be one of the best OT;s in the NFL in 3 or 4 years... but there will be growing pains...he is however an option should we decide to move PJJ to the left...Mims could be had with the Texans pick or maybe even 35....but I kinda wanted Dline with that Texans pick..

Brenden Rice...dude is a pure stud..100 percent thoroughbred WR...and if he had his older brothers name everyone would be talking about him as a first round pick. ....But Brenden Rice doesnt compete for clicks with Marvin Harrison JR as well as Jerry Rice JR would....kid runs highly polished routes, has great game speed..hit 21.7 mph on the gps this season..MHJ hit 22.2 BTW.... Rice has quick hands, catches with his fingers,...and he is a beast to bring down...reminds me of Anquan with the ball in his hands....Right now Rice is projected 3rd round...but he is going to move up.....

they say never fall in love with prospects... but TBH I wouldnt be mad if our first three picks were MHJ, Mims, Rice...then grab a DT, RB, OG in the third...and CB, DT, ILB with the rest of our picks. Finish out the offense in the draft and use our cap space on Defense...with some young guys to develop.

Double dipping on WR early sounds excessive... but we been trying to finish the room for a long time. This would finish it with two guys that are big, fast, and precise....will cause champagne problems later probably...but thats worlds better than having nobody in the pattern that our QB trusts enough to throw to

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double dipping on WR early sounds excessive... but we been trying to finish the room for a long time. This would finish it with two guys that are big, fast, and precise....will cause champagne problems later probably...but thats worlds better than having nobody in the pattern that our QB trusts enough to throw to
Sadly, we have too many holes, especially on defense to draft two WRs early.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I don't see us drafting 2 WR's early. Probably one early and one in round 3 or later.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Sadly, we have too many holes, especially on defense to draft two WRs early.
see, I dont think so. I mean YES we have holes... but we cannot fill them all with rookies... Gannons system relies on the front four getting pressure...I dont think they will be spending any premium picks or premium money on DB... BUT, DT, DE, NT, EDGE.. in Philly Gannon routinely rushed four and dropped seven.. in that defense fast linebackers are more important than good DB;s...
so, a solid DT/NT that eats up double teams does wonders..add in a DE that does the same and now our OLB;s are all rushing single coverage... we can move our defense up a few slots in the rankings just by adding a few players... Maybe draft T'Vondrae Sweat...then add an older DT to the mix on a 1 or 2 year deal... with two solid big men pushing the front of the pocket the job gets tons easier for our edge guys,,, then you just have to count on your youth developing at a normal Rate...
IMO...having one side of the ball completely done is a strength...then we just incrementally get the defense better over the next couple seasons. we cant fix it all at once anyway but a high scoring offense will win us a lot of games with an opportunistic defense

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
For those hoping for big name / big dollar free agents, keep the following in mind:

Mike Sando had articles in The Athletic that listed the top 11 free agent signings of 2022 and 2023 by APY. It's interesting to see the results of bringing in high-dollar free agents, even after such a short time:

2022 (Status column is mine, based on info in the article and more recent updates):
RankPlayerSigned ByAPYStatus
1Von MillerBUF$20M2022: 8 sacks, injured; '23: 0 sacks, benched
2Christian KirkJAC$18M65 ypg in 2022-23, currently injured
3Chandler JonesLV$17M2022: 4.5 sacks; '23: went off the deep end
4J.C. JacksonLAC$16.5Mbenched, traded -> NE; started 20 games total
5Brandon ScherffJAC$16.5Mstarter
6Allen RobinsonLAR$15.5Mtraded -> PIT, 619 yards in 2022-2023
7Terron ArmsteadNO$15M2022 and '23 Pro Bowler
8Haason ReddickPHI$15M2022 and '23 Pro Bowler
9Foyesade OluokunJAC$15Mstarter
10Marcus WilliamsBAL$14Mmajor injury but started 21 games total
11Za'Darius SmithMIN$14Mtraded -> CLE

2023 (ditto):

Buyer beware!
Give me 10 more Kyzir White type signings.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That’s the biggest problem imo, there just isn’t that super stud defensive player in this draft. No sauce, no stud passrusher.
This is why I think you have to sign a big time veteran. Granted, last year's defensive class wasn't that good either. Too bad their isn't an Aidan Hutchinson caliber D player when the Cardinals have a top pick.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Post-draft the best free agents are gone. No slam dunk starting quality tackles will be left.

This is why I think the top priority in free agency should be oline and CB. If we sign two good players for those positions, that will be a very solid free agency for this team.
I think we can find a LG in the draft as we will likely keep Wilkerson and Colon.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. Forcing need is one of the ways to mess up your drafts
It isn't forcing a need. You can't say that Kool-Aid wouldn't be a player near BPA at a point of need for example. Same with Latu

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It isn't forcing a need. You can't say that Kool-Aid wouldn't be a player near BPA at a point of need for example. Same with Latu
He isn't even the best CB on his own team. And, I don't have him as a comparable prospect as many of the top WRs or OTs. Maybe if the board fell weird he would be a good option with the Texans pick but I am not moving back in the draft to try to add defense.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And to be honest, that is why punting a free agency year (whether by design or not) can be hurtful. You can't count on similar players to be available or alternative options in the draft.
But, but, we were assured by all these posters that we could just get the same players--literally, by some posters--or the same types of players--a year later. You mean that isn't always possible? *clutches pearls* Well, I never!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
But, but, we were assured by all these posters that we could just get the same players--literally, by some posters--or the same types of players--a year later. You mean that isn't always possible? *clutches pearls* Well, I never!
The Cardinals can though. Bring back Campbell or sign Michael Pierce along with signing a marquee front seven player and we won't ever mention moving on from Allen.

Allen is a nice player, but he's hardly irreplaceable.

Murphy wasn't even that good with the Vikings this year. He would have had a pretty bad year here with no pass rush.

Stout

Reaction score
The Cardinals can though. Bring back Campbell or sign Michael Pierce along with signing a marquee front seven player and we won't ever mention moving on from Allen.

Allen is a nice player, but he's hardly irreplaceable.

Murphy wasn't even that good with the Vikings this year. He would have had a pretty bad year here with no pass rush.
I was addressing the certain posters (not you) who scoffed last year because every FA period is totally the same and we can just do the same business "next year." Which is clearly false, and which they will clearly try to change the narrative on.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Monti cut his teeth in New England and then Tennessee.

Look back at the history - they don't make big splashes in FA.

They build with solid FA acquisitions, draft picks, and trades.

Rarely do they make a big splash with a high priced FA.

Bud Dupree was the biggest one at Ten (got a 5 year contract) and he was a major bust. They cut him in year 2 of the deal.

Stout

Reaction score
Monti cut his teeth in New England and then Tennessee.

Look back at the history - they don't make big splashes in FA.

They build with solid FA acquisitions, draft picks, and trades.

Rarely do they make a big splash with a high priced FA.

Bud Dupree was the biggest one at Ten (got a 5 year contract) and he was a major bust. They cut him in year 2 of the deal.
Bud Dupree was a massive gamble I saw failing from a mile away. Unfortunately, with this roster, Monti has painted himself in a corner. If he doesn't make a big splash--several of them--in FA, this team isn't competing. There are both too many gaping roster holes and not enough (almost no) star power on this team. You need some studs on both side of the ball, and we didn't get them in the draft last year, and we can only hope to get one (maaaybe two) this year. We must have proven talent injected into this roster. Not saying we need to go crazy and sign 5 or 6 high-profile FAs, but we definitely need at least 2, with the addition of other, solid FA signings. Not doing so last year and having so many holes this year forces the narrative. Otherwise, we're looking at 2025 (unless we have a historic draft).

Before anyone starts crying, Paris was solid. He was not a stud nor a star. Nothing wrong with that, but we are in desperate need of top-end talent.

Reactions: PJ1

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
You need some studs on both side of the ball, and we didn't get them in the draft last year,

How do you know that one or more of our rookies won't develop into a star player in year 2 or 3 in league? Last year no one thought that Trey McBride was going to develop into a player with star potential in year 2. Isn't it possible that Michael Wilson, PJJ, Garrett Williams, Ojulari, or others develop into star players in year 2 or 3 in the league?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do you know that one or more of our rookies won't develop into a star player in year 2 or 3 in league? Last year no one thought that Trey McBride was going to develop into a player with star potential in year 2. Isn't it possible that Michael Wilson, PJJ, Garrett Williams, Ojulari, or others develop into star players in year 2 or 3 in the league?
Yea, kind of a wild thing to say, lol.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Isn't it possible that Michael Wilson, PJJ, Garrett Williams, Ojulari, or others develop into star players in year 2 or 3 in the league?
It’s possible, but that’s not a plan. None of those players projected as potential stars.

It’s great if it happens, but you can’t build around hoping Dante Stills becomes Chris Jones.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bud Dupree was a massive gamble I saw failing from a mile away. Unfortunately, with this roster, Monti has painted himself in a corner. If he doesn't make a big splash--several of them--in FA, this team isn't competing. There are both too many gaping roster holes and not enough (almost no) star power on this team. You need some studs on both side of the ball, and we didn't get them in the draft last year, and we can only hope to get one (maaaybe two) this year. We must have proven talent injected into this roster. Not saying we need to go crazy and sign 5 or 6 high-profile FAs, but we definitely need at least 2, with the addition of other, solid FA signings. Not doing so last year and having so many holes this year forces the narrative. Otherwise, we're looking at 2025 (unless we have a historic draft).

Before anyone starts crying, Paris was solid. He was not a stud nor a star. Nothing wrong with that, but we are in desperate need of top-end talent.
Can’t take it all the way down and then not be very active in FA. It will take successful drafting and FA to get this team winning games. Our D is so devoid of talent it will take take a combination of the two to make them decent.

netsnjkidd

Veteran
Reaction score
It’s possible, but that’s not a plan. None of those players projected as potential stars.

It’s great if it happens, but you can’t build around hoping Dante Stills becomes Chris Jones.
You don't build hoping but you should expect some type of jump from your rookie players the next year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Newsflash! The Cardinals are not going to win the 2025 Super Bowl. If you believe there’s a chance of that you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

MO appears to be building sustainability. We should see some solid free agents coming in. Instead of 1 “10” free agent I’d like to see 2-3 “8’s”.

Here’s a question for you all. At the start of the year how many of you saw Houston in the playoffs? I’m going to say nobody. All us “experts” ( including me) were wringing our collective hands drooling at the thought of 2 top 10 picks. Yet, the Texans are in the playoffs.

MO and JG are going to find players that fit the culture and the scheme. Look for us to sign front 7 players that solidify the front 7 of this defense. I’m going to believe they know what they’re looking for. We scoffed at the Froholdt and White signings yet TODAY most of us are calling for us to extend them now.

Build with solid players and draft for superstars. Drafting MHJ as our future superstar is not a guarantee he will be just that. However it’s a better way to build a team than spending 120m over the next 4 years for Tee Higgins.

I will be shocked if we go out a sign Chris Jones. Of course, I wouldn’t be unhappy. But here’s some irony. Assume Zac Allen never played here. The Cards announce we signed him. have to wonder how many of us would be jumping for joy and how many of us would be complaining.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Unfortunately, with this roster, Monti has painted himself in a corner. If he doesn't make a big splash--several of them--in FA, this team isn't competing.

Not saying we need to go crazy and sign 5 or 6 high-profile FAs, but we definitely need at least 2, with the addition of other, solid FA signings. Not doing so last year and having so many holes this year forces the narrative. Otherwise, we're looking at 2025 (unless we have a historic draft).

Disagree. I would imagine Monti is pretty close to where he planned to be after year 1. Tank, build, etc.

The fact is - we were already competitive at the end of 2024 with this tank roster.

Based on his experience in the NFL - I would bet he is going to sign solid FA's, extend current guys with reasonable contracts, and build through the draft.

I don't expect a Chris Jones, Tee Higgins, or Josh Allen in 2024.