Oklahoma Targeting Kliff Kingsbury for HC Vacancy

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This all feels so incestuous! KK was supposed to be the USC OC and had that happened, we probably have Rosen and suck and Riley is still at OU and we could be targeting him. Instead, Riley to USC and rumors OU wants KK.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
there is a practical aspect to this:

OU desperately needs a HC for recruiting. Early Letter of intent day is December 17 -- Final letter of intent day is in April

would Kliff really quit mid-season? That just seems so incredibly unlikely

Would OU be ok with him not being able to recruit full time if he goes to the SuperBowl ( i.e mid Feb?)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple of things...This right here is why KK isn't going back to college. If he wanted a college job, he would have made sure his name was circulated for USC, not OK. He's adapted to the West Coast lifestyle. He's not going back to a flyover state.

Secondly, those of you saying the college game is harder than NFL are obviously forgetting a few things and coaches. Look no further than The Old Ball Coach. He was shocked at how much more time the NFL game took away from his personal life...couldn't play golf daily, like he could at Florida. That's a big reason he bailed and went back to college (the other was obviously thinking Danny Weurfel could be successful in the NFL). These big name college coaches aren't on the daily grind for recruiting....they are only brought in as closers, when needed or if it's a super high 4/5 star recruit. In the NFL, you often hear stories of coaches like Gruden, Belichick, Dungy, etc basically living in their office...even sleeping there, because the pro game requires them to eat and sleep football 24/7.
Good post. I've always thought big time NCAA coaches would be crazy to go to the NFL exactly for some of the reasons you stated. Look at Urban Meyer right now. He isn't enjoying it very much.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
100%. He and his team are milking this for all its' worth... of course, as far as I'm concerned, I would not be in tears of he took the Oklahoma job. :bigyawn:
This is quite literally his agents job. Of course his agent is working for his client. That is what his agent gets paid to do. The difference is that Kliff has no clue about it and agents keep this info from their clients can deny or deflect or push aside any of the rumors honestly.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Good post. I've always thought big time NCAA coaches would be crazy to go to the NFL exactly for some of the reasons you stated. Look at Urban Meyer right now. He isn't enjoying it very much.
Some guys love the college atmosphere. Some guys love the pros. When Kliff says he loves that he can by 24/7 football, that is the appeal. Similar to teaching elementary school vs teaching college. Personal preference and benefits to each.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are hands down the funniest old guy around!

Thanks! I don't know jack about football so I just roam around the edges.

btw, my little brother found my '65 high school annual and surprised me with it at Thanksgiving dinner. There's a pick of me with the team so at least I knew how to put a jersey on!

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
there is a practical aspect to this:

OU desperately needs a HC for recruiting. Early Letter of intent day is December 17 -- Final letter of intent day is in April

would Kliff really quit mid-season? That just seems so incredibly unlikely

Would OU be ok with him not being able to recruit full time if he goes to the SuperBowl ( i.e mid Feb?)
Good point. No way will he leave right now…

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Being an LSU fan, this is hard to take. Never liked Brian Kelly.
I'll be honest, early on I was very suspect of Brian Kelly, then I realized Chip Kelly is the crappy Kelly. I actually kind of like Brian Kelly now and I think he will do great at LSU.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
LOL each domino that falls “_____ has targeted Kliff Kingsbury as a possible replacement for Coach_____”.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll be honest, early on I was very suspect of Brian Kelly, then I realized Chip Kelly is the crappy Kelly. I actually kind of like Brian Kelly now and I think he will do great at LSU.
Brian Kelly is the crappy one. He actually got a kid killed.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Kliff has improved a lot this year...but if he wants to go to college let him go. We have a franchise QB and some decent weapons. I don't think KK has done anything so unique that he couldn't be replaced. I'd offer him a new contract, but nothing crazy based on him threatening going to NCAA

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I think Kliff has improved a lot this year...but if he wants to go to college let him go. We have a franchise QB and some decent weapons. I don't think KK has done anything so unique that he couldn't be replaced. I'd offer him a new contract, but nothing crazy based on him threatening going to NCAA

Agreed. I wouldn’t let him hold the franchise hostage. Reasonable offer and then that is it.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
I can't believe the taxpayers of these overburdened states would be willing to shell out 10 million dollars per year of taxpayer money to a local college football coach, while highways crumble and schools fall apart and police and firemen do without.
It happens brother. All over the country.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kliff’s agent is working those insiders hard
You must be registered for see images

There was a time I really thought he'd be able squeeze Johnny Manziel in here for a tryout. He's going to get Kliff and Kyler paid lots of money in the offseason.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian Kelly is the crappy one. He actually got a kid killed.
"In late October, a student videographer was killed during practice when the hydraulic lift he was using collapsed due to high winds. Kelly acknowledged it was his decision to hold practice outdoors that day.[9] The University was fined $77,500 by the Indiana Occupational Health and Safety Administration for safety violations related to the incident. "

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose