My take: We are taking the Saints too lightly...

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
In reading over the message board this week, it seems like, as a group, the posters are much more confident going into the game against the Saints than we were about the Packers game. Whether it be because people truly think the Saints are worse than the Packers or that after making it through the Packers game that no one else compares, I feel the Saints are a much better team than we are giving them credit for.

First, there has been a lot of talk about how the Packers have better receivers and a better QB than the Saints. This isn't true, Colston is an excellent player and Henderson is a good deep threat but the player that scares me the most on the offense is Robert Meachem. The guy has excellent hands and speed and got better every game this season(16 ypc and 9 TDs). Having him versus Adams or Brown should be keeping me up at night. While Finley is an awesome player, Shockey is not that far off and can do a lot of the same things so we should not take him too lightly either. They can also go two TE on us with no problem as David Thomas is a good player too.

Further, their rushing offense is very good (6th) although PT being nicked up helps. Bush and PT are threats who can score in a lot of different ways.

As far as Brees, I feel all of the talk anointing Rodgers as the superior player was premature. Brees was at the helm of the top scoring offense and the top overall offense. The number of times he took the team to endzone when it mattered is also astounding. He is devastatingly accurate and will not miss the type of passes that Rodgers missed.

The defense will also be much better than it was now that everyone is healthy. Sharper will go back to doing what made him the early DPOY candidate. Having Porter back (who I think is an excellent player) is huge. Vilma and Will Smith are playmakers and will most likely be factors in the game. This is a defense who can take the ball away and we are an offense who has shown a propensity for turnovers in bunches.

Anyone that thinks this game will be anything but a dogfight is kidding themselves. We can cite their poor finish and what not but look at how we finished last season. This team will come to play and there is a reason they won thirteen games is a row and beat teams in a multitude of ways every game.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Saints are a great, great team. I just think we match up better against them than the Packers.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think the Saints are a great, great team. I just think we match up better against them than the Packers.

How so?? Brees and been sacked far less than Rogers. He has 7 players on offense with more than 35 catches a piece. They ran the ball for more than 2,000 yards.
Hell, the Packers had Rogers, Finlay, Driver and Jennings. The Saints have far more weapons on offense and Brees is a far more experienced and QB than Rogers.

:shrug:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
How so?? Brees and been sacked far less than Rogers. He has 7 players on offense with more than 35 catches a piece. They ran the ball for more than 2,000 yards.
Hell, the Packers had Rogers, Finlay, Driver and Jennings. The Saints have far more weapons on offense and Brees is a far more experienced and QB than Rogers.

:shrug:

Simple. Much better defense with the Packers and the Packers take care of the ball better.

Saying that I am not taking this game lightly period and its definitely not because of whom we play. Its more I wanted to see if the Cards would respond in this playoffs like they did last year. Could they (mostly the offense which we have been bitching about all year) really just 'turn it on'. Sure seems like they can so my confidence has sky rocketed. I am starting to belive if the game is important and everyones motivation is the same, we can and will take out anybody. We have the talent, the coaching, and the focus this time of year. I almost look at the Steelers game as an aberration.

And as for all the people on the MB taking them too lightly - LOL - we are fans, a step below even the national analyst and their opinion in terms of how it effects the team.

As long as the boys on the field take them seriously who gives?

OT: Did anyone else notice how eerie it was that both divsional games the last two years turned on a hit fumble/INT into the end zone? It was Rolle last year and Dansby this year.

Fitz Rulz

Registered
Reaction score
I think GB game was more emotional for us fans: we didn't want to lose for a 3rd time against them. Everyone was predicting GB blowout against us. Now the tone changed a bit in our favour and we just felt relaxed after all. Also, we did notw ant to lose our 1st playoffs game after last year at home and also the injuries of DRC & Boldin. So many things attributed to our worries, panic. I don't feel Saints will be easier, but I feel it's kindof game where there's nothing to lose.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Simple. Much better defense with the Packers and the Packers take care of the ball better.

Still don't see how that means we match up better? We put up 51 on the Pack. How much more are you thinking we'll put up on the Saints due to their poorer defense??
I think defensively, we will be far more challenged against the Saints than we were against the Packers offense. Not saying our guys can't rise to the challenge. I think they can. But IMO, it will be a tougher challenge than what we faced with the Packers offense...

OT: Did anyone else notice how eerie it was that both divsional games the last two years turned on a hit fumble/INT into the end zone? It was Rolle last year and Dansby this year.

Technically, it was Dockett/Rolle last season, and Adams/Dansby this year. ;)

OP
OP
BigDavis75

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score

Saying that I am not taking this game lightly period and its definitely not because of whom we play. Its more I wanted to see if the Cards would respond in this playoffs like they did last year. Could they (mostly the offense which we have been bitching about all year) really just 'turn it on'. Sure seems like they can so my confidence has sky rocketed. I am starting to belive if the game is important and everyones motivation is the same, we can and will take out anybody. We have the talent, the coaching, and the focus this time of year. I almost look at the Steelers game as an aberration.

And as for all the people on the MB taking them too lightly - LOL - we are fans, a step below even the national analyst and their opinion in terms of how it effects the team.

As long as the boys on the field take them seriously who gives?

That's fine, obviously we are supposed to support the team, but it seems like most people think we are just going to roll past the Saints, which is surprising to me because the Saints a clearly a better team than what they have shown recently. It doesn't matter how we relate to analysts on this board but our expectations are severely flawed for this game.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it's light. I think it's emotional exhaustion. There's no way that we as a fanbase, or the players on the team can expect that the battle they just fought will not only be repeated, but by possibly bested by superior offensive opponents.

On the upside, the Cardinals find a way to win this game and their confidence will be at an all time high.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
That's fine, obviously we are supposed to support the team, but it seems like most people think we are just going to roll past the Saints, which is surprising to me because the Saints a clearly a better team than what they have shown recently. It doesn't matter how we relate to analysts on this board but our expectations are severely flawed for this game.

I think every playoff win is a miracle.

So I don't take any team lightly.

It's just that you can only wring your hands so much, have some fun, let them play the game, the players know what's up and I might say that they know a heck of a lot more about winning in the playoffs than the Saints do, fact.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
The pressure is on the Saints now.
They are supposed to win their home game. Cardinals fans just need to make a case that the Cardinals have a chance to win, which they do.

There is also the factor that the Packers were hot. They had won 7 of 8 going into last week. The Saints have lost three in a row and have had a week off. Right or wrong, they don't seem as scary as they did a month ago.

OP
OP
BigDavis75

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
The pressure is on the Saints now.
They are supposed to win their home game. Cardinals fans just need to make a case that the Cardinals have a chance to win, which they do.

There is also the factor that the Packers were hot. They had won 7 of 8 going into last week. The Saints have lost three in a row and have had a week off. Right or wrong, they don't seem as scary as they did a month ago.

Okay, I can definitely respect this standpoint along with the emotional exhaustion. I personally was astounded we won in OT vs. the Packers, I had thought we lost the game at the coin toss in OT. I am of the opinion we are almost playing on borrowed time but if we come into this game giving anything less than our best effort we are going to get beat and possibly embarrassed.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I dont think we are taking any team lightly as fans... But we are confident the team can win because they have won 4 straight NFC playoff games in many fashions at home and on the road.

The Cardinals can beat anyone in these playoffs and can get beat by anyone because there is very little separating each team IMO...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Okay, I can definitely respect this standpoint along with the emotional exhaustion. I personally was astounded we won in OT vs. the Packers, I had thought we lost the game at the coin toss in OT. I am of the opinion we are almost playing on borrowed time but if we come into this game giving anything less than our best effort we are going to get beat and possibly embarrassed.

i don't disagree. i think our playoff experience and kurt's experience will carry the day. but i'm not taking the saints lightly. the speed of meacham and henderson is what scares me most (okay, and the fact that our team cannot, for their lives, cover ANY TE worth his salt). those dudes are faaaaast. other than drc we don't sport much speed in our defensive backfield and rare is the play that our safeties give enough deep help that a beat cb is covered. we could get our doors blown in due to the fact that we're gassed. i see it this way: (a) our defense comes outta nowhere and we win or (b) we get embarrassed. either way i'll be on a bachelor party cruise to mexico and within moments after watching the game i'll be drunk.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of all 5 matchups in the NFC playoffs the last two years this is the one I feel the least optimism about.

To make a long story short, the Saints have the motivational edge IMO. They've had to hear for weeks about how they are fading. They are seeing many experts pick the Cards this week. In other words, the roles have been flipped on us, and I don't like it. I think they come out guns blazing, trying to prove they are the big dog in the NFC and get people to eat their words.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Not taking the Saints lightly at all. They are an awesome team. If the Cardinals don't bring their A game, not only will they lose they will be embarrassed.

No dillusions of grandure here.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I still think the key to this game is (whether or not we can run the ball enough to keep our D off the field). Both offensively and defensively, our big guys will have a hard time recovering from their expenditure of effort and stamina in the short time between the GB game and the Saints game. If both lines become exhausted in the first half, then we will be hard pressed to stop Brees and the Saints in the second. If we can get an early lead however, and keep Brees and their O off the fieldfor say 2 or three possessions, and make time consuming drives for TD's, we have a chance to hold off what will be a furious comeback in the 2nd half.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The one thing that worries me the most about facing Saints is the screen pass...

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
Big Davis 75: Every Playoff game is a WAR!First for the Packers.they had gotten back both offensive tackles and not given up but 6 sacks in the last 7 games,as they started the season giving up tons of sacks.

The saints started the season first 13 games with an average of almost 12 points off turnovers.If Kurt does'nt throw a pick 6 I don't know who will fumble this game away.

The Packers have the defensive player of the year covering Fitz and Fitz literally ran him over'although he did strip Fitz once due to Doucet not being where he was suppose to be to block Woodson.As we all saw Warner yelling at Early for letting it happen.

The saints have the older Sharper who had an awesome first half of the season to lead him in an early defensive player of the year.It did'nt last.

The Packers had some of the quickest linebackers in Hawk,Mathews,Bennett and others loving playing the new 3-4 defense this year as they were the #2 defense in the league.The saints tight end can't match the wide reciever talents of Finley in Shockey.

The Saints lost thier #1 OLT very early in the season and Mr. Bushrod has been very up and down even with fullback help all season,to put it lightly.Brees has many recievers none with the playoff experience of a Donald Driver from the Cheeseheads.

I think Brees is more accurate when on than the wrestling belt champion from greenbay.His seam route throws are machine like.Those hands still have to catch those precise passes in traffic most of the time.

With the loss of 2 time SB winner from the Pats,the saints Heath Evans was a Major weapon for them to lose and he could catch too.Brees spreads it around like Warner.

I think Grant is as good a back as p.Thomas for the saints with bad ribs now.One good shot and that marcaine will be non-effective.I hope we start blitzing coming off the bus and Drew gets hit early as possible as we did last week.

The crowd noise will be like a jet engine.Kurt Warner won his 7th playoff game,so far undefeated as a home playoff qb. He is 3-0 in divisional playoff games.One away in Charlotte last year.This pass defense of the saints is rated pretty good compared to the overall defense which is 26th.Not 2nd.

The playoff intensity does'nt just affect the away team.The home team feels pressure to keep being successfull and meeting the challenge.The cowgirls came into a very loud Superdome and dominated the saints with not the wide open offense we can put on the field.Then two other teams followed suit and ended the saints season that peaked very early as they ended last season very hot coming into this year.

I think the Pack was the hottest team overall in pre-season and it did'nt even look close for the 2nd best team.

If the CARDINALS can handle the crowd noise and escape the drive killing penalties.Thenget off to a fast start they can take the drunk who dats out of the game.We'll need a brek with Beisel playing for Hayes.Hayes is 2 inches shorter and 2 lbs heavier than Monty.Monty can run with a reciever much better than Gerald did last week in the mismatches they set up.

Just like I think Shanle is the weakspot in the saints lb group.He was drafted and cut by the rams & picked up by the cowgirls and unprotected the saints got him.Vilma is tough but no Sugar Ray at LB.

The 3rd time is a charm.Tomorrow night the NFL network Has the rams 2000 playoff game in the superdome.Plus the SB 36 loss in the superdome has Kurt ready to finally win one in Nawlins.I just can't bet against Kurt in the playoffs with the talent he has around him.I hope Whiz keeps Q out of the game myself.

Even the saints don't know how they'll play after this break and the season ending loses.They just know it will be loud.:)

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

jefftheshark: I'm not that worried about the Saints.......

Devil: Yeah! Screw the Saints! Grab their face masks! Pull their shoulder pads! You know they're gonna lose easily!

Angel (in a high falsetto voice): For shame JTS! I'm surprised at you.....you know that if you take them too lightly, we might just lose the game.

Devil: Aw.......don't listen to that ********! Look at their defense, you know that they don't have a chance at stopping Warner!

Angel: If you continue to take the Saints lightly, and the Cards lose, well you'll just despise yourself forever!

(jefftheshark thinks about it for a while)

Devil: You homo. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

JTS

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Still don't see how that means we match up better? We put up 51 on the Pack. How much more are you thinking we'll put up on the Saints due to their poorer defense??

I'll guarantee that if we'd put 51 on the 49ers there would have been a lot more positive thinking before the Green Bay game.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'll guarantee that if we'd put 51 on the 49ers there would have been a lot more positive thinking before the Green Bay game.

Duck, I could be way off here... but was the issue ever our offense? Really? Particularly in the post season these past two years, I really can't say I ever worried about our ability to move the ball and score. The issue always has been and remain our defense, in particular our pass defense. It's what cost us in the Super Bowl. It's what allowed Vince freakin Young to march 99 yards down the field and toss the game winning pass with zero time on the clock. And it's what allowed Rogers and the Packers to roll up 45 points on us last week.

So again, please tell me how or why we match up better with the Saints than we do the Packers?? If anything, it seems like a wash. Two great offenses in the Pack and Saints. Two incredible passing attacks against our thin, hurting and lame pass defense...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Duck, I could be way off here... but was the issue ever our offense? Really? Particularly in the post season these past two years, I really can't say I ever worried about our ability to move the ball and score. The issue always has been and remain our defense, in particular our pass defense. It's what cost us in the Super Bowl. It's what allowed Vince freakin Young to march 99 yards down the field and toss the game winning pass with zero time on the clock. And it's what allowed Rogers and the Packers to roll up 45 points on us last week.

So again, please tell me how or why we match up better with the Saints than we do the Packers?? If anything, it seems like a wash. Two great offenses in the Pack and Saints. Two incredible passing attacks against our thin, hurting and lame pass defense...

Really, for awhile it was the offense. They were completely shut down by the 49ers and Green Bay looked to be just as tough or tougher a defense. So some were legitimately concerned that the Cards wouldn't be able to overcome our defensive shortcomings by outscoring Green Bay.

New Orleans isn't perceived as having as strong a defense as the Packers so naturally people, especially after Sunday, don't feel that way about the Saints. Hence the rise in optimism this week over last.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Everyone expecting a shootout and a repeat of last weeks game is going to be disappointed. While I agree many fans seem to be taking the Saints lightly, I do think this is the week that the Cards' D turns it on and hold the Saints under 23 points. I also think the Saints hold us under 30 points.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard