Not Overreacting

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I was going to tack this on the existing thread, but it’s headed in the other direction. I’m confused by Sunday’s reactions. The team with the weakest roster in the NFL plays the best team in the NFL and people are concerned the weak team lost. What was the reasonable expectation?

Did Murray play great? No. Did he look pressed? Yes. Did he miss several open receivers? No. Did he consistently hit McBride? Yes. The first pick 6 was thrown late over the middle. That’s a big error and Murray must show better self control. The second interception was a desperation throw to a well covered receiver in hopes of a miracle. He didn’t get one. He could have just turned the ball over on downs, but he took an aggressive, huge gamble. The odds of success were stacked against Murray.

I’m not sure any QB could have done much better with the weapons Murray has been given. He showed toughness playing through injury. He played hard right down to the game’s end. He ran effectively. I wrote before the game it wasn’t winnable. Forget that any given Sunday stuff. The roster talent gap is too great. They haven’t lost the second most games in the league by accident. This is no pity party as was alleged! This was the plan, as I’ve been saying all year. The Cards intentionally did not make a big effort to strengthen the 2024 roster. If by this time next year the Cards are losing at an alarming rate, that’s when to start pointing fingers.

The Cards made huge mistakes on defense, but we knew some of the CBs were not NFL ready. The DL finished the game exhausted, but we knew the rotation was not deep enough. The pass rush lacked creativity. Early on in the season, some blitzes and stunts were effective. Now those strategies are known and anticipated. Again, the talent just isn’t strong enough. There may be some complimentary pieces, but there’s no major threat to other teams.

The Cards are going to have to make a critical decision this offseason. Is this a one year or two year rebuild? Do they maximize this year’s draft haul or do they make trades that include receiving 2025 picks? Speaking of miracles, it would take one to fill this many holes in one offseason. Still, the 2024 draft was decent. If things fall right, the 2025 draft acquisitions could be outstanding. This year has shown the NFL is becoming more competitive. Super teams are hard to find. I think it’s possible to be playoff competitive next season. However, with a ton of new players, learning to play as a team may not happen immediately. I’m expecting a much better team next year. The Cards need impact players. This is a good draft pool. The Cards have free agent money. Despite being 76, I’m willing to suggest patience. Before the games were played I predicted 3 wins. That should at least prove close to the end result. This is who they were.

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score
Well said, Harry! Thank you :)

Side note: the weirdest thing about living in the UK is bumping into someone wearing NFL team gear, trying to talk to them about it - only to find out they just liked the color.

One woman told me she wore the Patriots hat because her daughter had sent it to her for her birthday. And her daughter was somewhat depressed. I just nodded, "Of course she is."

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was going to tack this on the existing thread, but it’s headed in the other direction. I’m confused by Sunday’s reactions. The team with the weakest roster in the NFL plays the best team in the NFL and people are concerned the weak team lost. What was the reasonable expectation?

Did Murray play great? No. Did he look pressed? Yes. Did he miss several open receivers? No. Did he consistently hit McBride? Yes. The first pick 6 was thrown late over the middle. That’s a big error and Murray must show better self control. The second interception was a desperation throw to a well covered receiver in hopes of a miracle. He didn’t get one. He could have just turned the ball over on downs, but he took an aggressive, huge gamble. The odds of success were stacked against Murray.

I’m not sure any QB could have done much better with the weapons Murray has been given. He showed toughness playing through injury. He played hard right down to the game’s end. He ran effectively. I wrote before the game it wasn’t winnable. Forget that any given Sunday stuff. The roster talent gap is too great. They haven’t lost the second most games in the league by accident. This is no pity party as was alleged! This was the plan, as I’ve been saying all year. The Cards intentionally did not make a big effort to strengthen the 2024 roster. If by this time next year the Cards are losing at an alarming rate, that’s when to start pointing fingers.

The Cards made huge mistakes on defense, but we knew some of the CBs were not NFL ready. The DL finished the game exhausted, but we knew the rotation was not deep enough. The pass rush lacked creativity. Early on in the season, some blitzes and stunts were effective. Now those strategies are known and anticipated. Again, the talent just isn’t strong enough. There may be some complimentary pieces, but there’s no major threat to other teams.

The Cards are going to have to make a critical decision this offseason. Is this a one year or two year rebuild? Do they maximize this year’s draft haul or do they make trades that include receiving 2025 picks? Speaking of miracles, it would take one to fill this many holes in one offseason. Still, the 2024 draft was decent. If things fall right, the 2025 draft acquisitions could be outstanding. This year has shown the NFL is becoming more competitive. Super teams are hard to find. I think it’s possible to be playoff competitive next season. However, with a ton of new players, learning to play as a team may not happen immediately. I’m expecting a much better team next year. The Cards need impact players. This is a good draft pool. The Cards have free agent money. Despite being 76, I’m willing to suggest patience. Before the games were played I predicted 3 wins. That should at least prove close to the end result. This is who they were.
You have had many great posts Harry. I think this one may be your best! This is 1000% dead on accurate. At least in my eyes. I’ve watched this team bandaid holes for 60 years. I too am fine with the approach they’re taking. It’s decades past due.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What was the reasonable expectation?
Cover the 12.5 points at home?

Christian McCaffery has 13 TDs against every other team in the NFL and seven against us.

Not having multiple plays where Brock Purdy was throwing to guys who were essentially alone on the screen?

If the theme is we should strive for general competence, this performance fell into the 2022 Houston Texans category.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying but we can look for improvement without expecting a win vs the Niners….I mean how many times did we put the ball on the ground? A passing game that didn’t include wide receivers other than some short or behind the line passes. The D leaving top players on the Niners totally uncovered. These are mental mistakes that shouldn’t be happening over and over at this point in the season. I thought the OL was ok and McBride continues to develop. Prater is a beast. KM still a big question mark in my opinion.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Baloney. No one expected to win. Absolving Kyler of the Pick 6 is laughable as it perfectly encapsulates why he is not the answer at QB. Open receiver, can be hit in stride if the QB is in rhythm in the offense, and not only is the QB NOT in sync, but he stupidly throws the ball anyway. Kyler's not the guy, but we're probably stuck with him next year.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s any chance we can get this roster ready by next year. Even removing Kyler from the conversation I mean the defense alone needs at least 6-8 new starters plus a whole new crop of receivers.

We are in a tough spot here.
Not at all. IMO, we're moving in the right direction. Think Texans.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s any chance we can get this roster ready by next year. Even removing Kyler from the conversation I mean the defense alone needs at least 6-8 new starters plus a whole new crop of receivers.

What does "Ready" mean in this context? Minnesota is a current NFC Wild Card team at 7-7 with Kirk Cousins only starting eight games. Can this team be 7-10 next year? One would hope!

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I'm a Kyler guy but I'm freakin worried man - homie talked about not having a preseason - well he just played 4 straight games and he's still looking pre-preseason

It's not the playing under center - it's isn't the choosing not to run - it's his decision making - it's his timing and it's his accuracy

Some may consider my words an overreaction but again - I don't want to use a early pick on a QB in this draft - I want the guy we paid handsomely to show improvement

And yeah - we all knew our secondary would suck but this is still supposed to be a Gannon defense - so why are there receivers alone in their own zip codes singing "Allll Byyyy Myyyy Seeeeellllllllfffff!!" as they cross the goal line?

Seriously tho - how can the whiners get that damn open yet our receivers get locked down like down like that - seriously locked down - Hollywood might as well of had one of those parole style ankle bracelets on because frisco knew where he was at all times

The losing doesn't kill me - been doing it all year and I'm still here - Cardinal fans in general - we don't even ask for anesthesia or alcohol to help with the pain - and I predicted we'd only have 3 wins this season - my expectations haven't changed

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The losing doesn't kill me - been doing it all year and I'm still here - Cardinal fans in general - we don't even ask for anesthesia or alcohol to help with the pain - and I predicted we'd only have 3 wins this season - my expectations haven't changed
They keep serving up the Craparoni, and we keep gobbling it up!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
When the only pass catcher who can get open is a TE, you're not going to win a lot of games. Receivers yesterday couldn't get any separation...the Niners were content to let McBride get his and just blanketed every other receiver.
Ward doubled down on McBride on the pick 6 since it was clear as day that McBride was the only real weapon.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

This defense was playing really strong until some key injuries really put a damper on things. The Defense doesn't need 8 new starters to be effective. The defense realistically needs 3-4 new starters and some more depth. The Cardinals should be able to find 3-4 starters on defense in just FA alone this offseason. The Cards probably could land a at least one starter and a bunch of depth for the defense via the 2024 draft.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Monti is going to prove to be a decent\good GM. He may not ever be voted GM of the year like SK was (once or twice?). He seems to have certainly set us up to have good draft posturing for next year. We should get some decent players from the draft. He has also put us in a pretty decent position for FA money wise?

I expect next year to be a considerable improvement over this year, coaching included.

:newcards::thewave:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is clear that WR is the biggest need for the Cardinals on the Offensive side of the ball. This offseason the Cardinals need to sign or draft at least one Elite WR. They will need to add a #2 WR as well. I'm fine with Wilson and Rondale as #3 and #4 next season. I also expect a couple of young projects brought in at the position as well either via the draft of FA.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This defense was playing really strong until some key injuries really put a damper on things. The Defense doesn't need 8 new starters to be effective. The defense realistically needs 3-4 new starters and some more depth. The Cardinals should be able to find 3-4 starters on defense in just FA alone this offseason. The Cards probably could land a at least one starter and a bunch of depth for the defense via the 2024 draft.
LOL… the defense gave up 31 second half points to that woeful Danny Dimes Giants team in Week 2. REAL STRONG.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well said, Harry! Thank you :)

Side note: the weirdest thing about living in the UK is bumping into someone wearing NFL team gear, trying to talk to them about it - only to find out they just liked the color.

One woman told me she wore the Patriots hat because her daughter had sent it to her for her birthday. And her daughter was somewhat depressed. I just nodded, "Of course she is."

Actually, they liked the 'colour,' Brighteyes. ;) :)

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Ward doubled down on McBride on the pick 6 since it was clear as day that McBride was the only real weapon.
as an aside: the play design was............ interesting. So odd that I wonder if a WR ran the wrong route

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
LOL… the defense gave up 31 second half points to that woeful Danny Dimes Giants team in Week 2. REAL STRONG.
Yeah... I'd love to find the specific games where our defense was super-strong outside a complete self-destruction by Dallas.