Official 2019 Free Agency

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Does that open the door for Billy Turner to come to the Cards.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No.

Buying high is buying low in Free agency. 6/10 deals signed today will look terrible NEXT off-season.

Free agency success rates are most abysmal historically.

Except I'm not advocating us "buying high" or making a big splash right now. All I was commenting on was that the "bargains" listed in the post I quoted that we got off the waiver wire and trade don't look like they add much at all to me.

There's a reason the perpetually injured Steeler was traded for a 6th round pick... a reason one of the worst ranked CBs in the league was cut (who we then paid a good deal of money for)... a reason a TE who's been dog-snot for years was cut... a LBer who's been injured and unproductive the last couple years costs 2 million bucks. I'm afraid we're going to get what we paid for with almost all the signings Keim made pre-FA. That's what I'm talking about Krang.

I like the Swearinger pick-up, but other than that, the "bargains" we got in pre-FA look a hell of a lot like Keim-time crap we've been served the last couple years.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Except I'm not advocating us "buying high" or making a big splash right now. I'm just saying the "bargains" listed in the post I quoted that we got off the waiver wire and trade don't look like they add much at all to me.

There's a reason the perpetually injured Steeler was traded for a 6th round pick... a reason one of the worst ranked CBs in the league was cut (who we then paid a good deal of money for)... a reason a TE who's been dog-snot for years was cut... a LBer who's been injured and unproductive the last couple years costs 2 million bucks. I'm afraid we're going to get what we paid for with almost all the signings Keim made pre-FA. That's what I'm talking about Krang.

I like the Swearinger pick-up, but other than that, the "bargains" we got in pre-FA look a hell of a lot like Keim-time crap we've been served the last couple years.

I think the signings are going to be a mixed bag. Swearinger is likely going to be pretty good.

I've watched Alford and he is a solid signing. Have you seen what most corners are getting paid? It is average money for a starting corner. Buster Skrine is awful and he got a decent contract.

Gilbert is an good player with an injury history, hopefully thats not the only move.

Brooks Reed is a good back up, rotation guy

Charles Clay has been OK, I don't know why you say "dog snot for years". Last year was an off year, but he's been a good player most of his career. What's the best part about these signings? None count against the comp pick formula.

DEVIN FUNCHESS GOT $13 MILLION! I wouldn't want to pay him $6 million. All I'm saying is that Keim added a lot of decent depth.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the signings are going to be a mixed bag. Swearinger is likely going to be pretty good.

I've watched Alford and he is a solid signing. Have you seen what most corners are getting paid? It is average money for a starting corner. Buster Skrine is awful and he got a decent contract.

Gilbert is an good player with an injury history, hopefully thats not the only move.

Brooks Reed is a good back up, rotation guy

Charles Clay has been OK, I don't know why you say "dog snot for years". Last year was an off year, but he's been a good player most of his career. What's the best part about these signings? None count against the comp pick formula.

DEVIN FUNCHESS GOT $13 MILLION! I wouldn't want to pay him $6 million. All I'm saying is that Keim added a lot of decent depth.

yeah... this reminds me of off-seasons past when we'd signed the Paris Lenons/Andre Smiths of the world at key positions and people were SURE they were just "depth" signings and there were more shoes to drop. But people on this and the suns board are always waiting for "the other shoe to drop." I don't believe most of these are "depth" signings or trades. I've been around too long to see most of these signings as anything but what they usually end up being... starters (outside Brooks Reed)... and marginal ones at that if they can even stay on the field health wise.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
yeah... this reminds me of off-seasons past when we'd signed the Paris Lenons/Andre Smiths of the world at key positions and people were SURE they were just "depth" signings and there were more shoes to drop. But people on this and the suns board are always waiting for "the other shoe to drop." I don't believe most of these are "depth" signings or trades. I've been around too long to see most of these signings as anything but what they usually end up being... starters (outside Brooks Reed)... and marginal ones at that if they can even stay on the field health wise.

Gilbert isn't a marginal starter.

Neither is Alford.

Clay might be.

I think it's too early to start the doom and gloom. I don't see what there is to complain about. Most of today's signings we're awful.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Except I'm not advocating us "buying high" or making a big splash right now. All I was commenting on was that the "bargains" listed in the post I quoted that we got off the waiver wire and trade don't look like they add much at all to me.

I'm hoping the only starters in the bunch are Alford & Gilbert. Brooks Reed is for depth only I hope. Clay should be no more than depth because the TE position is deep this yr, Iowa has 2 TE's alone that may go 1st round? The Cardinals imo should only sign players with a higher price tag who's positions are not deep in the draft, otherwise they're overspending. They still have 10 picks as of right now, subtracting the cost for Gilbert. I never felt good about the Andre Smith signing last yr, he was already past his prime & injury prone. That's why the Bengals let him walk. He ended up being the starter, got burned quite often & ended up going on IR midseason or around that.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great days for us
We didn't sign any of those average players to overpriced contracts like we did last year with Pugh

Funchess 13mil for year
Trent Brown 16mil for year
A nickel corner paid like a first corner
Ecc ecc

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gilbert isn't a marginal starter.

playing 6 games a year that's EXACTLY what he is. I mean JESUS, how many times are people going to fall for older OL with major injury histories and believe that's going to change?

Neither is Alford.

at 30 years old, injured and atrocious last year, making 8 million per, he's an overpaid ? as far as I'm concerned.

Clay might be.

agreed.

I think it's too early to start the doom and gloom. I don't see what there is to complain about. Most of today's signings we're awful.

Holy crap... STOP PROJECTING THIS KIND OF CRAP. ALL I WAS DOING WAS QUESTIONING WHETHER OR NOT OUR "BARGAINS" WERE REALLY BARGAINS. Am I saying we're screwed? No. I just don't think there's much to pat ourselves on the back about with our "bargain" pickups. It's that simple.

FFS... I hate it when people completely misconstrue others opinions.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
4 years 88million...YIKES!
I don't understand this. Foles has a winning record, pro bowler, won a super bowl, super bowl MVP, great locker room guy etc. At 22 mil per year that is one heck of a bargain for Jaguars compared to the likes of Tannehill, Kirk Cousins, Stafford etc..

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does that open the door for Billy Turner to come to the Cards.
This one would be a type of signing i like
One year starter, solid contributor and wont demand too much, plus was playing for our offensive line coach and he knows what the guy can offer

Another player i d like they sign is Quenton Spain, he had some good seasons in Tennessee

Shaquille Barret is another player i like, still young and solid contribution playing a back up role

Maybe they can sign Jamie Collins to 1 year prove it deal or offering a late round pick for someone like Zach Brown

About defensive line i wish we get Darius Philon and Henry Anderson or Brett Urban

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
my fear is when you buy low, more often than not, you get what you pay for.

Do you really think teams are getting what they pay for when safeties are getting $14 million and Funchess gets $13 million?

I expected salaries to increase but the amount of money being thrown around is crazy...there isn’t a single contract I saw today that makes me say I wish the Cardinals had signed that guy. Had they signed someone like Mosley he would have taken up nearly half their available cap space that’s nuts, he’s a good player but come on.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This one would be a type of signing i like
One year starter, solid contributor and wont demand too much, plus was playing for our offensive line coach and he knows what the guy can offer

Another player i d like they sign is Quenton Spain, he had some good seasons in Tennessee

Shaquille Barret is another player i like, still young and solid contribution playing a back up role

Maybe they can sign Jamie Collins to 1 year prove it deal or offering a late round pick for someone like Zach Brown

About defensive line i wish we get Darius Philon and Henry Anderson or Brett Urban

We need some reasonably priced 5 - technique Dends and I like two: Urban, you mentioned, and Covington from the Texans.

Some targets:
B. Turner G
R. Gunter NT
B. Urban DE
C. Covington DE
B. Callahan Nickle CB
T. Boston FS
J. Collins ILB

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need some reasonably priced 5 - technique Dends and I like two: Urban, you mentioned, and Covington from the Texans.

Some targets:
B. Turner G
R. Gunter NT
B. Urban DE
C. Covington DE
B. Callahan Nickle CB
T. Boston FS
J. Collins ILB
Bryce Callahan will not come cheap.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Bryce Callahan will not come cheap.
I like the player and his scrappy underdog mentality. One of the better slot corners in the league. However, he gets injured quite often. Never managed to play a full season. So an undersized DB with a nasty attitude and health issues who will demand top slot CB money. Seems like a perfect match for Keim!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
playing 6 games a year that's EXACTLY what he is. I mean JESUS, how many times are people going to fall for older OL with major injury histories and believe that's going to change?

at 30 years old, injured and atrocious last year, making 8 million per, he's an overpaid ? as far as I'm concerned.

agreed.

Holy crap... STOP PROJECTING THIS KIND OF CRAP. ALL I WAS DOING WAS QUESTIONING WHETHER OR NOT OUR "BARGAINS" WERE REALLY BARGAINS. Am I saying we're screwed? No. I just don't think there's much to pat ourselves on the back about with our "bargain" pickups. It's that simple.

FFS... I hate it when people completely misconstrue others opinions.

The Cardinals still have like what, $40 million in cap space??

I think the team is already quite a bit better than last year already.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I don't understand this. Foles has a winning record, pro bowler, won a super bowl, super bowl MVP, great locker room guy etc. At 22 mil per year that is one heck of a bargain for Jaguars compared to the likes of Tannehill, Kirk Cousins, Stafford etc..
This will explode in the Jags face as bad as extending Bortles

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Well, fine, let's completely ignore that he's on his 5th team (I'm counting the Eagles 2nd run as another team, because it's a different coaching staff and all), openly contemplated retiring from the sport, struggled mightily at times with the Eagles in both iterations, was given up on for Sam Bradford, and is heading to a team with mediocre receivers, in a dead zone for football.

Foles is a really good backup. Like Ryan Fitzpatrick though, the guy just can't carry a team as the full time starter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson