Miami may force a lottery

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They aren’t even trying to hide the fact they are tanking. They are cheating their fans, sponsors, and most important their players. Players on that roster are risking their bodies and career for a team that has total disregard for the integrity of the sport.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the NFL competition committee considers a lottery for the 6 worst teams or so for draft slotting.

At least we can say we sucked but tried. :-(

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It isn't really a toughie.

He doesn't think the players should be asked to fight and risk injury for a team leadership that won't even pretend to try to win.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Problem is #1 overall draft pick does not guarantee success, nor 2 or 3. No draft pick is a sure thing.

As long as the fans buy tickets and sponsors sponsors there will be no change.

It takes years of tanking to become competitive again. The Browns had years of top picks and are no better than any other team thus far. So did the Lions that drafted like 3 wide receivers in a row.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It isn't really a toughie.

He doesn't think the players should be asked to fight and risk injury for a team leadership that won't even pretend to try to win.
It's a job and a paycheck and every player on that team and roster is happy to have an NFL roster spot.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
If it works for the Dolphins this year expect to see multiple teams attempt it the following year. Everyone will want Lawrence

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Problem is #1 overall draft pick does not guarantee success, nor 2 or 3. No draft pick is a sure thing.

As long as the fans buy tickets and sponsors sponsors there will be no change.

It takes years of tanking to become competitive again. The Browns had years of top picks and are no better than any other team thus far. So did the Lions that drafted like 3 wide receivers in a row.
This. The reason for a lottery in basketball for instance is because 1 player can almost singlehandedly turn a team into a dynasty, but that just really isn't the case in football. Even if you draft a great QB prospect it still isn't even a guarantee that he will succeed if the situation he is drafted into is bad and Miami may very well be that situation.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They aint tanking cmon you just dont turn off and on being a pro...what are they gonna do....tell the D coordinator to let up next play? Tanking actually would put your body at a greater risk...to suggest it shows total lack of knowledge for the game

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gotta be honest here. Tunsil and Fitzpatrick are good players but neither is elite and if you can get 3 #1s and a #2 for them then you kinda have to do it.

It’s not like the Dolphins were a good team with those guys. They sucked with them now they suck without them but only with more assets

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
They aint tanking cmon you just dont turn off and on being a pro...what are they gonna do....tell the D coordinator to let up next play? Tanking actually would put your body at a greater risk...to suggest it shows total lack of knowledge for the game

So offloading known talent for a goldmine of first-round picks is not a sign of tanking?

The players aren't going to play like the team is tanking, but the quality of players out there would barely beat a FBS team.

TJ

Reaction score
Guarantee that if the NFL had the ability to adopt soccer rules that you can be demoted leagues that you wouldnt see this kind of mishigas by the Dolphins or any other team for that matter.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gotta be honest here. Tunsil and Fitzpatrick are good players but neither is elite and if you can get 3 #1s and a #2 for them then you kinda have to do it.

It’s not like the Dolphins were a good team with those guys. They sucked with them now they suck without them but only with more assets
This x 50

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Omfg i hate the lottery in the nba look at suns getting screwed this yr ending up with a meh tarhill shooter cam Johnson:(

I like the worst record top pic

Even if dolphins get tua they aren't winning for a while they have holes every where

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ownership is tanking, not the coach and players. Coaches and players would never tank, their jobs are on the line and their tape is being filmed. Ownership however can purposefully hamstring a team to being less competitive and the dolphins ownership is clearly doing that. Anyone not seeing it is just not paying attention. There is a major fire sale happening in Miami.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything plausible that the League is discussing a lottery? Or is this just an educated guess?

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this. Explanation?
Players are being asked to give 110% of there efforts to an organization that using those efforts and risk of injury without backing them with a 100% effort to win.

If Rosen gets sacked this week and suffers a career ending injury some might look at it as feeding Rosen to the wolves when they traded Tunsil. Granted it could happen even if Tunsil was still their left tackle.

Every player on that team knows they have14 games left this year. Their efforts have been compromised and I’m going to guess you are going to see Miami’s injury list grow and grow and grow. And I don’t blame them one bit.

I know the players are professionals and are being paid to do a job. Most will continue to do so. I just don’t know how the owner can look at any of his players in the eye and ask for a 100 % effort.

We sucked last year but we didn’t tank. Players may have been frustrated but I believe they felt wrong decisions were made ( coaching) but not intentional.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Players are being asked to give 110% of there efforts to an organization that using those efforts and risk of injury without backing them with a 100% effort to win.

If Rosen gets sacked this week and suffers a career ending injury some might look at is as feeding Rosen to the wolves when they traded Tunsil. Granted it could happen even if Tunsil was still their left tackle.

Every player on that team knows they have14 games left this year. Their efforts have been compromised and I’m going to guess you are going to see Miami’s injury list grow and grow and grow. And I don’t blame them one bit.

I know the players are professionals and are being paid to do a job. Most will continue to do so. I just don’t know how the owner can look at any of his players in the eye and ask for a 100 % effort.
Especially when the owner is the one ordering the tank.

TJ

Reaction score
Omfg i hate the lottery in the nba look at suns getting screwed this yr ending up with a meh tarhill shooter cam Johnson:(

I like the worst record top pic

Even if dolphins get tua they aren't winning for a while they have holes every where

Good. Punish tankers. It’s a lazy way of doing business. Kawhi and Giannis weren’t top picks. Get better scouts and FO personnel and they’ll find the talent regardless of draft position.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything plausible that the League is discussing a lottery? Or is this just an educated guess?
I have not heard or read anything about a lottery but the Dolphins actions have the idea that it might prompt the idea.

Hey if the Dolphins started out 0-6 and started trading players , I get it. But that’s not what’s going on here. They are ripping the fans off. You wouldn’t charge someone $200 for a ticket to see the Stones and then replace them with a garage band. Keep in mind ownership had season ticket holders money already in hand before the tank job started.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Tanking occurs every year. Sometimes its the only way to get better.
Were you okay enduring last season with the Cards to turn the corner now?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Tanking occurs every year. Sometimes its the only way to get better.
Were you okay enduring last season with the Cards to turn the corner now?
There are bad teams every year, but it is usually not from tanking. The Cardinals last year for instance were not tanking, but were simply bad. This Miami tank job is possibly the most egregious that I have seen in the NFL.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. The reason for a lottery in basketball for instance is because 1 player can almost singlehandedly turn a team into a dynasty, but that just really isn't the case in football. Even if you draft a great QB prospect it still isn't even a guarantee that he will succeed if the situation he is drafted into is bad and Miami may very well be that situation.

I agree with this especially due to larger rosters in football. Still it only takes one team that deliberately tanks to screw things up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson