more expert analysis from the media

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
ESPN's Page 2 has a "grade the coaches" thing written by Charley Rosen.

Frank Johnson, Phoenix -- Grade: A-

Not to diminish the addition of Amare Stoudemire, but Johnson has single-handedly transformed the Suns from a team of grouchy underachievers to a competitive, and (mostly) hardworking ball club. How has he accomplished this? As a one-time NBA point guard, Johnson was able to get next to Stephon Marbury and convince him to sacrifice his own numbers and become an authentic play-making point guard.

The Suns remain young and erratic, but Johnson has pushed all the right buttons and managed to keep his team in playoff contention.

Now, fine, if someone from the media wants to say something nice about the Suns, great. But Johnson has "convinced Marbury to sacrifice his own numbers"? That is beyond idiotic. Marbury is playing extremely well, but which numbers has he "sacrificed"? He's averaging 23 points per game, so apparently he hasn't sacrificed scoring. His other numbers are around his career averages also.

Marbury may have put it bluntly in that recent interview, but he's right on target. He hasn't changed his game. This is what he's been doing all along, except perhaps during the darkest times in New Jersey. He averages about 23 and 8 and is one of the hardest offensive forces in the league to contain.

I think that's great, but please don't give Frank Johnson credit for it. Vomit.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly this guy has no idea what he is talking about. Marbury may be has taken a greater leadership role this year, but clearly he isn't sacrificing his numbers. He isn't he taking more shots per game this year?

Familiarity and the addition of Amare Stoudemire are probably the greatest changes to this year's team.

Joe Mama

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
As much as I have complained about FJ, I will give him credit for one thing. Compared to Skiles, the team under FJ has a lot better chemistry - whether that fits with what this idiot is trying to say is besides the point. If he learns about rotation patterns, when to pull someone out or leave them in, when to call or not to call time, and finally, how to play a C & PF at the same time, I might give him a C+..... at the most a B-.
What have I missed?:D