Official 2009 Draft Thread

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Thabeet is having a poor tournament judged by the expectations for him, maybe he will fall quite a few spots to the end of the lottery like Harden could while players like Cole Aldrich are playing well enough to declare this year and be taken in the lottery.

Kemba Walker had a great game for Uconn, they have him in the mockdrafts for 2010, but who knows a few good games in the tournament can propel any freshman in the middle of the first round or even lottery when the scouts already knew that the talent is there.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like Thabeet, but his offense leaves much to be desired

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like Sam Young. Extremely athletic, has a killer instinct, really long, and his outside shot is improving. Although I like Blair, I think he will struggle a bit at the next level, anything 15 or better is too high for him IMO.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Previously I had Stephon Curry as my pick for the Suns at #14 but now I am hoping for Nick Calathes out of FLA, this guy has the size and skill to take over for Nash next year.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2009earlyentry

He officially declared

nbadraft.net:

Has received some hype but scouts feel he lacks the speed, quickness and athleticism to defend at the point guard position. He's intriguing due to his shooting stroke and size as a playmaker. Likely mid 2nd rounder.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Say no to Hansbrough. Please, anyone but him.

You're giving Samuels an awful lot of credit. Draftexpress has him listed 69th best in this years draft for a reason.

Hansborough is ony my anti-wishlist also.

What is happening to him tonight against Griffin is what he will face on a regular basis in the NBA.

Plus he is already a senior, he is a guy I wouldn't mind in the 2nd round with our second 2nd round pick if anything.

Griffin is an Amare clone if he can develop a jumpshot.

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the fact that when Griffin isn't scoring, he is doing other things to help his team....like rebounding the basketball.:D

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A sports radio guy was proclaiming that Stefon Jackson (UTEP) is a borderline first round pick, based on his performance in the CBI tournament.....:|

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like what I saw of Samardo Samuels. If the 'Ville goes any deeper, he'll declare this year. He's a top 8 talent this year, so I'd do something to get him here. He looks legit.

I'd go like this:

1) Thabeet
2) Samuels
3) Blair
4) Hill
5) Hansborough

If we come out of the draft with one of those guys, I'd say we are at least trying to get on the right track.

The problem with Samuels is Corliss Williamson disease he's shorter than they list him and overpowers college guys but probably can't in the NBA. He can play but even in college he's had problems with bigger players.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The problem with Samuels is Corliss Williamson disease he's shorter than they list him and overpowers college guys but probably can't in the NBA. He can play but even in college he's had problems with bigger players.

Ugh. No undersized power players not named charles barkley please

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Then again, there has been some decent undersized guys comin out lately huh. We need rebounding and defense tho. That usually comes from size.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick calathes from Florida is coming out with no agent. My guess is he'll wind up staying probably not ready but he's an intriguing guy, good size, smart player just not overly quick. I remember at the McDonald's game they asked OJ Mayo which guy impressed you the most and he didn't say Rose or Bayless or someone like that he said Nick Calathes. Said he was so competitive they had to separate him and Mayo multiple times in practice.

Also the rumor is Jrue Holiday is informing Ben Howland today he's going to test the waters without an agent. I am pretty sure he'll be told to stay in school had a very poor shooting year at UCLA. But anything can happen, he's a fabulous passer, I'm not sure I've seen another guy at UCLA with his vision, but he can't make a shot to save his life right now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both are perfect candidates for the 2nd rounder we get from Golden State.

Again, are you sure that pick was not one of the of the Suns second round picks in this draft traded to the Spurs used in acquiring Dragic?

I sure wish I could find out some definitive information about the Suns second round draft picks in the upcoming draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both are perfect candidates for the 2nd rounder we get from Golden State.

I found a link at DraftExpress. As I thought, SA does indeed get the Golden State second round draft pick in this upcoming draft.

Spurs Credits: • San Antonio, via Phoenix, receives Golden State's 2009 second-round pick (Goran Dragic trade via Zarko Cabarkapa trade).

http://www.draftexpress.com/transactions.php

Thanks Kerr for giving up the GS second round pick in 2009 for Dragic. I'm sure another second round pick would have worked. Also thanks for not putting any protection on the Suns first round pick in 2010. The Suns GM needs to go.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Hansborough is ony my anti-wishlist also.

What is happening to him tonight against Griffin is what he will face on a regular basis in the NBA.

Plus he is already a senior, he is a guy I wouldn't mind in the 2nd round with our second 2nd round pick if anything.

Griffin is an Amare clone if he can develop a jumpshot.

I think Griffin is like Boozer meets Stoudemire. He has a better back-to-the-basket game than Amare does, and he's a very good rebounder at the college level. That may not translate when he gets to the NBA and has to rebound over bigger, more athletic players but i definitely see no reason he can't be a 20/12 player some day.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ricky Rubio and Brandon Jennings are the only players I would try hard to trade up for and to a lesser degree Demar DeRozan and Blake Griffin depending on measurements.

There are others I would trade up for but only for a very decent price.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As of today, I would like the Suns to draft another big in the first round (thinking Patrick Patterson) because the Suns are incredibly weak upfront at the 4/5. Otherwise I would go PG first. The future of Amare with the Suns worries me both in regard to injury and the near max contract he will demand. There appears to be a number of PGs in the draft although not many quality bigs. However, I definitely would not be upset if the Suns went PG first because that is a glaring hole as well. I sure wish the Suns could get another first round pick.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2009mock_draft

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
St. Mary's beats Davidson

Patty Mills: 23 Points 10 Ast
Stephen Curry: 26 points 9 Rebs 5 Ast

*Negatives for Mills- 1 for 10 from three point range
*Negative for Curry- Turnovers, he had six of them, including one where he threw the ball to the St. Mary's bench.:lol:
* Both of them didn't have a good night shooting the basketball.

Curry= Rex Chapman/Rip Hamilton.:?

i like me some patty mills. the olympic team raved about him.

cooler on curry. he's small (if he doesn't grow - and he's reported to be still growing - he won't be the 6'5 that rip enjoys) and not the greatest athlete (so not on sexy rex's level). he's not a pg by any stretch of the imagination.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I like Sam Young. Extremely athletic, has a killer instinct, really long, and his outside shot is improving. Although I like Blair, I think he will struggle a bit at the next level, anything 15 or better is too high for him IMO.

i like sam young too. reminds me of rudy gay.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
According to the ESPN Sports ticker Boeheim is telling Jonny flynn to put his name in the NBA draft....If Flynn enters...Kerr needs to work his magic and somehow draft this kid.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm getting a little bit worried about Thabeet, I've counted three times he has been pushed around the basket, fighting for position for a defensive rebound.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Griffin trumps Amare, IMO. He's got all of Amare's early career offensive skills AND he's got damned near PG ball handling skills. I may be exaggerating a bit, but you get my point. The guy is gonna be a baller. 25/12 player at some point....

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
You have to take into account that Griffin went to college for 2 years, Amare was pretty much a 27/10 players after 2 years in the NBA.

I also can't see your point about Griffin's ball handling, it's ok for a PF but certainly not that of a guard at all, he also has trouble shooting. One can't say for sure how his massive rebounding numbers from college will translate to the NBA. He is a weak defender.
Imo he is the next Amare if he can devellop a jumper, but he looks a bit shorter than Amare also imo.

About Thabeet, I think everyone has that concern.. Imo there are only 5 or so players in the entire draft with little risk and those are Griffin, Lawson, Rubio, DeRozan, Evans and maybe Jennings and Blair who I think are at least locks to be role players in the worst case. Everyone else has a chance to also be a total bust.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stefon Jackson had a good series in the CBI finals, I doubt that vaults him into the first round.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
really had a very enlightening game from a scouting perspective, illuminating very clearly what his strengths and weaknesses are as a prospect for the next level. He finished with 17 points, 6 rebounds and 2 blocks in 36 minutes, hitting 6-13 shots from the field.

Offensively, Thabeet managed to be far more effective than he’s been in any tournament game thus far, with the exception of the Chattanooga contest in the first round. A major target for UConn inside thanks to his far superior size, his 17 points came almost exclusively off layups right at the rim and free throws, except for a small stretch in the second half where he managed to convert two very nice jump-hook shots, one with either hand. He also showed good agility in transition on one possession, converting an and one opportunity. Other than that, Thabeet showed his very obvious limitations on this end, missing the rim completely on two of his attempts, and showing very little touch on many others, often from just a few feet away. He really seemed to be forcing the issue at times, heaving up a couple of bad-looking bricks.

The most evident thing to come out of this game was how much Thabeet dislikes contact around the basket. He was knocked to the floor a good 12-15 times by the much more physical (yet extremely undersized) Spartans, and looked extremely frustrated in turn. His extreme lack of balance has never looked more obvious, as he looked about as clumsy as he has since his freshman year with the amount of time he spent laying on the ground.

A huge key to this game for Michigan State was the way they were able crash the offensive glass (to the tune of 16 offensive rebounds) despite their lack of size and athleticism, and Thabeet was clearly a big factor in this. He was easily boxed out by the likes of Delvon Roe, Goran Suton and Raymar Morgan all night long, being constantly bumped out of position, and only coming up with 3 defensive rebounds in 36 minutes in turn. His inability to go outside his area and come away with loose balls really hurt his team tonight, and it really seemed like he lacked some focus here, even being hit in the face by a potential defensive rebound on one occasion.

Defensively, Thabeet’s shot-blocking ability was for the most part neutralized tonight, as Tom Izzo knew how to pull him just far away from the basket to make him a non-factor. He only came up with two blocks, and didn’t change anywhere near as many shots as he normally does thanks to his incredible size and length.

There seem to be enough NBA teams in love with Thabeet to not make this one game that much of an issue considering his overall resume. After all, these are all well-known and well-scouted problems that have been on display for the past few years, and the fact that he did manage to score 17 points is clearly a positive development. You can’t help but ignore how much he seems to struggle against good teams, though, and it’s pretty obvious that there is going to be a huge transition he’ll have to make to the size, physicality and athleticism of NBA big men before he’s able to be anywhere near as effective a pro as he was a college player. Whoever drafts him will obviously have to be very patient, despite how high he is projected to be picked.
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Blogging-through-the-Final-Four-Part-One--3164

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard