That contract extension looks really bad now

Why in the world SK did that is really bizarre

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I realize Kyler's legs are more important to him than Burrow but literally Burrow tore his ACL and MCL in late November and was back starting game 1 the next year.

If Kyler is just the ACL, and he's a fast healer, which we have no idea, he's only 3 weeks behind the schedule of Burrow.

Now Burrow if more of a pocket passer but the point is you CAN come back that quickly, it's just not a guarantee. To be back to full Kyler Murray yeah that's going to take longer.

But I can see him playing 12-13 games next season if rehab goes well.
As mentioned earlier I think RG3 and Wentz started week 1 following their knee injuries. Both were injured late in year. And here's another thing the team held out Kyler until he had 100% mobility the last two years. Im not sure they are going to play him until he's like that again.
Hope he can come back and be 100%

Not easy to do

That contract extension looks really bad now

Why in the world SK did that is really bizarre
His agent looks like a genius right now. That stupid offseason now seems worth it as Kyler would be screwed (relatively).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier I think RG3 and Wentz started week 1 following their knee injuries. Both were injured late in year. And here's another thing the team held out Kyler until he had 100% mobility the last two years. Im not sure they are going to play him until he's like that again.

His agent looks like a genius right now. That stupid offseason now seems worth it as Kyler would be screwed (relatively).

All good points and yeah I think if we start say 0-4 next season you're not going to rush Kyler back. If we're 2-2 and he can play, maybe you do play him.

the mental thing you just never know

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There is no reason he can't be healthy for a large portion of the 2023 season. He will likely need to adjust his game. No one is taking on his contract when he is injured. You can get out of the deal in two years and it only hits you for 30ish mil. You can jump out earlier but you are hard re-setting because you have to eat 98 mil. Not a QB in this draft worth doing that for.

Path forward. I don't have much faith in Bidwill doing what needs to be done. GM is the biggest problem IMO but tough to add a GM and HC separately. With the Kyler injury we are much less appealing because you kinda punt a year for a HC. The worst thing you could do is bring both GM and HC back. The best thing would be go get rid of both but you likely aren't getting great candidates. Maybe you can sell Ryans on this gig but...tough to tell.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no reason he can't be healthy for a large portion of the 2023 season. He will likely need to adjust his game. No one is taking on his contract when he is injured. You can get out of the deal in two years and it only hits you for 30ish mil. You can jump out earlier but you are hard re-setting because you have to eat 98 mil. Not a QB in this draft worth doing that for.

Path forward. I don't have much faith in Bidwill doing what needs to be done. GM is the biggest problem IMO but tough to add a GM and HC separately. With the Kyler injury we are much less appealing because you kinda punt a year for a HC. The worst thing you could do is bring both GM and HC back. The best thing would be go get rid of both but you likely aren't getting great candidates. Maybe you can sell Ryans on this gig but...tough to tell.

I just don't see any quality HC candidate being interested in the job with Kyler hurt.

Fire Keim and let the new guy assess Kliff for a year.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You're paying Kyler either way so just draft or acquire another QB and start them moving forward. On either a rookie deal or something a bit more. We've literally seen enough of K1. Then officially move on from him as soon as it's financially possible. Live and learn.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All good points and yeah I think if we start say 0-4 next season you're not going to rush Kyler back. If we're 2-2 and he can play, maybe you do play him.

the mental thing you just never know
Start 0-4 and we might be in Tank for Caleb Williams terriority @DVontel

I disagree with your Kyler comparison. Imo he's closer to Mahomes in terms of throwing on the run. Not elite speed, but glides and extends plays. However, his personality seems closer to Cam Newton than Mahomes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I disagree with your Kyler comparison. Imo he's closer to Mahomes in terms of throwing on the run. However, his personality seems closer to Cam Newton than Mahomes.
He’s nowhere close to Mahommes throwing on the run. At least not the last 20 games. Mahommes is probs my the greatest on the run magician throwing the ball. Kyler is average at best.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I disagree with your Kyler comparison. Imo he's closer to Mahomes in terms of throwing on the run. Not elite speed, but glides and extends plays. However, his personality seems closer to Cam Newton than Mahomes.
Think you should be weary of drafting another Lincoln Riley QB.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He’s nowhere close to Mahommes throwing on the run. At least not the last 20 games. Mahommes is probs my the greatest on the run magician throwing the ball. Kyler is average at best.
Im talking about Caleb Williams throwing on the run. Not Kyler.

Not saying he'll be as good as Mahomes, but his game is the closest of any QB I've seen. Also Sean Payton compared him to Mahomes as well.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Possible MVP Jalen Hurts?

Dont credit Bama too much. He was viewed as a late round pick/potential position switch guy before joining Riley.
He played most of his years at Bama lol it would be disingenuous to not credit Saban/Lane/Bama at least a good portion of it regardless of what he did with Lincoln.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He does lots of things in the pocket that remind me of Kyler. There are plays you watch Williams and you think did I miss a whistle, he's acting like it's a dead ball he's just standing there straight legged. He also does that back up instead of step forward and he turns his back and tries to outrun the pass rush. Again he's bigger than Kyler is but Kyler got away with all that stuff in college too.

I love Caleb Williams but I do think there's a reasonable chance he's going to have many of the same issues Kyler does in the pocket. The difference is he's 3 inches taller so he won't have as many of the height issues. I do think he throws on the run better than Kyler but then again that's because he's in college when he gets outside he's hitting guys wide open, it's different in the NFL as Kyler has discovered.

I hope it's a non issue and Kyler fully recovers but I've been saying all year Caleb is the best QB prospect in college that I've seen. I do like Bryce Young but he's so skinny and slight it concerns me greatly, and for all his success, he doesn't have the great arm that Williams (and Kyler) does.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He played most of his years at Bama lol it would be disingenuous to not credit Saban/Lane/Bama at least a good portion of it regardless of what he did with Lincoln.
Fine. They get the same amount of credit as Ohio State did for Joe Burrow.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fine. They get the same amount of credit as Ohio State did for Joe Burrow.
Burrow threw for a whopping 39 passes at his time in Columbus.

C’mon Sooner, don’t try to fit a narrative that isn’t there.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand a lot of people want to move on from Kyler, but the idea that his knee injury will impair him to a degree he will not be able to perform like his old self is just garbage.

It's not 1980. Hundreds of athletes have made near 100% recoveries from ACL tears, and it would be highly unlikely if he would not be able to as well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Kyler injury deads the Sean Payton talk. Not sure why he would walk into a situation unstable at QB. Unless Kyler is one of those guys who heals in 9 months.
9 months is closer to the rule than the exception nowadays.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9 months is closer to the rule than the exception nowadays.
You mean like… Jamal Murray and Kawhi?

Even if it’s 9 months recovery, it almost always takes guys who rely on their athleticism that entire first season of working themselves back into peak condition before they look the same as pre-ACL tear. That means next year you have at best diminished Kyler and possibly no Kyler at all with a true comeback to peak not happening until 2024.

But let’s put all that aside if we can’t agree to how/when Kyler comes back from an ACL year late in the season. He’s now just officially injury prone. We’re talking three leg injuries the last two seasons, multiple non-contact injuries this season, and a shoulder injury that derailed the second half of the 2020 season. 3 straight years. Multiple issues that either drastically effected his play or ability to stay on the field.

Sadly, I don’t think he has the body to stay healthy playing with the big boys. And I don’t think that’s going to change the more injuries pile up over the course of his career moving forward.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson