Ossenfort and Free Agency

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Agree to disagree on the big signings, we patiently waited a year through a bust year in promise of the future. This coaching staff, this team, and especially us the fans deserve an aggressive push in free agency to get us to playoff contention. We’ve got a ton of cap space and two holes the size of the Grand Canyon at WR and D-lineman. Chris jones and T Higgins are precisely the two (I know we probably wouldn’t get both) free agents I would be targeting. This team is star deficient - it’s time to change that.
Damn straight. There is a time to go big and go home--this offseason is that time. Pick the right guys and get them. Last year was the year to go moderate in FA and instead we went small. This year there are zero excuses if the team has any hope of competing.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Damn straight. There is a time to go big and go home--this offseason is that time. Pick the right guys and get them. Last year was the year to go moderate in FA and instead we went small. This year there are zero excuses if the team has any hope of competing.
I think there should be an urgency to get an impact player or two on defense. I know the offense could use one too, however looking at the defense there is no one you could even remotely call an impact player on the defense. Look at the playoff teams and most of them have a impact player on defense. Some have two. I'm talking about players who can change the flow of a game. Big play at a critical time when it is needed.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think there should be an urgency to get an impact player or two on defense. I know the offense could use one too, however looking at the defense there is no one you could even remotely call an impact player on the defense. Look at the playoff teams and most of them have a impact player on defense. Some have two. I'm talking about players who can change the flow of a game. Big play at a critical time when it is needed.
Yep. And this is scary, considering the draft capital spent early on defense in recent years. We took a pass rusher round 2 last year and are projected to be no better at rushing the passer. Ugh.

Reactions: PJ1

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree to disagree on the big signings, we patiently waited a year through a bust year in promise of the future. This coaching staff, this team, and especially us the fans deserve an aggressive push in free agency to get us to playoff contention. We’ve got a ton of cap space and two holes the size of the Grand Canyon at WR and D-lineman. Chris jones and T Higgins are precisely the two (I know we probably wouldn’t get both) free agents I would be targeting. This team is star deficient - it’s time to change that.
Hmmm. I don’t think we are quite there to go big just yet. If we were one or two players away I would agree.
But today, we need a little too much to put all of our eggs in one basket.
Rather than sign one huge player, I see us signing 3 very good free agents.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’ll never get this perspective. While you’re right, it’s literally part of the GMs job to players on coming to/staying with the team. If he lands the players he wants and they produce he’s a good gm. If fails to land his targets or the targets he lands stink he’s a bad gm.
...Or to find equivalent players to replace them.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The tricky part is that Monti is going to have to swing pretty hard to grab an impact defensive player this year since he didn't really try last year. And if he misses out, which he could because I don't know how many will actually be available, there can be no excuses for him. Maybe he makes a big trade to supplement, but the only way it makes sense to strip down the talent on your team is if you can add some to replace it.

So, I don't want to hear about how Madubieke didn't want to come to AZ or that he wanted too much money. Or that he preferred to go to a contender. I don't care. I don't want to hear about these teams deciding to franchise tag their own players which is why Monti couldn't land a meaningful front 5 player. He needs to produce some talent outside of the draft.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tricky part is that Monti is going to have to swing pretty hard to grab an impact defensive player this year since he didn't really try last year. And if he misses out, which he could because I don't know how many will actually be available, there can be no excuses for him. Maybe he makes a big trade to supplement, but the only way it makes sense to strip down the talent on your team is if you can add some to replace it.

So, I don't want to hear about how Madubieke didn't want to come to AZ or that he wanted too much money. Or that he preferred to go to a contender. I don't care. I don't want to hear about these teams deciding to franchise tag their own players which is why Monti couldn't land a meaningful front 5 player. He needs to produce some talent outside of the draft.
I think is best chance to do that would be to trade down to the 7-8 range and grab the best defensive player. (possibly in the draft)

I'm also all aboard on the Madubuike train.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

The Cardinals are going to have to overpay to get a marquee front seven player to come here, point blank.

If I'm the Cardinals, I'm throwing a massive contract at Chris Jones, Christian Wilkins, or Madubuike. Maybe less him than Donald money, but with incentives that can exceed his contract.

I would also try to bring back Campbell. Imagine adding Jones and Campbell to the front seven.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think is best chance to do that would be to trade down to the 7-8 range and grab the best defensive player. (possibly in the draft)

I'm also all aboard on the Madubuike train.
That’s the biggest problem imo, there just isn’t that super stud defensive player in this draft. No sauce, no stud passrusher.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the biggest problem imo, there just isn’t that super stud defensive player in this draft. No sauce, no stud passrusher.

I can’t remember the last draft that didn’t have ONE possible superstar defensive player that everyone liked/talked about like this draft.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those hoping for big name / big dollar free agents, keep the following in mind:

Mike Sando had articles in The Athletic that listed the top 11 free agent signings of 2022 and 2023 by APY. It's interesting to see the results of bringing in high-dollar free agents, even after such a short time:

2022 (Status column is mine, based on info in the article and more recent updates):
RankPlayerSigned ByAPYStatus
1Von MillerBUF$20M2022: 8 sacks, injured; '23: 0 sacks, benched
2Christian KirkJAC$18M65 ypg in 2022-23, currently injured
3Chandler JonesLV$17M2022: 4.5 sacks; '23: went off the deep end
4J.C. JacksonLAC$16.5Mbenched, traded -> NE; started 20 games total
5Brandon ScherffJAC$16.5Mstarter
6Allen RobinsonLAR$15.5Mtraded -> PIT, 619 yards in 2022-2023
7Terron ArmsteadNO$15M2022 and '23 Pro Bowler
8Haason ReddickPHI$15M2022 and '23 Pro Bowler
9Foyesade OluokunJAC$15Mstarter
10Marcus WilliamsBAL$14Mmajor injury but started 21 games total
11Za'Darius SmithMIN$14Mtraded -> CLE

2023 (ditto):
1Derrick CarrNO$37.5Mdealt with injuries, underperformed
2Jimmy GaroppoloLV$24.25Mdealt with injuries, benched
3Javon HargraveSF$21M2023 Pro Bowler
4Jawaan TaylorKC$20Mstarter, underperformed
5Tremaine EdmundsCHI$18Mstarter, underperformed
6Mike McGlincheyDEN$17.5Mstarter
7Dre'Mont JonesSEA$17.2Mstarter
8Orlando Brown Jr.CIN$16Mstarter
9Jessie Bates IIIATL$16M2023 Pro Bowler
10Zach AllenDEN$15.9Mstarter, underperformed
11Odell Beckham Jr.BAL$15M565 yards in 2023
Buyer beware!

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
For those hoping for big name / big dollar free agents, keep the following in mind:

Mike Sando had articles in The Athletic that listed the top 11 free agent signings of 2022 and 2023 by APY. It's interesting to see the results of bringing in high-dollar free agents, even after such a short time:

2022 (Status column is mine, based on info in the article and more recent updates):
1Von MillerBUF$20Mmajor injury, briefly benched in 2023
2Christian KirkJAC$18Mmajor injury in 2023
3Chandler JonesLV$17Mwent off the deep end in 2023
4J.C. JacksonLAC$16.5Mtraded -> NE
5Brandon ScherffJAC$16.5M
6Allen RobinsonLAR$15.5Mtraded -> PIT
7Terron ArmsteadNO$15M2022 Pro Bowler
8Haason ReddickPHI$15M2022 Pro Bowler
9Foyesade OluokunJAC$15M
10Marcus WilliamsBAL$14Mmajor injury
11Za'Darius SmithMIN$14Mtraded -> CLE

2023 (ditto):

Not sure whether all of these are up to date / accurate, but... buyer beware!
so...based on your data...if they dont have a pro bowl season you need to hurry up and trade them before they get hurt.

solid.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So then it isn't really a viable plan for this upcoming year.
It isn't an ideal one, that's for sure.

If the draft goes:
Caleb, Maye, MHJ in the first 3 picks, it is likely a team will fall in love with Jayden and want to deal. I certainly would deal if I would fall no lower than 8. This should give you the option to still get one of the two tackles, or choose between Turner and Verse and still have additional 1st, or multiple 2nds to grab someone. You could definitely be in the market for Odunze as well.

If both tackles are gone at 8, I would move Paris to LT and try and sign an RT in free agency and leave Beachum as a backup.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It isn't an ideal one, that's for sure.

If the draft goes:
Caleb, Maye, MHJ in the first 3 picks, it is likely a team will fall in love with Jayden and want to deal. I certainly would deal if I would fall no lower than 8. This should give you the option to still get one of the two tackles, or choose between Turner and Verse and still have additional 1st, or multiple 2nds to grab someone. You could definitely be in the market for Odunze as well.

If both tackles are gone at 8, I would move Paris to LT and try and sign an RT in free agency and leave Beachum as a backup.
It's highly likely that after MHJ and the QB's Alt and Fashanu are the next 2 guys off the board... if Monti wants his choice of those 2 guys he can't trade back more than 1 slot.

A generational WR prospect might be a better pick than a franchise LT..maybe...but a really good WR is not.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's highly likely that after MHJ and the QB's Alt and Fashanu are the next 2 guys off the board... if Monti wants his choice of those 2 guys he can't trade back more than 1 slot.
Odunze is still a great prize at 8.
A generational WR prospect might be a better pick than a franchise LT..maybe...but a really good WR is not.
This is assuming that MHJ is gone, which is probably about 50/50 at this point.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post-draft the best free agents are gone. No slam dunk starting quality tackles will be left.

This is why I think the top priority in free agency should be oline and CB. If we sign two good players for those positions, that will be a very solid free agency for this team.