New Suns Who Dis

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching the game last night I just thought of that old Spurs team that drove me nuts as a Suns fan.

C - Ayton compared to old David Robinson
PF - Older KD versus Tim Duncan
SF - Okogie verus Bowen
SG - Booker versus Gifloppi
PG - Old CP3 versus Tony Parker

Any other teams the roster as constructed remind you of?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching the game last night I just thought of that old Spurs team that drove me nuts as a Suns fan.

C - Ayton compared to old David Robinson
PF - Older KD versus Tim Duncan
SF - Okogie verus Bowen
SG - Booker versus Gifloppi
PG - Old CP3 versus Tony Parker

Any other teams the roster as constructed remind you of?
Super version of the 2011 Mavericks.

C - Ayton is a rich man’s Erik Dampier
PF- KD is probably a little better than Dirk (maybe a lot, but Dirk was on an all-time heater in those playoffs)
SF - Okogie/Craig = Deshawn Stevenson
SG - this is obviously the biggest difference as Book towers over Terry
PG - Chris Paul = Jason Kidd

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

PF- KD is probably a little better than Dirk (maybe a lot, but Dirk was on an all-time heater in those playoffs)

Tyson Chandler was their center. Ayton is obviously better on offense but Chandler was a rock for them.

JJ Barea and Peja were there too. Barea was such a pest that that idiot center on the Lakers attempted to murder him in the closing minutes of their elimination.

That was a really well constructed team with only one real star.

I think the Suns that, woulda, coulda, shoulda, beat the Bucks were more like that Dallas team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyson Chandler was their center. Ayton is obviously better on offense but Chandler was a rock for them.
Oh yeah. Brain fart.

And really the Booker v. Terry of it all just demolishes my own comparison.
JJ Barea and Peja were there too. Barea was such a pest that that idiot center on the Lakers attempted to murder him in the closing minutes of their elimination.

I think the Suns that, woulda, coulda, shoulda, beat the Bucks were more like that Dallas team.
Not sure I see that as that Suns team still had two superstars with CP3 and Booker both playing at All-NBA levels that season and playoffs… until the dreaded 2-0 CP3 curse came a calling in the Finals.

Still think the 2020-2022 Suns were the softer version of those Billups/Rip/Prince/Sheed/Wallace Pistons teams that made back to back Finals.

Last edited:

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Dirk is the only other player I could think of that could get his jumpshot off as effortlessly as Durant. Dirk would have to be in the post though whereas Durant can do it from anywhere on the court. Face up, quick dribble, pull up, nothing the defender can do about it.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
73-19 Warriors

Ayton >> Bogut
Okogie <<< Draymond
Durant >>> Barnes
Book > Klay
Old CP3 << Steph

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
73-19 Warriors

Ayton >> Bogut
Okogie <<< Draymond
Durant >>> Barnes
Book > Klay
Old CP3 << Steph

Durant wasn't on that team, he lost to it, then joined it.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I often wonder what the 2011 Suns with Amare back would’ve done that year but we wouldn’t have been able to guard Dirk if they matched up. He was on a different planet that playoff run and all their role players were perfect.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I often wonder what the 2011 Suns with Amare back would’ve done that year but we wouldn’t have been able to guard Dirk if they matched up. He was on a different planet that playoff run and all their role players were perfect.

Whole lotta "what ifs" for us Suns fans.

Not matching that Knick deal made sense, our training staff very accurately predicted that Amare's knees had 2 years, max, left in them.

I just wished Sarver hadn't played GM and made those horrible Turkoglu, Childless and Warrick signings with the money we didn't spend on Amare. We fell into the abyss anyway.

What they really should've done was blow it up. Once they decided not to keep Amare there was no point in holding onto the rest of the team. Nash would have landed us a bonanza at the time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure I really see any. Except the teams that had two guards , two forwards, and a center.

In a playoff series, teams are going to focus on Chris Paul. They are going to put one guy on him full court and make it difficult for him to initiate the offense.

They are also going to go right at him on offense. I am curious about what our answer to that will be.

Hard to remember a championship team with such a limited pg.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose