My take: We are taking the Saints too lightly...

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really don't see alot of people taking the Saints lightly. Was their a hotter team than the Packers the second half of the season? We had good reason to be concerned playing them. Now I sense some relief we won but every Card fan knows if we don't play well this weekend we are done. I am nervous about Saturday but so damn grateful we are still in it. I believe many others feel the same way. This is a blast...

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Nobody is taking the Saints lightly. Why would they? It's just the Packers had the rematch factor and there were alot more Pack fans on here to stoke the fire. The Saints could easily beat the Cards they are 7 point favorites. That's a pretty big number. Plus, it's the Saints.They're not going to eveoke the emotion of long time established teams/rivals like the Packer, Eagles, Cowboys. I bet last year there wasn't too much talk abot Carolina or the Falcons in comparison to the Packer game as well. Also Jeremy Shockey isn't near the threat Finley is. I put him in the Todd Heap/Heath Miller category. They are capable of having a good game but they aren't dominate TE's by any means. Jenning is better than Colston but it's close. But the Saints overall WR corp is better. The team that wins this game is going to be who runs the ball better and i like our chances with Beanie. NO doesn't have anyone of his talent.As long as Whiz uses him we'll be fine.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
It doesn't matter one bit if we take 'em lightly, the players won't be takin 'em lightly that's the only thing that counts

chickenhead

Reaction score
I'm not taking the Saints lightly. They won 13 games. But I think the perception that we're taking them lightly is just that we really don't know what to expect. The fact that they let down after they clinched, they don't have a history of playoff success, they have the ability to hang 40+ on a team fairly easily but you can't say for sure they'll do it...who does this remind you of? Same reason other teams' fans seem to take the Cards lightly.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
It's not a matter of taking them lightly, it's a matter of knowing that our team will find a way to win. The last two years, they have just made me (and many of us) believers. They win with offense, they win with Larry being huge, Kurt being unreal, they win with timely defensive turnovers (Antron vs the Falcons, Dansby vs the Pack), they win on the road, they relish the underdog role (which they are still vs NO), Steven Spach makes a catch over the middle on 3rd and forever, they win with Boldin, they win without Boldin, they give away leads against Philly and Green Bay, only to find a way to win, the D stepped up and they come roaring back vs Pittsburg when they looked dead.

How can't I believe? And I believe we are going to win this week. And the week after that..and the Super Bowl. That's what I believe. It has nothing to do with the other team.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Really, for awhile it was the offense. They were completely shut down by the 49ers and Green Bay looked to be just as tough or tougher a defense. So some were legitimately concerned that the Cards wouldn't be able to overcome our defensive shortcomings by outscoring Green Bay.

New Orleans isn't perceived as having as strong a defense as the Packers so naturally people, especially after Sunday, don't feel that way about the Saints. Hence the rise in optimism this week over last.

In most of the important statistical categories, the Cardinals Defense is superior; I actually expect them to have a good game.

Both the Saint's offensive and defensive stats benefited from this fact that Sando captured.

Mike Sando: said:
The Saints' pass defense ranked third among NFL teams in holding opposing quarterbacks to low passer ratings. Here's the thing, though. The Saints faced Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman (twice), Jake Delhomme (twice) and Chad Henne. Marc Bulger had 298 yards against them and nearly won the game. Kurt Warner is in another class, particularly in the playoffs. Warner already has more playoff victories in fewer games than Steve Young, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino and Peyton Manning. He had more touchdown passes (five) than incompletions (four) Sunday.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
In most of the important statistical categories, the Cardinals Defense is superior; I actually expect them to have a good game.

Both the Saint's offensive and defensive stats benefited from this fact that Sando captured.

Exactly. And Green Bay's defense was superior to both the Cards and the Saints. So people were justifiably more concerned last week than this.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it doesnt make a difference who we take lightly. All that matters is that the team doesn't. ;)

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate that Davis has our DBs play side instead of individual players. DRC should be on Meachem(sp?) w/ McFadden on Colston. Adams should try to hide on Henderson's shoulderpads and maybe he can bat away a ball or 2 from there. We are in desperate need of speed in the secondary.

Father Time

Reaction score
Hmm...take lightly? It's time. It's time for a Cardinals victory!!! As we shift from this age to the next, from one decade to another, so The Age of the Arizona Cardinals begins! So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm...take lightly? It's time. It's time for a Cardinals victory!!! As we shift from this age to the next, from one decade to another, so The Age of the Arizona Cardinals begins! So it shall be written, so it shall be done.
Timeless first post.

daybreaker

Reaction score
Sando's opinion is pretty much BS. The Saints didnt face Delhomme twice. Moore was the starter in the 2nd game, and the Saints had already benched Brees and numerous starters by that point.

And he fails to mention that the reason people like Stafford and Bulger put up huge yards is because they were so far behind so fast they had to throw all game.

Not to mention we completely shut down Tom Brady.

So hey- feel free to feel good about Warner putting up 400 yards in a loss. If 300 of them come after going down 28-0 it doesnt matter.

Denzien

Reaction score
I'll try my hand at adding a little Saints' fan perspective to the following. Take from it what you will.

The saints have the older Sharper who had an awesome first half of the season to lead him in an early defensive player of the year.It did'nt last.

Sharper's drop off in production has a direct correlation to the Saints losing their man corners in Greer (Week 9, sports hernia) and Porter (Week 10, MCL sprain). These losses forced the defense to switch to more zone coverage using Sharper to bracket receivers covered by the rookie Jenkins to help mitigate his occasional mistakes. This removed Sharper from his early season "center fielder" role on the defense, where he was able to use his abilities to create plays.

Greer and Porter are both healthy and will be starting.

The saints tight end can't match the wide reciever talents of Finley in Shockey.

Shockey is an excellent all around TE, makes difficult catches, out-muscles defenders and is a difference maker in the run game. He's also a vocal, emotional leader that keeps the team pumped throughout the game. The only games in which Shockey has not played are the only games the Saints have lost.

The Saints lost thier #1 OLT very early in the season and Mr. Bushrod has been very up and down even with fullback help all season,to put it lightly.

Jammal Brown was lost before the season began, Bushrod has started almost every game, except 1 (I think) due to injury. Certainly, we miss our Pro Bowl left tackle and there are occasions where Bushrod needs help against the elite pass rushers (see the Dallas game when he got little to no help) - but he has generally held his own against all but the best.

Brees has many recievers none with the playoff experience of a Donald Driver from the Cheeseheads.

I would think your fan base, of all people, would understand why this is a non-issue. Tell me: what playoff experience did the Cardinals' receivers have before last season? Colston, Bush and Henderson have all played in the playoffs before.

I think Brees is more accurate when on than the wrestling belt champion from greenbay.His seam route throws are machine like.Those hands still have to catch those precise passes in traffic most of the time.

Drops by the Saints receivers are not unheard of, but are rare. Brees can usually hit a guy in traffic. Makes my heart explode...but he still does it.

With the loss of 2 time SB winner from the Pats,the saints Heath Evans was a Major weapon for them to lose and he could catch too.Brees spreads it around like Warner.

Heath Evans was the perfect fullback for our offense and he's missed. Still, the Saints did manage to win an additional 8 games after losing him for the season. TE Dave Thomas has done a surprisingly good job at the FB position (considering he's not a FB).

I think Grant is as good a back as p.Thomas for the saints with bad ribs now.One good shot and that marcaine will be non-effective.

Thomas is a bear-wrestling brute of a man. He once played as the only back in 2007, amassing more than 100 yards rushing and 100 yards receiving with two ribs that had been cracked the previous week.

I hope we start blitzing coming off the bus and Drew gets hit early as possible as we did last week.

If you can do this, it would be effective. If you fail, it will be your doom. The same can be said about our defense and Kurt Warner. (who I greatly respect, by the way)

This pass defense of the saints is rated pretty good compared to the overall defense which is 26th.Not 2nd.

At the beginning of the season, our defensive stats were misleadingly poor because we played 'prevent defense' for the entire second half for the first two games. Then the defense won the next two, because we needed them to 'step up'.

Our run defense took several hits due to injury though - Clancy was playing well at DT but was placed on IR shortly into the season - then our other starting tackle, Sedrick Ellis, went out to an injury. Shortly after that we lost starting SLB Fujita and this combination really hurt our run defense. As soon as we get Fujita back, our starting WLB Shanle goes down forcing us to play with mediocre backup linebackers for an extended period of time. Ellis came back, but played sparingly. The linebackers (though not nearly as awesome as Green Bay's) and Ellis should all be fully healthy now.

The cowgirls came into a very loud Superdome and dominated the saints with not the wide open offense we can put on the field.Then two other teams followed suit and ended the saints season that peaked very early as they ended last season very hot coming into this year.

The Cowboys surprised us early, but only scored 10 points in the last 3 1/2 quarters (13 if you count the missed field goal). The Saints' offense was flat, and Henderson even had a drop in the endzone which would have left the game tied at the end.

The following week, the Saints put up 17 easy points on Tampa and coasted to the finish, giving up a Punt returned for a TD and missing the game winning FG.

The final week was basically forfeited because there was nothing to gain, and the Panthers play a very physical style of defense...no sense in damaging your playmakers.

If the CARDINALS can handle the crowd noise and escape the drive killing penalties.Thenget off to a fast start they can take the drunk who dats out of the game.

If the Cardinals can handle all of that, there's a good chance they can win.

Just like I think Shanle is the weakspot in the saints lb group.He was drafted and cut by the rams & picked up by the cowgirls and unprotected the saints got him.

Us Saints fans have been saying this for years, but neither the players nor the coaches agree with this assessment. Shanle is not flashy, but he makes good tackles and is almost always in the right position to make a play. I'm tired of doubting him by now.

Even the saints don't know how they'll play after this break and the season ending loses.They just know it will be loud.:)

They're also confident that they can go in and play their best football.

I would posit that the Cardinals don't know how they'll play in a road game against a very loud and passionate fan base on a short week after a grueling, fast-paced game. Still, they should also be confident that they can go out and play the best game they're capable of. There are no excuses for less.

Here's to a great game tomorrow with no injuries! :cheers:

Last edited:

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
Sando's opinion is pretty much BS. The Saints didnt face Delhomme twice. Moore was the starter in the 2nd game, and the Saints had already benched Brees and numerous starters by that point.

And he fails to mention that the reason people like Stafford and Bulger put up huge yards is because they were so far behind so fast they had to throw all game.

Not to mention we completely shut down Tom Brady.

So hey- feel free to feel good about Warner putting up 400 yards in a loss. If 300 of them come after going down 28-0 it doesnt matter.

How does Kurt Warner throw for 400 yards as the CARDINALS are the #1 team in the NFL in the REDZONE.That means tons of points since we come up with 7 more of the time than any other NFL team.
A Warner 400 yard game is a catastrophic loss for the who dats.

I agree an early big lead by either team will just contribute to a major pinball scoring game for sure.The team behind will go no huddle airborne.No quarterback is seeing the field and releasing the ball ahead of time on a rope like Kurt was last week.

Badluck to your team.Shockey is no Finley.Meachem,Devery,colston &moore who is the best talent of them all.Don't equal the men wr's we faced last week.The packs qb was on and yet he lost.The packers would have beaten the saints at home this week too.Hottest team in the league is now home shoveling snow

I guess your team can shuck oysters.:D.

Denzien

Reaction score
How does Kurt Warner throw for 400 yards as the CARDINALS are the #1 team in the NFL in the REDZONE.That means tons of points since we come up with 7 more of the time than any other NFL team.

Or maybe that means you don't get into the redzone as often as other teams? Got the numbers?

I mean...the Cards only scored 375 points this season. The Saints scored 510.

Last edited:

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
I'll try my hand at adding a little Saints' fan perspective to the following. Take from it what you will.

Sharper's drop off in production has a direct correlation to the Saints losing their man corners in Greer (Week 9, sports hernia) and Porter (Week 10, MCL sprain). These losses forced the defense to switch to more zone coverage using Sharper to bracket receivers covered by the rookie Jenkins to help mitigate his occasional mistakes. This removed Sharper from his early season "center fielder" role on the defense, where he was able to use his abilities to create plays.

Greer and Porter are both healthy and will be starting.

Shockey is an excellent all around TE, makes difficult catches, out-muscles defenders and is a difference maker in the run game. He's also a vocal, emotional leader that keeps the team pumped throughout the game. The only games in which Shockey has not played are the only games the Saints have lost.

Jammal Brown was lost before the season began, Bushrod has started almost every game, except 1 (I think) due to injury. Certainly, we miss our Pro Bowl left tackle and there are occasions where Bushrod needs help against the elite pass rushers (see the Dallas game when he got little to no help) - but he has generally held his own against all but the best.

I would think your fan base, of all people, would understand why this is a non-issue. Tell me: what playoff experience did the Cardinals' receivers have before last season? Colston, Bush and Henderson have all played in the playoffs before.

Drops by the Saints receivers are not unheard of, but are rare. Brees can usually hit a guy in traffic. Makes my heart explode...but he still does it.

Heath Evans was the perfect fullback for our offense and he's missed. Still, the Saints did manage to win an additional 8 games after losing him for the season. TE Dave Thomas has done a surprisingly good job at the FB position (considering he's not a FB).

Thomas is a bear-wrestling brute of a man. He once played as the only back in 2007, amassing more than 100 yards rushing and 100 yards receiving with two ribs that had been cracked the previous week.

