Oklahoma Targeting Kliff Kingsbury for HC Vacancy

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Value of Kingsbury’s current contract: $10 mil

Mel Tucker at MSU: $95 mil.

Imagine what Oklahoma will be willing to pay its next coach.

This all depends on if Kliff’s preference for the NFL can be swayed by money. Plus, would Bidwill be willing to give Kliff an 8-10 year contract worth $80-$100 mil? It’s possible that that’s what the dollar amount would be for OU’s next coach
Yeah, Penn State just extended Franklin 5yr-$75 million for a guy who has gone 11-10 over the last two years. SMH

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m getting really sick of people who never watched big 12 football say “look how it went for a&m and mizzou” a&m and mizzou had their moments in the big 12 but they weren’t powerhouses so of course they failed. Oklahoma will only benefit from going to the sec. They already have top 10 recruiting classes going there will just make it easier to recruit and they are already a consistent powerhouse.
HAD a top 10 class

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m getting really sick of people who never watched big 12 football say “look how it went for a&m and mizzou” a&m and mizzou had their moments in the big 12 but they weren’t powerhouses so of course they failed. Oklahoma will only benefit from going to the sec. They already have top 10 recruiting classes going there will just make it easier to recruit and they are already a consistent powerhouse.
Since you picked my quote out to respond to, I think the assumption I don’t watch Big 12 (or at times not 12) is fallacious. I can‘t recall the last week I didn’t watch at least one game, mostly OK games. My daughter graduated from OK State. Nice Cowboy win this week, which I watched. It’s true they have recruited well and had good coaches. I’m just saying the midrange SEC teams are much stronger than the Big 12. The move may help recruiting but I see them still ending up in much the same place as A&M. They can win but still be outside looking in when the national championship bracket comes out. I’m not sure Kingsbury doesn’t one day get the urge to go back to college. Many do. I just don‘t see the timing as being right. The money is so big it’s hard to ignore, but I don’t see the OK job as moving him from a Super Bowl contending team. Next year’s team will face a tougher schedule, but should still be positioned to contend. I can’t think of a coach in that situation who has been pulled away.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
not that this is dispositive:

Ive trolled through Oklahoma media and Kliff's name hasnt been mentioned.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Kliffy’s playing the game

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Shefter is agent funnel. The chances of Kliff going to OU are very low IMO. Not to say he won't get an extension after the season.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kk hasn't proved anything yet with the Cards. They folded last year in the 2nd half after an impressive first half. Let's see what happens the rest of the season before we crown him.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
What is nuts is public funded colleges paying that much For a coach. If the latest chicken little( the sky ain’t falling) covid strain doesn’t stop me, I’m Headed to Valparaiso chile until March. Writing, treasure hunting, trying to put moby dick on my stringer.

might miss cards Super Bowl run, but not like I’ve had the opportunity before either. Might not come again, be bold, be aggressive, kick some AZ!

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kk hasn't proved anything yet with the Cards. They folded last year in the 2nd half after an impressive first half. Let's see what happens the rest of the season before we crown him.
Posting this again in case you missed it. That is a epic turnaround and proven he is can win in the NFL. While he struggled without Kyler last year, he fixed that this year. He's getting better each year and at this point, I hope they lock him up with a 6 year $60 million extension.

You must be registered for see images attach

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Kliffy’s playing the game
100%. He and his team are milking this for all its' worth... of course, as far as I'm concerned, I would not be in tears of he took the Oklahoma job. :bigyawn:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
What is nuts is public funded colleges paying that much For a coach. If the latest chicken little( the sky ain’t falling) covid strain doesn’t stop me, I’m Headed to Valparaiso chile until March. Writing, treasure hunting, trying to put moby dick on my stringer.

might miss cards Super Bowl run, but not like I’ve had the opportunity before either. Might not come again, be bold, be aggressive, kick some AZ!
Since Michigan State was mentioned earlier I will use them as a test case.

The coach gets 95mm over 10 years. 9.5mm per year.

MSU in 2018/2019 made 76.6mm in football revenue and that accounted for 57% of all departmental revenue in 2018/2019. That was also 18th in the nation for athletic department revenue.

I think the head coach should be around 8 to 10% of that football revenue number just based on the recruiting & coaching factor. I get it's a lot of money...... but it's a lot of money for a reason.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USC is not a public institution...

University of Southern California is a private institution that was founded in 1880. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 19,606 (fall 2020), its setting is urban, and the campus size is 226 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. University of Southern California's ranking in the 2022 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #27. Its tuition and fees are $60,275.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Couple of things...This right here is why KK isn't going back to college. If he wanted a college job, he would have made sure his name was circulated for USC, not OK. He's adapted to the West Coast lifestyle. He's not going back to a flyover state.

Secondly, those of you saying the college game is harder than NFL are obviously forgetting a few things and coaches. Look no further than The Old Ball Coach. He was shocked at how much more time the NFL game took away from his personal life...couldn't play golf daily, like he could at Florida. That's a big reason he bailed and went back to college (the other was obviously thinking Danny Weurfel could be successful in the NFL). These big name college coaches aren't on the daily grind for recruiting....they are only brought in as closers, when needed or if it's a super high 4/5 star recruit. In the NFL, you often hear stories of coaches like Gruden, Belichick, Dungy, etc basically living in their office...even sleeping there, because the pro game requires them to eat and sleep football 24/7.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Couple of things...This right here is why KK isn't going back to college. If he wanted a college job, he would have made sure his name was circulated for USC, not OK. He's adapted to the West Coast lifestyle. He's not going back to a flyover state.

Secondly, those of you saying the college game is harder than NFL are obviously forgetting a few things and coaches. Look no further than The Old Ball Coach. He was shocked at how much more time the NFL game took away from his personal life...couldn't play golf daily, like he could at Florida. That's a big reason he bailed and went back to college (the other was obviously thinking Danny Weurfel could be successful in the NFL). These big name college coaches aren't on the daily grind for recruiting....they are only brought in as closers, when needed or if it's a super high 4/5 star recruit. In the NFL, you often hear stories of coaches like Gruden, Belichick, Dungy, etc basically living in their office...even sleeping there, because the pro game requires them to eat and sleep football 24/7.
He left USC after being there for three weeks. I doubt they would want him back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA