Official 2009 Draft Thread

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Maynor of VCU is playing great right now. Might be a good PG

I was hoping to see the game to watch Maynor, and missed it. How did he play, specifically, was he a play maker, or just a guy running the offense? I like his listed size and the fact that nbadraft.net thinks he can play defense. I hate small PGs, and those who can't slow another PG are no good in the West for the next decade.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I was hoping to see the game to watch Maynor, and missed it. How did he play, specifically, was he a play maker, or just a guy running the offense? I like his listed size and the fact that nbadraft.net thinks he can play defense. I hate small PGs, and those who can't slow another PG are no good in the West for the next decade.

I watched the whole game and he really controlled the offense on his side very well. He made very smart decisions with the ball, and seemed to know when to shoot and when to pass. Every time he got the ball he went down court FAST. He has a decent jump shot and a great floater (Almost Tony Parker Like)

I haven't seen him play in any other games, but in just this game against a decent UCLA backcourt, he controlled the game and did what he wanted. We'd be talking about him more if he hit the game winner last night.

I'd imagine is draft status will improve based on this game, but maybe not so much we could not snag him. He looks as if he could come in and play now. If we draft him, I hope we keep him. He's going to be a solid NBA player.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NBAdraft.net has junior, Jarvis Varnado from Mississippi State coming out in the 2010 draft, projected as a lottery pick. He is a tad thin listed at 6'9" 210 but the guy led the nation in blocks with 4.7 per game, more than Thabeet from UConn. 12.9 ppg and 8.8 rpg isn't to shabby either. I wonder if he has any thoughts of coming out this year.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Well he is already a junior and has a 6'9 210 frame, I would never pick him. Sounds a bit like Sean Williams.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harden might actually fall to us if he keeps playing like what he has lately..

I'm not that impressed with Harden. He seems to lack that top notch athleticism and quickness needed at SG in the pros.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That is true, but that also was true for Brandon Roy I would say.

but roy is 6'6. i'm willing to bet that harden measures in at 6'4 or even 6'3. he doesn't have size and his athleticism is underwhelming. his bball IQ is quite high and he sees the court well. he's a homeless man's wade imo.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not that impressed with Harden. He seems to lack that top notch athleticism and quickness needed at SG in the pros.

It is only one game but Temple SG Christmas showed me more than Harden. Harden is not as quick as I thought. Christmas will be a nice pick for some team early in the second round.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't even see Nick Calathes listed on NBADaftnet or DraftExpress mocks.

Those sites must think that he might be going back to school but with a good enough perfomance he may make the jump, rumor has it he is considering declaring for the draft. Also Ricky Rubio, is said to want to declare for the draft this year but with a multi-million dollar buyout in his contract with Barcelona he must either wait or use most of the money in his first contract to pay the buyout. Rubio if he enters is considered a Top 5 pick.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I don't see Ben Woodside listed anywhere... I would take him in the second round if available. That kid can score!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nick-Calathes-1237/

They have Calathes as the #16 pick in 2010 but say he is likely declaring in 2009.

What sucks is that I had picked DeRozan as "my guy" in the draft two month ago already and now he is playing himself in the top 7 or so and probably ahead of Harden.

At the same time Harden is maybe falling out of the top 10.

Jordan Hill and Dejuan Blair are cementing their spots in the top 10 along with Thabeet, Griffin, Blair and DeRozan.

Heck nbadraft.net even has Buddinger at #8 now, who I would like as a future role player at #20 or so.

On the other hand maybe we get lucky and Brandon Jennings drops, there you have our PG of the future.

Last edited:

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I think one must be cautious regarding a player's performance in the tournament. A player that is good-to-average, and then has a great tournament run should be treated as a good-to-average player. A player that has a great performance track during the year(s), and fails to play to the same level for one or two games in the tournament shouldn't be docked too much in the eyes of the lottery. The Suns should have learned their lesson in this with Tim Perry.

Blair and Hill were already top 10 picks before the tournament, I don't believe they are 'playing' their way to the top. DeRozan began to develop into the player everyone thought he could have been starting several weeks ago... so no

Based on the last three years, Budinger hasn't been a top 10 talent. However, since he got his face stepped on, he plays much harder and now I would strongly consider taking him at #14 or so...

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Tyreke Evans having a great game, I think I could very well live with him as our pick.

He is just a freshman yet one of the best players in college basketball, he really needs to work on turnovers however.

He is probably a tweener guard, but that is a really good thing if he indeed measures in at 6'6.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Harden with another dud, I am predicting he will be on the board when we pick and it would be hard to pass.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harden with another dud, I am predicting he will be on the board when we pick and it would be hard to pass.

Wow, that's pretty ballsy. He may slip a couple spots, but he has still had two outstanding years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is the second game I've watched Harden and I just do not get why he is so highly rated. Yes, he is cerebral and sort of plays as a point forward, but he lacks the ability to create his own shot and appears slow. He seems to be more an opportunistic scorer. I just can't believe he does not have more athleticism and quickness. I just do not see him being able to play this type game as a SG on the NBA level. If I were the Suns I would definitely pass on him in the first round.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like what I'm seeing from Taj Gibson from USC. The guy is swatting or altering alot of MSU's shots, he is very bouncy and has a nice mid-range game. NBA Draft Net compares him to Vin Baker. I hope we have a shot at him in the second round to go along with Nick Calathes whom I hope is available when we pick at #14.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Another double-double by Blair....:bigyawn::D. This guy is just so strong around the basket.

But he is listed at 6'7 which will make him drop most likely unless he measures 6'9 in shoes at least.

Calathes I hope we wouldn't go for him at #14, too high, nbadraft.net has him at #28 in 2010.

Way too little athleticism for my taste and lacking defense.

I am hoping that DeRozan or Jennings will be there at #14, or Harden, Monroe or Evans.

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But he is listed at 6'7 which will make him drop most likely unless he measures 6'9 in shoes at least.

Calathes I hope we wouldn't go for him at #14, too high, nbadraft.net has him at #28 in 2010.

Way too little athleticism for my taste and lacking defense
At 6'7 Blair dominated Thabeet(7'3) & Jeff Adrien (6'7) in the first game Pitt played UCONN. Blair will be a fine player, I hope he falls to the Suns.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
SLAM DUNKS
Blake Griffin, Oklahoma, sophomore: Consensus No. 1 pick averages 22 points on 63% shooting with 14 boards a game. "Even if he bombs in the tournament, he'll still go No. 1," said one scout. "He's that much better than anybody else." Griffin is being compared to Utah's Carlos Boozer, but with more athleticism. Only red flag: Previous problems with both knees, including surgery on right knee. Listed at 6-10.
James Harden, Arizona State, sophomore: The Pac-10's player of the year and scoring leader, at 20.8 ppg, is seen by some as the best guard in the draft. "He's an old-school kind of player who reminds me a little of Baron Davis," one scout said. "He's bigger, very crafty, with a lot of skills." Not a big-time athlete, which could hurt his stock. Lefthanded. Listed at 6-5.
ON LOTTERY BUBBLE
Gerald Henderson, Duke, junior: He's a shooting guard with range who has averaged 16.6 points and 5.0 rebounds. But since when do Duke stars turn into NBA stars? Listed at 6-4.
DeMar DeRozan, USC, freshman: Before the season, he was considered a top-five pick. But he's averaging only 12.9 ppg. Will be one of the top athletes in the draft, but needs lots of work. Listed at 6-7.
Eric Maynor, Virginia Commonwealth, senior: He beat Duke with game-winning shot in the 2007 tournament and has been the Colonial Athletic Association player of the year twice. Averages 22 ppg on 47% shooting and can break down defenses. "You're not hearing a lot about this kid, but he's going to rise by the time the draft gets here," predicted one scout. Listed at 6-3.
Darren Collison, UCLA, senior: Yep, another point guard. He's a tremendous defender who can get out and run, but there are concerns about his size. He's listed at 6-0, but pros expect he'll measure shorter.
BEST OF THE REST
Ty Lawson, North Carolina, junior: The ACC Player of the Year averages 16 points, on 54% shooting, and seven assists in only 29 minutes per game. Suffering from toe injury. "He likes to take the big shots and he can get to the basket," said one scout. But can he run a pro offense? Listed at 5-11.
Al-Farouq Aminu, Wake Forest, freshman: Skilled player who is averaging 13 ppg on 53%, but with no three-point range. Compared to the 76ers' Thaddeus Young. Listed at 6-9.
Jeff Teague, Wake Forest, sophomore: Fourth in scoring in ACC at 19.4 ppg on 49% shooting. Good size for a point guard. Listed at 6-2.
Earl Clark, Louisville, junior: Sometimes it looks like he's playing in slow-motion, but no one denies he's got the talent to play in the NBA. Averages 13.6 points on 44% (down from 48% last season) and 8.8 rebounds. Listed at 6-9.
Kyle Singler, Duke, sophomore: Averages 16.5 on 45% and 37% on three's. "If he comes out, he could be a top-15 pick," said one scout. "He can make open shots and he has a good feel. Plus, he's got a mid-range game." Listed at 6-8.
DeJuan Blair, Pitt, sophomore: He's an undersized power forward who could find it tough on the next level. "He reminds me of Reggie Evans, but he's got more skills," said one scout, invoking Philly's forward. Averaging 15.6 ppg and 12.4 rebounds. Listed at 6-7.
FRINGE FIRST-ROUNDERS
Chase Budinger, Arizona, junior: Good shooter and big-time athlete, but his lack of passion worries some scouts. Listed at 6-7.
Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina, senior: Great college player, but might not be much better in the NBA than Minnesota's Mark Madsen. "He's going to have trouble getting his shot in our league," one scout said. "He plays below the rim and that will be a big problem." Listed at 6-9.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...for_nba_prospects_blake_griffin__james_h.html

Last edited: