Phoenix Suns @ San Antonio Spurs 1-9-2015

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. The Suns had a golden opportunity to finish and send a message, but couldn't get out of their own way.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They are definitely the least disciplined team in the league. :mad:

And yet anytime you question the coaching staff, the homers come out to attack.

Suns need an offensive system or an identity. We have neither. F**k man, so disappointing know that we could have had a coach like Mike Budenhozer instead. Hawks literally play perfect team basketball, no selfish guys.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
I was listening to the game on the radio.

Seems like the Spurs were playing zone forcing us to shoot so many 3's.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Archie Goodwin needs playing time he's literally the only Suns player who drives to the rim always instead of chucking one up.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We really need to quit with the technicals. So annoying, we have a bunch of whiney babies on this team. Shut your mouth & play the game, that's what your getting paid for.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Suns gave up 41 points in the 4th quarter. 41 points! In the 4th quarter!

The Spurs even beat us at our own game by going small. In the 4th quarter.

And their mosquitos beat our mosquitos. They beat us at our own game.

I feel bad for Alex Len. He had playing time in the 4th quarter for a change.

And he was surrounded by mosquitos. Hardly a confidence builder.

"Hey, Alex. Take off your jammies and put your Suns uni back on. You're going to close out the game for a change. Pretend that you're accustomed to it."

And why? Because Kieff, our de facto 4th quarter Center, made a fool of himself by following a technical with a technical of his own.

It will be interesting to see if Brandan Wright will make a difference. Either way, it won't be a confidence builder for Alex Len.

41 points given up in the 4th quarter! :shrug:

marios13

Rookie
Reaction score
he had a nice Darth Vader voice ... in that interview ...
Hopefully he gets better soon ...

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Couple of interesting quotes from the coach:

"We were just jacking up shots," Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said.
"They want to live by the jumper, die by the jumper, I guess. These guys think they can make every shot.
But if they don't, you lose."

Well, Mr. Coach, why do you think they jack up shots? It couldn't possibly be because they are not being held accountable, could it?

They crumbled physically and then emotionally. P.J. Tucker and Markieff Morris received consecutive technical fouls,
piling onto the team's NBA lead, during the same dead ball to help the Spurs to an 87-82 lead.

"The coaches have talked about that all year," Hornacek said.
"We are just going to take them out when they get a technical from now on."

Good! Took you long enough to figure that out. Now do the same when they jack up bad shots and we might even make playoffs.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Not enough. Occasional technicals are one thing, but repeated stupid ones should result in team-imposed suspensions. MkMorris needs to take a seat next game. Of course, Tucker has already shown himself to have terrible judgment and is probably beyond hope, but there's still hope for Morris if he can learn to think about someone other than himself (and his brother), I guess.

Either way, this franchise needs to start implementing a culture of responsibility, now. Selfishness becomes contagious, and once a franchise is infected with the virus of egocentric dysfunction, you pretty much have to purge the entire roster to get back on track.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Either way, this franchise needs to start implementing a culture of responsibility, now. Selfishness becomes contagious, and once a franchise is infected with the virus of egocentric dysfunction, you pretty much have to purge the entire roster to get back on track.

This is so true!

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Couple of interesting quotes from the coach:

"We were just jacking up shots," Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said.
"They want to live by the jumper, die by the jumper, I guess. These guys think they can make every shot.
But if they don't, you lose."

Well, Mr. Coach, why do you think they jack up shots? It couldn't possibly be because they are not being held accountable, could it?

They crumbled physically and then emotionally. P.J. Tucker and Markieff Morris received consecutive technical fouls,
piling onto the team's NBA lead, during the same dead ball to help the Spurs to an 87-82 lead.

"The coaches have talked about that all year," Hornacek said.

Good! Took you long enough to figure that out. Now do the same when they jack up bad shots and we might even make playoffs.

I think its funny to see him blaming players for jacking up shots when he has no offensive system and he doesn't ever hold the players "jacking up shots" accountable.

Guys like Gerald Green are given a green light for way too long.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think its funny to see him blaming players for jacking up shots when he has no offensive system and he doesn't ever hold the players "jacking up shots" accountable.

Guys like Gerald Green are given a green light for way too long.
Do you ever get tired of offering your opinions as fact?
Of course there is a system - it is a drive and dish offense. That is why we have the PGs that we do. That is why Jeff wants the speed nearly every play - it causes defensive lapses, delayed rotations, open shots on the dishing or layups (of which we miss WAY too many). We mix in a little screen and roll, but it is mostly drive and dish. And when we play that way, we are successful. When the PGs decide to dribble on the perimeter and hoist up shots, to which Jeff is referring, the offense stagnates. It might not be the offense that you want or care for, but it is what it is. It is not a huge motion offense because cutting brings defenders into the lane - kind of hard to drive and dish with a lane full of defenders. Goran is the best at this offense, even though he "plays" PG the least. That should frustrate you/me and Horny should really fix that, IMO. How many of you cringe every time it comes down to the end of the clock and Bledsoe or IT has the ball? How many of you scream to get it to Dragic if he is on the court?

As far as Green, I believe that he is being told to do what he is doing. If you notice, his defender is no where near a play on the other side of the court, so he has value being out there to begin with on the offensive end. They are afraid to leave him alone. But that also means few uncontested shots. I don't like when he brings the ball up either, but I think that SOME of that is by design (not the fast-break ones). When he gets hot, he gets hot. But you can't take him out after 3 shots that don't go (12 or so like the other night was excessive!). I like that he is trying to pass more - especially to the centers. His mental lapses on defense can be trying on the patience, though.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I made a comment how Dragic looked like he was 40 years old in the first half. I think he may have been sick.
http://www.azcentral.com/videos/sports/nba/suns/2015/01/10/21545087/

This may have had a lot to do with it. All three pg's were sick. So instead of driving, playing d, and doing what is hard work, they just jacked up threes. Of course, Green is going to do nothing but join that party.

Flush it. If they start playing like this when they are healthy, its a problem. Right now its a potential problem.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Gerald probably has to have a green light if he's going to of any use but I'd sit him for dribbling the ball up court every time he did it, mishap or no. Lack of effort on defense or rebounding could signal that he 'needed' a rest, too. He has shown that he can be effective - more effective, anyway - when he works hard on those facets of the game. I believe it would give him some motivation if Jeff replaced him with Warren in those cases - like TJ was auditioning for some of his minutes. Or Goodwin if Jeff thinks he's more ready or deserving. (If you think this is just a devious way of getting those two more opportunities, you're right!)

Jeff's nearly non-existent play book plays a role in this, too. When Gerald is having a rough night, calling a couple of his favorite plays where he goes to basket could be a useful tactic - it's encouraging him to shoot while eliminating some of his egregious shots. Ain't going to happen of course as Horny is proving to be stubborn about some things.

It really turns my stomach when he complains about what the players are doing on the floor to the press - its tantamount to admitting he is doing a poor job of coaching them.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is the Suns schedule between January 21st and February 5th:

Portland
Houston
clippers
DC
Bulls
Warriors
grizz
Portland.

Based on the games against NO, OKC and SAS, we probably lose most of them by like 5 pts or less.

Seriously, what's our record in 5 pt or less games this season against good teams in the West? Like 0-7?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
This is the Suns schedule between January 21st and February 5th:

Portland
Houston
clippers
DC
Bulls
Warriors
grizz
Portland.

Based on the games against NO, OKC and SAS, we probably lose most of them by like 5 pts or less.

Seriously, what's our record in 5 pt or less games this season against good teams in the West? Like 0-7?

If I remember correctly, the Suns destroyed the Blazers three or four times last year, and I think they can beat Washington. They might squeak out two or three wins.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the Suns destroyed the Blazers three or four times last year, and I think they can beat Washington. They might squeak out two or three wins.

We'll need at least 4 wins during that stretch. Looking at the Pelicans and OKC remaining schedule, ours is harder imo.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
We'll need at least 4 wins during that stretch. Looking at the Pelicans and OKC remaining schedule, ours is harder imo.

Oh, I think we are not thinking in the same terms. I have no expectations that the Suns will make playoffs. In my opinion, there is no chance in hell the Suns end up in top eight in the West.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oh, I think we are not thinking in the same terms. I have no expectations that the Suns will make playoffs. In my opinion, there is no chance in hell the Suns end up in top eight in the West.

I'm hoping the Suns realize this and make a trade to put us into that top 8 area in order to avoid yet ANOTHER #13 or #14 draft pick.

I was fine with us losing if we developed our rookies and sophomores (other than Len) but looks like that's not happening so now I hope we stay afloat enough to somehow squeak in.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm hoping the Suns realize this and make a trade to put us into that top 8 area in order to avoid yet ANOTHER #13 or #14 draft pick.

I was fine with us losing if we developed our rookies and sophomores (other than Len) but looks like that's not happening so now I hope we stay afloat enough to somehow squeak in.

That's the most frustrating part. If Ennis, Goodwin, and Warren were playing, I'd be fine regardless of the record, but the Suns don't see it that way. I hope they make playoffs, but I don't see how they do it, unless a random team implodes between now and the end of the year.

Who know, maybe McD pulls some big trade?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's the most frustrating part. If Ennis, Goodwin, and Warren were playing, I'd be fine regardless of the record, but the Suns don't see it that way. I hope they make playoffs, but I don't see how they do it, unless a random team implodes between now and the end of the year.

Who know, maybe McD pulls some big trade?
That's the only hope. He has a little over a month to do something.

I'm gonna assume that we don't go into the summer with 4 PGs still on the roster. Certainly would be telling about how they feel about Dragic's free agency because I don't think they will want to commit $30-$35 million to 3 point guards.