Official 2009 Draft Thread

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At 6'7 Blair dominated Thabeet(7'3) & Jeff Adrien (6'7) in the first game Pitt played UCONN. Blair will be a fine player, I hope he falls to the Suns.

His strength is why he dominated those two, but he reminds me of Tractor Traylor & Joey Dorsey, guys who dominate in college but struggle in the pros because they are going against stronger players like Shaq, Boozer an other tough post players. He won't be as dominating in the NBA.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I'll take a bruiser like Blair. It worked well for Barkley (6'5"), Rodman (6'8") and Ben Wallace (6'7"). Hell, Corliss Williamson had a solid career at 6'7" and there are plenty more out there to draw examples on.

The bottom line is that we have to start changing the types of players we bring in here. Enough with the finesse combo players. We need a tried and true formula for players. Let's get 1's who are 1's, 2's who are 2's, 3's who are 3's, 4's who are 4's and 5's who are 5's. We know what mish mash personnel gets us - the same BS we've had for 40+ years.

The Suns need to target either Hill or Thabeet in trades or take Blair if he is there if we don't trade in the draft.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Yeah, Tractor Traylor, Mark Bryant and the Big Dog guy from Utah (his name escapes me now) are his downside if we are searching for comparisons.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'll take a bruiser like Blair. It worked well for Barkley (6'5"), Rodman (6'8") and Ben Wallace (6'7"). Hell, Corliss Williamson had a solid career at 6'7" and there are plenty more out there to draw examples on.

The bottom line is that we have to start changing the types of players we bring in here. Enough with the finesse combo players. We need a tried and true formula for players. Let's get 1's who are 1's, 2's who are 2's, 3's who are 3's, 4's who are 4's and 5's who are 5's. We know what mish mash personnel gets us - the same BS we've had for 40+ years.

The Suns need to target either Hill or Thabeet in trades or take Blair if he is there if we don't trade in the draft.

Amen, bro, amen! I've been watching the Suns from day 1 - watching them get pushed around for the most part, except for short stretches when they had a Maurice Lucas or Charles. Even when they got a guy that looked rugged, it usually proved to be an optical illusion - Armon Gilliam, James Edwards, Danny Schayes, Joe Kleine, Tim Kempton, Rodney Rogers, Big Jake, Mark Bryant, Rick Robey - to name a few that come to mind. Goes to show what a long tradition the Suns have of making mistakes like Robin Lopez.

Another trait I'd put up there with strength is basketball IQ - the Suns have been almost as lacking in that as muscle. ('Red' Auerbach always said that the first thing he looked for in a player was basketball smarts.) With Nash, Hill and Jared Dudley we probably have as smart a team now as we've ever had. Unfortunately none of them are in the prime of their careers.

I'm not holding my breath expecting a shift in the Suns m.o. - our scouting department is a shambles and the guy responsible for fixing it is Steve Kerr, who is long on self-confidence but demonstrably short on acumen. I like his idea of increased emphasis on defense but without good execution the game plan doesn't matter a whole lot.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He won't, same old stories every year.

Even if Harden drops, he will be a lock for the top 15-20 worst case anyway. He won't improve on that by staying in college for his junior season. Especially since the biggest knock on him is his athleticism which will not improve anyway.

The Suns probably could not pass up on Harden, so he would be a lock for the top 14.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want a bruiser like Boozer. :D

I wanted the Suns to go big twice the year they selected Amare. They could have had Amare and Boozer.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
The Suns would likely pick him at #14 or #15.

I'd think they take a lot of heat if they took Budinger over Harden lol but Harden being local talent and with Hill and/or Barnes possibly leaving in FA...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns would likely pick him at #14 or #15.

I'd think they take a lot of heat if they took Budinger over Harden lol but Harden being local talent and with Hill and/or Barnes possibly leaving in FA...

I do not want either one. The Suns need a 4/5 or a PG. I would also consider BPA but neither of these players fit the bill.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
These would be players I like and the highest position I would select them, meaning I wouldn't move up higher to get them, though I would also not mind acquiring additional picks somehow to get another one.

1. Ricky Rubio PG (#1)
2. Brandon Jennings PG (#3)
3. Demar DeRozan SG/SF (#4)
4. Hasheem Thabeet C (#4)
5. James Harden PG/SG (#14)
6. Greg Monroe PF/C (#14)
7. Jordan Hill PF/C (#14)
8. Stephen Curry PG (#14)
9. Eric Maynor PG (#20)
10. Al-Farouq Aminu SF/PF (#14) - haven't seen him so I can only go by what I read and heard which sounds like Shawn Marion, and he is barely 18 years old
11. Tyreke Evans PG/SF (#14)
12. Chase Buddinger SG/SF (#20)
13. Dejuan Blair PF (#20)

I don't really think Jordan Hill as a junior is a good enough prospect to trade up for like many others.
I think we will get a player I like at #14, at least I hope so... Because if you take away the players I like but wouldn't take at #14 (Buddinger, Maynor, Blair) thats still 10 players I like plus Griffin (who I somewhat like but think is the same player as Amare pretty much), and a few others of whom at least 2 will get into the top 14 (Willie Warren, Gerald Henderson maybe).
Though #12 would be the safer spot especially if Ricky Rubio doesn't declare for the draft.

In the 2nd round I like players like Patrick Patterson, Patrick Mills, Jodie Meeks, Dionte Christmas plus one that could possibly fall like maybe Maynor, Blair, Curry, Buddinger, Ty Lawson.

Last edited:

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I haven't seen many Prospects this year lol of all the years to take time off, Suns may have a Lottery Pick but I have some issues...

I liked watching Maynor but with his hands on ball... he looked a little disinterested in game w/o ball IMO but I only got to see 10-15 minutes of clocked time play. Would've liked to watch him play more, I REALLY liked Chalmers last year.

I do like Hill and Budinger but they are the two Prospects I get to see a lot (U of A fan). Harden at #14 would be nice but I'd hate to move up for him... where as Jordan Hill I could see myself moving up some spots.

Tyreke Evans looked good the few minutes I watched, switching channels, I never got to looking up his stats to get more of a feel for his game though. I also liked the Maryland PG, can't find his name at NBADraft.net though.

REALLY wanted to see the Wildcats play Wake Forest, with the talent on that Team =/ and I can't wait to see Louisville with Earl Clark and Terrence Williams though.

but the guy I like the most is probably Jordan Hill right now but not sure he'd fall to #14. If Frye can go in top-10... doesn't look good for Hill to drop that low.

lol yeah I haven't been feeling great.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Who's Hot
Blake Griffin, PF, So., Oklahoma
Griffin has been the most dominant college player in the country this season and he seems to have turned it up another notch in the tournament -- he was awesome in first- and second-round games versus Morgan State and Michigan.
He dropped 28 points and 13 rebounds on Morgan State and followed that up with a 33-point, 17-rebound performance against Michigan. Throwing in some serious highlight-reel dunks, he is shooting a sizzling 78 percent from the field in the tournament.
One NBA executive on the East Coast commented to me Monday that he believes Griffin is an even better prospect than Derrick Rose and Michael Beasley were last year. That's pretty good news for what otherwise looks like a weak draft.

You must be registered for see images attach

DeJuan Blair, PF, So., Pittsburgh
Sam Young, SF, Sr., Pittsburgh
Blair dominated East Tennessee State in the opening round, scoring 27 points and grabbing 16 rebounds. He is one of the best offensive rebounders in the country, and his emerging offensive game has NBA teams now looking at him as a potential lottery pick.
In the second round, Blair was often triple-teamed on the offensive end, opening things up for Young, who stepped up and delivered 32 points and eight boards against Oklahoma State.
I'm not sure if there's a better one-two punch in the tournament than Blair and Young. And if they can carry Pittsburgh to an NCAA title, their draft stocks should improve.

Cole Aldrich, C, So., Kansas
In a draft bereft of big men, Aldrich needed a breakout performance to move his stock firmly into the lottery -- possibly into the top 10. So far, Aldrich has delivered in a big way. He had 23 points and 13 boards against North Dakota State, and then came up huge versus Dayton, scoring 13 points, grabbing a whopping 20 boards and blocking a career-high 10 shots. It was only the sixth triple-double in NCAA tournament history.
Aldrich has been solid all season, but lately he has shown signs of being a dominant big man -- there isn't another center in the country putting up better numbers right now. He is not an ideal athlete and still needs to improve on the offensive end, but a team looking for a solid big man who can contribute on both ends of the floor may be safer with Aldrich than UConn's Hasheem Thabeet.

Evan Turner, SG, So., Ohio State
Turner's team may have been ousted in the first round, but it wasn't his fault. He had a spectacular game for the Buckeyes, scoring 28 points, grabbing 9 boards and dishing out 8 assists. The performance confirmed the opinion of a number of trusted scouts who feel Turner is the most underrated player in the draft.
"He's so solid in so many areas of the game," one veteran scout said. "He needs to improve his perimeter shot, but the rest of the package is there."
Turner is currently projected to go somewhere between the late lottery and the middle of the first round. However, after the Buckeyes lost, he said he's returning to Ohio State for his junior season. But we'll see if that holds true. In the past, players often say similar things when their team is ousted from the tournament, only to reverse course after exploring their draft options more fully.

DeMar DeRozan , G/F, Fr., USC
DeRozan struggled for much of the season, but he really started coming on in March at a critical time for USC. Averaging 19 ppg in March, he looked like a legit lottery pick during the Pac-10 tournament and the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament.
DeRozan had 18 points and nine rebounds versus Boston College on Friday and 18 points and five boards versus Michigan State on Sunday. He has become much more aggressive on the offensive end and is starting to regain confidence in his jump shot.
He still needs to work on his jumper, but when you factor in his elite athleticism, NBA body and unselfishness, he projects as a lottery pick, even after a subpar season. Another year at USC would be ideal but, if he declares, don't be shocked if he lands in the top 10 in June.

Eric Maynor, PG, Sr., VCU
Maynor is another guy who came up big in a losing effort. His play against one of the best perimeter defenders in the country, UCLA's Darren Collison, showed that he can play on a bigger stage. He was one 17-footer away from leading VCU to a big first-round upset.
It will be interesting to see what happens to Maynor's stock now. A number of NBA executives are very high on him and the UCLA game confirmed their opinions. With strong workouts, he could work his way into the lottery.

Terrence Williams, G/F, Sr., Louisville
Williams has been one of the biggest enigmas in college hoops. He has all the physical tools to be a lottery pick, but his game has rarely matched his talent. Poor shooting percentages, high turnover rates and some off-putting on-the-court behavior have given many scouts pause. But his play in the tournament so far has been hard to ignore.
He was solid in the opening round versus Morehead State, putting up 13 points, nine boards and three assists. And he was spectacular versus Siena, tallying 24 points, 13 boards and four assists.
His athleticism, rebounding and passing ability make him a very attractive draft prospect. But he'll have to continue to dominate in the tournament to change the feeling that many NBA executives have about his seriousness to the game.

Who's Not

James Harden, SG, So., Arizona State
Harden has been far and away the biggest disappointment in the tournament. Known as one of the best and most reliable scorers in college basketball, he delivered two huge duds for ASU. He scored just nine points on 1-for-8 shooting versus Temple and followed that up with 10 points on 2-for-10 shooting against Syracuse. It's too early to tell how this will affect Harden's stock, but we'll be watching closely.
He was also inconsistent in Pac-10 play this season and some scouts are concerned that he lacks the explosive athleticism to create his own shot in the pros. Harden has usually overcome his physical limitations with craftiness, but it seems like more defenses are figuring out how to stop him.

Jeff Teague, PG, So., Wake Forest
Teague has been in a pretty big shooting slump over the past month -- his 3-point shot hasn't been falling. He has also been forcing the ball more and more and his seven turnovers versus Cleveland State really hurt Wake in the opening round of the tournament. It was clear from watching the game that Teague still needs a lot of work before he's ready for the NBA.
His coach is imploring him to come back for his junior year to work on his ballhandling and playmaking abilities. He'll get no argument from NBA executives.
Teague's stock has cooled over the past few weeks and everyone I've spoken with thinks he really needs another year at school. The same could also be said about Al-Farouq Aminu and James Johnson -- though both are in better shape with their draft stocks at the moment.

Hasheem Thabeet, C, Jr., UConn
Once again, Thabeet is proving that just because you're 7-foot-3 and taller than anyone else in college basketball doesn't mean you'll be making a huge impact on the floor. UConn largely ignored him on offense during its rout of Texas A&M on Saturday.
Against Texas A&M's strong front line, Thabeet took two shots in the game, grabbed six boards and watched Jeff Adrien do all the work down low. That's not the type of performance you really want to see in the tournament from a possible top-10 pick.
Luke Nevill, C, Sr., Utah
I get five to 10 e-mails a week from Utes fans screaming for me to put Nevill in the Top 100. He is big and had a strong senior season. And on the surface, he looks like he could be a serviceable big man in the pros. But watching what Arizona did to him in the first round of the tournament puts his draft potential into clear perspective.
Nevill had a chance to prove his detractors wrong by dominating Arizona's athletic front line. Instead, he floundered, lacking the quickness or explosiveness to compete. I think Europe or the Australian league is a more likely long-term destination
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=TourneyWatch-090323

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
St. Mary's beats Davidson

Patty Mills: 23 Points 10 Ast
Stephen Curry: 26 points 9 Rebs 5 Ast

*Negatives for Mills- 1 for 10 from three point range
*Negative for Curry- Turnovers, he had six of them, including one where he threw the ball to the St. Mary's bench.:lol:
* Both of them didn't have a good night shooting the basketball.

Curry= Rex Chapman/Rip Hamilton.:?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Evans had a great finish to his college career yesterday.

Blair was horrible offensively which maybe what he will face against bigger NBA players a lot but pulled down a lot of rebounds. He will find his niche but he is destined to be just a role player imo.

Thabeet had a good game too.

Gerald Henderson will be the next Duke bust, highly touted highschool player.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
B.J. Mullens is an incredible athlete for being 7'. I would love to get him at 14. I am baffled as to why he contributed so little at Ohio State this year and that concerns me. But he has the ability to be an amazing center in the NBA.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen him play in any other games, but in just this game against a decent UCLA backcourt, he controlled the game and did what he wanted. We'd be talking about him more if he hit the game winner last night.

I'd imagine is draft status will improve based on this game, but maybe not so much we could not snag him. He looks as if he could come in and play now. If we draft him, I hope we keep him. He's going to be a solid NBA player.

Maynor is good but he got half his points in that game when Collison got his 4th foul and went to the bench. He lit up Jrue Holiday, who put up 6 points and an assist on Maynor in about 4 minutes while DC was out.

Collison was a great defender as a soph, lost a step wtih the knee injury, and can be overpowered, but he really locked up maynor when he was in there.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like what I'm seeing from Taj Gibson from USC. The guy is swatting or altering alot of MSU's shots, he is very bouncy and has a nice mid-range game. NBA Draft Net compares him to Vin Baker. I hope we have a shot at him in the second round to go along with Nick Calathes whom I hope is available when we pick at #14.

The problem with Taj is he'll be 24 by the draft and he seems to be one of those guys that can't get stronger. Since he arrived at USC they've been saying wait until we get him in the weight room, but he's still skinny. He's a terrific college player but he can't hold his position in the NBA without getting stronger.

Long arms, real good defender.

I still say he's Tyrone Hill, I think Hill retired, got bored, changed his name to Taj Gibson and re-entered college/

:D

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I like what I saw of Samardo Samuels. If the 'Ville goes any deeper, he'll declare this year. He's a top 8 talent this year, so I'd do something to get him here. He looks legit.

I'd go like this:

1) Thabeet
2) Samuels
3) Blair
4) Hill
5) Hansborough

If we come out of the draft with one of those guys, I'd say we are at least trying to get on the right track.

Last edited:

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Evans had a great finish to his college career yesterday.

Blair was horrible offensively which maybe what he will face against bigger NBA players a lot but pulled down a lot of rebounds. He will find his niche but he is destined to be just a role player imo.

Thabeet had a good game too.

Gerald Henderson will be the next Duke bust, highly touted highschool player.

I disagree. I think he'll be a good scorer for someone. He'd be perfect in Golden state, IMO. I see him becoming a J.R smith type of player (not implying he'll be an idiot off the court). I think Singler has a lot more bust potential than does Henderson.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
I like what I saw of Samardo Samuels. If the 'Ville goes any deeper, he'll declare this year. He's a top 8 talent this year, so I'd do something to get him here. He looks legit.

I'd go like this:

1) Thabeet
2) Samuels
3) Blair
4) Hill
5) Hansborough

If we come out of the draft with one of those guys, I'd say we are at least trying to get on the right track.

Say no to Hansbrough. Please, anyone but him.

You're giving Samuels an awful lot of credit. Draftexpress has him listed 69th best in this years draft for a reason.

Last edited:

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
There's just something I see in instincts, athleticism and talent in that kid. He's aggressive and young and has had great coaching. Honestly, I don't see why he wouldn't come out on THIS team with THIS coach and put up Amare's rookie numbers.