If you can do this, it would be effective. If you fail, it will be your doom. The same can be said about our defense and Kurt Warner. (who I greatly respect, by the way)

At the beginning of the season, our defensive stats were misleadingly poor because we played 'prevent defense' for the entire second half for the first two games. Then the defense won the next two, because we needed them to 'step up'.

Our run defense took several hits due to injury though - Clancy was playing well at DT but was placed on IR shortly into the season - then our other starting tackle, Sedrick Ellis, went out to an injury. Shortly after that we lost starting SLB Fujita and this combination really hurt our run defense. As soon as we get Fujita back, our starting WLB Shanle goes down forcing us to play with mediocre backup linebackers for an extended period of time. Ellis came back, but played sparingly. The linebackers (though not nearly as awesome as Green Bay's) and Ellis should all be fully healthy now.

The Cowboys surprised us early, but only scored 10 points in the last 3 1/2 quarters (13 if you count the missed field goal). The Saints' offense was flat, and Henderson even had a drop in the endzone which would have left the game tied at the end.

The following week, the Saints put up 17 easy points on Tampa and coasted to the finish, giving up a Punt returned for a TD and missing the game winning FG.

The final week was basically forfeited because there was nothing to gain, and the Panthers play a very physical style of defense...no sense in damaging your playmakers.

If the Cardinals can handle all of that, there's a good chance they can win.

Us Saints fans have been saying this for years, but neither the players nor the coaches agree with this assessment. Shanle is not flashy, but he makes good tackles and is almost always in the right position to make a play. I'm tired of doubting him by now.

They're also confident that they can go in and play their best football.

I would posit that the Cardinals don't know how they'll play in a road game against a very loud and passionate fan base on a short week after a grueling, fast-paced game. Still, they should also be confident that they can go out and play the best game they're capable of. There are no excuses for less.

Here's to a great game tomorrow with no injuries! :cheers:

For a guy who ends his post talking about no excuses,you can't even count the excuses in your post about injuries and adjusting to them like every NFL team does week to week.Your whole post was an excuse.:sad:

OP
OP
BigDavis75

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I think it doesnt make a difference who we take lightly. All that matters is that the team doesn't. ;)

Thanks for the input. Just putting my opinion out there, doesn't mean you guys need to be on the defensive.:raccoon:

Reaction score
I will say I have to agree with the OP a Ton of people are looking at the saints and writing them off more there defense then anything else. What a lot of card fans and expert analysts dont like to mention is that before the saints were hit with a ton of injuries throughout there whole defense starting around week 9 is that they had the most takeaways and defensive tds scored and a d that could get a solid offense off the field in three plays..I do believe they were ranked in the top ten or so at the half way mark... then the injuries hit and the defense relly went down hill for the last part of the season... But now we are coming into this game the healthiest we have been since the start of the season - charles grant which will hurt our run d a little but actually help our pass rush as i believe anthony hargrove or mccray are better at rushing the passer. so this game will be a dogfight and please dont underestimate this defense like so many people are good luck and lets hope for another great game this weekend..... WHO DAT!!

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hate that Davis has our DBs play side instead of individual players. DRC should be on Meachem(sp?) w/ McFadden on Colston. Adams should try to hide on Henderson's shoulderpads and maybe he can bat away a ball or 2 from there. We are in desperate need of speed in the secondary.

Great post. I've been thinking that since we Monday. McFadden is supposed to be a physical corner, have him line up on Colston and do his very best to knock him off his route. DRC can then bait Brees into throwing the long ball where DRC will have an opportunity to run under it and make a play.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great post. I've been thinking that since we Monday. McFadden is supposed to be a physical corner, have him line up on Colston and do his very best to knock him off his route. DRC can then bait Brees into throwing the long ball where DRC will have an opportunity to run under it and make a play.

exactly

I wanted us to do it last week and leave DRC on Jennings and have McFadden fight with Driver. If Johnson had been activated we could have had Rolle try to body up with Finley.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I am now living in Baton Rouge, and these folks down here do not even expect the Cardinals to be a speed bump on their way to the Super Bowl. The total disregard for the Cards is amazing.
The Saints have not played 60 minutes for nearly two months and they should have lost the last three games they won. If they come into this game thinking they can get away with only playing one solid quarter of football, they are in big trouble. The Cards learned last year how to lay it all out there for sixty minutes,....I am just hoping the Saints dont figure it out until its too late.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Personally, I dont care what any "expert" says, this game comes down to the QB's and which one of them blinks first.

Warner in the playoffs = lights out and Drew Brees--to me--is a combination of Warner and Manning--and can torch any secondary in the league.

These two teams are quite similar in build and there is very little separating them (exactly as I saw last week's game). This game will be decided by less than seven points...