Official 2009 Draft Thread

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My dream draft scenarios:

1. Amar'e is healthy by the draft and we ship him to Sacramento for Jason Thompson, filler, and their first (assuming it's not the #1 overall pick). We draft Hasheem Thabeet with the Sac pick and Ty Lawson with our pick. Thabeet would bring a defensive inside presence while Lawson would help sure up our horrific perimeter defense. If Shaq is not traded then he can stick around and mentor Thabeet for a year. I doubt Hill will return, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if we don't pick up Nash's option. I love Nash, but keeping him is just holding onto a dead era. We'll probably have to hold onto Richardson and Barnes for scoring and to round out our roster.

Our lineup going forward would be:

Lawson, Dragic
Richardson, Barbs
Dudley, Barnes
Thompson, Amundson
Thabeet, Lopez

2. Amar'e is healthy so we ship him to Golden State for Biedrins, Anthony Randolph, and their first. That would give us the 7th and 14th picks. Our needs will be SF and PG. Again, I like Lawson at 14 if he's there. I'm not sure about a SF at #7, maybe Earl Clark or Al-Farouq Aminu.

Lawson, Dragic
Richardson, Barbs
#7, Dudley
Randolph, Amundson
Biedrins, Lopez

These are dream scenarios so I realize that I am probably overestimating Amar'e's value coming off a serious eye injury, but dreams are free.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the other way around really...

The only "true" PGs are Jennings and Lawson (Rubio if he comes out). On the other hand you have Thabeet, Griffin, Hill, Monroe, Patterson, Blair, Mullen etc.

At #14 I will gladly take DeRozan if Jennings or Monroe doesn't drop. The rest of the guys are like a definately top 5 picks as it looks now. I'd take Buddinger between 20 and 25 I guess.

Though I definately want to get at least another pick or two to rebuild. DeRozan at #14 and Jennings at #~10 would give us a backcourt duo of extremely talented and athletic 19 year olds to build on.

Like I said, I was trying to keep my draft picks realistic where the Suns might be drafting around #14. I see a big man or a PG as the Suns major need. Right now it looks like big men will be scarce where the Suns are drafting and in the draft in general except for those chosen early. However, the way the Suns are playing who knows.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read that Patterson is staying in school
http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/41142807.html
and from what I've seen - Collison is nothing more than a career back up in the NBA.

Too bad Patterson will not be available. This draft is really weak as it concerns big men. I like Collison based on his speed, quickness, long arms and the reputation of playing good defense. It also seems he has a nice shot. I watched the UCLA game last night and he didn't disappoint with 15 points and 5 assists.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/darren-collison

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Currently at the #14 pick, the suns are 34-31. Chicago is 29-36 and NJ is 28-36. Both teams are battling Milwaukee for the #8 seed in the East (so they are trying to win games). We can move up two spots in the draft to #12 and improve our slim chance to move up in the top 3. Shaq's hip and Nash's back need to 'flare-up' for the rest of the season so we can tank and let the young guys get some experience.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently at the #14 pick, the suns are 34-31. Chicago is 29-36 and NJ is 28-36. Both teams are battling Milwaukee for the #8 seed in the East (so they are trying to win games). We can move up two spots in the draft to #12 and improve our slim chance to move up in the top 3. Shaq's hip and Nash's back need to 'flare-up' for the rest of the season so we can tank and let the young guys get some experience.
both should fall down on the ground whilst grabbing their leg ala Italian soccer players. Two season ending injuries. Check.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaq's hip and Nash's back need to 'flare-up' for the rest of the season so we can tank and let the young guys get some experience.

Also Hill has been having some foot problems and needs to rest it. :D

Actually I do think Hill is getting worn down like last season.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Nash to New York for their pick, currenty #9, and Eddy Curry who we would buy-out.

Shaq and Barbosa to the Clippers for Davis' horrid contract, Kaman's long contract, Mardy Collins and their pick.

Amare to Washington for Jamison, McGuire, Young and their pick.

That would give us two top 5 picks, one #8-12 and our own #12-#14.

Oh or put almost all of this in 1 deal and move Richardson somewhere, in this insane 4-way.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bojahy
also getting Minnesotas pick, Chicagos pick, Clippers pick and sending New Yorks pick we got for Nash to Minnesota.

Oh and waive the scrub fillers or buyout Tim Thomas, we save a TON of cash.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope the Suns get some talent with the trades of Amare, Shaq and Nash.

Thompson & Nocioni would give us a couple of young players on the rise. I would rather get Nocioni than a draft pick due to him being a talented yet cheap F that we know can play.

Shaq to CLE for JJ Hickson, Wallace and their 1st rounder (late 20's can still net us a good player)

Nash to POR for Bayless, Outlaw and a 1st rounder (mid 20's can get us another talented player)

Add either Lawson or Curry and our rebuilding starts off well.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
DeRozan was outstanding against UCLA last night.

I am really starting to pencil him in for us with our own pick.

We can't afford to draft average talents because of positional need this year. We are rebuilding, we need everything, we need to get the best talents we can get.

Also Cleveland and Portlands pick are worthless, well not worthless but you could buy picks in that range without giving up players and the draft doesnt seem to be very deep in the later stages of the first round.

My Ideas:
Trade Nash to New York or Toronto for their pick and draft Brandon Jennings.
Trade Amare for a top3 pick and get for example Thabeet.
Trade Shaq and Barbosa for Baron Davis, Chris Kaman, Collins and the Clips pick to get Monroe/Hill/Griffin.
Trade Richardson, Kaman, Dudley and our 3 2nd rounders to Minnesota for Miller, Cardinal, Madsen and their pick.
Draft DeRozan with our own pick.
Trade whatever for a pick to get Buddinger, perferably something that came back for Amare or Mike Miller.

Last edited:

sunsjunkie

Reaction score
theres no team in the league that will give a a top 3 pick for amare unless its amare packaged with a late lottery

hes damaged goods

id love to start over with thabeet, i really would, but its not gonna happen like that

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious where most people get their draft information about players. I use NBA Draft net the most and I am seldom let down when it comes to draft day. I got to thinking about this when Slinslin and I had divergent views where the talent was in the draft. I'm wondering if others use DraftExpress as their primary source or some other site?

Here is the NBA Draft net mock.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2009mock_draft

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I use both sites to get an idea of where they think players are going , but I am not really considering their scouting reports. I have my own idea of what players I like and which I don't.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Tyreke Evans had a good game today, most times I check his stats after a game he has a horrendous amount of turnovers, not today.

USC vs ASU later, DeRozan vs Harden should be a good one.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
DeRozan playing very very good so far, at this rate he will play himself in the top 7 which would be unfortunate..

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I should mention on this thread the Suns owe the Spurs a second round draft pick in this year's draft. I don't know which one but I'm thinking it was the GS second round pick. NBADraft.net apparently shows the Suns having three second round picks in this year's draft: the Suns own, Orlando and Golden State. So the Suns may not have three second round picks in this year's draft.

See link to the Suns official site for an article written by Jerry Brown of the East Valley Tribune dated June 28, 2008.

Even that — plus Oregon swingman Malik Hairston, a second-round pick next year and the $500,000 cash it cost for the Suns to coax the Spurs to take Dragic with the 45th pick in Thursday’s draft — may not be enough to get the Suns point guard heir apparent to America this year.

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/tribune_dragic_080628.html

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Harden looks somewhat slow...really looks like an average athlete, not sure how that will translate into the NBA.
Reminds me of Mayo with less athleticism.

Haren

Veteran
Reaction score
Actually, the Suns still do have three second round picks this year. They have Charlotte's, Orlando's, and their own.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Previously I had Stephon Curry as my pick for the Suns at #14 but now I am hoping for Nick Calathes out of FLA, this guy has the size and skill to take over for Nash next year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Previously I had Stephon Curry as my pick for the Suns at #14 but now I am hoping for Nick Calathes out of FLA, this guy has the size and skill to take over for Nash next year.

I don't even see Nick Calathes listed on NBADaftnet or DraftExpress mocks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose