Murray Scores Lowest on Wonderlic

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The Wonderlic in relation to football is a load of crap and most of these guys do not even care about the test unless they are lacking physical abilities and trying to use anything to justify being drafted. Murray is not stupid and Rosen is very smart... neither of those things showed up on the idiotic Wonderlic

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Add to it his refusal to workout at combine, run at pro day and the reports of poor interviews...that’s a lot of flags for a guy to be #1 overall.

Most red flags on a number one pick since Jamarcus Russell.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
QBs with less than 20:
Mcnabb
Terry Bradshaw
Mcnair
Lamar Jackson
Jim Kelly
Cunningham
Marino
Culpepper

Scored 20:
Vick
David carr
Bridgewater
Deshaun Watson

Scored 21: cam

As an aside - fitz scored an 18

Well he did go to the university of Phoenix

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Too narrow? Seriously? That what this is all about, finding a guy to lead us to championships.

A great QB means more to a Super Bowl team than any other position. His score is yet another factor to be considered in the big picture of him as a prospect.
A factor but it’s been a bad one. Success on the wonderlicr is high 30s but it’s been pointed out that mid 20s is adequate. So 20 is such a problem? So you would be against trading for deshaun Watson?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Add to it his refusal to workout at combine, run at pro day and the reports of poor interviews...that’s a lot of flags for a guy to be #1 overall.
. . . and then watch him actually play football. I know that’s a radical step . . .

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
. . . and then watch him actually play football. I know that’s a radical step . . .
Yeah, the radical step of watching him play with one of the top offenses in football with insane talent, and a scheme that unathletic college kids can't keep up with. I almost laugh watching Murray highlights - not a single defender around him, his WR 5 yards ahead of the guy...

In no way is it boring football to watch. But feeling like it's a realistic idea of how his play will be? I don't see it.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Yeah, the radical step of watching him play with one of the top offenses in football with insane talent, and a scheme that unathletic college kids can't keep up with. I almost laugh watching Murray highlights - not a single defender around him, his WR 5 yards ahead of the guy...

In no way is it boring football to watch. But feeling like it's a realistic idea of how his play will be? I don't see it.

Solar, I watched Mahomes' highlights from this last season and he had wide open guys like he was playing against the Big 12. Just calling what I am seeing. I feel you but the NFL is not what you still think it is... I luv Rosen but Murray can thrive in what the NFL is now

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I agree. We shouldn’t watch the tape of anyone that played at Alabama, Ohio state, or Clemson either. Right?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Solar, I watched Mahomes' highlights from this last season and he had wide open guys like he was playing against the Big 12. Just calling what I am seeing. I feel you but the NFL is not what you still think it is... I luv Rosen but Murray can thrive in what the NFL is now

and you think Murray can be Pat Mahomes?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Yeah, who'd have thought that the Chiefs were an insanely talented team who made Alex Smith look like a world-beater. Kelce, Hill, and Hunt are just amazing players, with amazing coaching. Call me when we have any player like that on our roster. Maybe DJ? Maybe? Fitz is old, Kirk has a lot to prove, and Charles Clay just isn't putting up that kind of work.

I agree. We shouldn’t watch the tape of anyone that played at Alabama, Ohio state, or Clemson either. Right?
No, but we should take it all with a grain of salt, like others are doing, unless we can narrow on individual matchups. When Kyler hits his first read without a defender even being able to read the word Sooners on his jersey, Hollywood Brown is wide open by five yards, and doesn't have any grass on his jersey, I've gotta stop to wonder who is responsible.

His speed is incredible, no doubt. It's super cool to watch.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia, Tom Landry of the Cowboys was the first to use the Wonderlic test back in the '70's. Which makes me wonder how relevant the test was around the rest of the league. When people use Bradshaw and Marino as examples of guys who didn't do well on the test it's hard to imagine it being a standard like it is now. If I had to guess, back then players didn't take it too seriously, if at all. Bradshaw and Marino are both guys who's reputations would lead me to easily believe they both blew that test off.

My point is that it isn't really an apples to apples comparison. Players today should KNOW that even though the result of the test isn't particularly important, taking it seriously should be. Preparing for the test isn't too difficult either. I would really think that agents and coaches could get copies of it to get a guy ready.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia, Tom Landry of the Cowboys was the first to use the Wonderlic test back in the '70's. Which makes me wonder how relevant the test was around the rest of the league. When people use Bradshaw and Marino as examples of guys who didn't do well on the test it's hard to imagine it being a standard like it is now. If I had to guess, back then players didn't take it too seriously, if at all. Bradshaw and Marino are both guys who's reputations would lead me to easily believe they both blew that test off.

My point is that it isn't really an apples to apples comparison. Players today should KNOW that even though the result of the test isn't particularly important, taking it seriously should be. Preparing for the test isn't too difficult either. I would really think that agents and coaches could get copies of it to get a guy ready.
I used to think this. I think I argued last year that Lamar Jackson’s score showed me a lack of desire to prepare. But the more I’ve looked into this the less I believe the wonderlic has a place in the process, for any position, anymore.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I used to think this. I think I argued last year that Lamar Jackson’s score showed me a lack of desire to prepare. But the more I’ve looked into this the less I believe the wonderlic has a place in the process, for any position, anymore.
You could be right but the things I think I value tie into it. I want the guy who takes all aspects of QB'ing seriously and is devoted to being the best at all of them. The Wonderlich score itself is of minimal correlation to football production but on my hypothetical team, preparedness for the test is the test and if one blows it off, knowing I place value on it, then it raises a question about him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard