Moving on from Kyler.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler is going to come back. He's going to start and he's going to start for some time.

No matter what you think about him there are no other options.

There's no moving on.
This I completely agree with.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who say he’ll be peak athlete Kyler by opening day next year, outside of AP (who was the biggest freak of nature ever), can anyone point to elite athletes who came back that fast?

It’s almost always that the first year a guy comes back, they’re a bit of a shell of themselves, but they CAN dial it back up the second season they’re back. Best example of that is Saquon Barkley. Blew his knee out in Game 2 of 2020. Came back after 2021 started and was mostly dogcrap, but looks like the superstar again in 2022.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
For those who say he’ll be peak athlete Kyler by opening day next year, outside of AP (who was the biggest freak of nature ever), can anyone point to elite athletes who came back that fast?

It’s almost always that the first year a guy comes back, they’re a bit of a shell of themselves, but they CAN dial it back up the second season they’re back. Best example of that is Saquon Barkley. Blew his knee out in Game 2 of 2020. Came back after 2021 started and was mostly dogcrap, but looks like the superstar again in 2022.
this is correct

I think the smart thing for the Cards is to not plan on having him the first 6-8 games next year.

I think the smart thing for Kyler is to spend this next 10 months or so working on his throwing mechanics and the mental aspect of the game -- he wont have to be a pure pocket passer, but he will have to be better at the shuffle and slide movements in the pocket to buy himself the exta beat to get a pass off rather than hitting the eject button.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
this is correct

I think the smart thing for the Cards is to not plan on having him the first 6-8 games next year.

I think the smart thing for Kyler is to spend this next 10 months or so working on his throwing mechanics and the mental aspect of the game -- he wont have to be a pure pocket passer, but he will have to be better at the shuffle and slide movements in the pocket to buy himself the exta beat to get a pass off rather than hitting the eject button.
And to add it would be smart for the organization to fully invest in the interior of the OLine. Well not just invest, but execute.

If Kyler is salvageable its going to be with developing a running and getting more force on the Oline.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He played most of his years at Bama lol it would be disingenuous to not credit Saban/Lane/Bama at least a good portion of it regardless of what he did with Lincoln.

Yeah but he was a punchline coming into the league to begin with. I thought Siriani was going to be a puppet and chump, but he and Jalen Hurts worked their butts off to get better and build something that has been wildly successful.

Give them a lot of credit. Riley plugged Hurts into a perpetual motion machine and got him and OU another Heisman trophy; Hurts and Siriani turned him into an MVP Pro Quarterback. We've seen little evidence that Kyler is willing or able to do that kind of work.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're paying Kyler either way so just draft or acquire another QB and start them moving forward. On either a rookie deal or something a bit more. We've literally seen enough of K1. Then officially move on from him as soon as it's financially possible. Live and learn.
Something this FO does not do

Especially MB

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He needs to spend time with whoever Jaylon Hurts went to last off season, work his tail off and come back with a vengeance. That is, of course, if daddy will allow it.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y

Give them a lot of credit. Riley plugged Hurts into a perpetual motion machine and got him and OU another Heisman finalist; Hurts and Siriani turned him into an MVP Pro Quarterback. We've seen little evidence that Kyler is willing or able to do that kind of work.
ftfy

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah but he was a punchline coming into the league to begin with. I thought Siriani was going to be a puppet and chump, but he and Jalen Hurts worked their butts off to get better and build something that has been wildly successful.

Give them a lot of credit. Riley plugged Hurts into a perpetual motion machine and got him and OU another Heisman trophy; Hurts and Siriani turned him into an MVP Pro Quarterback. We've seen little evidence that Kyler is willing or able to do that kind of work.

People here dissing Hurts as a passer when he leads the league in passer rating and is 4th in QBR is... odd.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean like… Jamal Murray and Kawhi?

Even if it’s 9 months recovery, it almost always takes guys who rely on their athleticism that entire first season of working themselves back into peak condition before they look the same as pre-ACL tear. That means next year you have at best diminished Kyler and possibly no Kyler at all with a true comeback to peak not happening until 2024.

But let’s put all that aside if we can’t agree to how/when Kyler comes back from an ACL year late in the season. He’s now just officially injury prone. We’re talking three leg injuries the last two seasons, multiple non-contact injuries this season, and a shoulder injury that derailed the second half of the 2020 season. 3 straight years. Multiple issues that either drastically effected his play or ability to stay on the field.

Sadly, I don’t think he has the body to stay healthy playing with the big boys. And I don’t think that’s going to change the more injuries pile up over the course of his career moving forward.
It takes most people 2 years to get back to peak performance

Don't expect much the first year

Plus there is the mental block about not trusting the knee or being shy about getting hit thinking about the knee

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Alert Mayfield or another stop-gap qb signing

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Kyler is just the ACL, and he's a fast healer, which we have no idea, he's only 3 weeks behind the schedule of Burrow.
Based on how long he took to come back from every one of his injuries, which outwardly seemed very minor (though of course we can't know for sure)... I would not expect him to be a fast healer!

...dave

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson