Coaching Staff Maturation

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that's the case, it wasn't clear to me.

It's not miserable to recognize the reality that this team was never really in danger of challenging anything other than beating the spread yesterday. That 5-point deficit was a result of not some kind of defensive stiffening but instead a single-drive hiccup where Purdy got sacked out of field goal range to end a drive where San Francisco marched once again mostly unimpeded down the field.

Which is fine! San Francisco is way, way better than us. With all we've invested in the offense, we should be well ahead on that side of the ball. Our defense stinks right now. Our second-round pick played nine snaps.

I just don't understand the need to valorize a game where we were more or less completely outclassed. I'm extremely excited to see Kyler return to this offense and turn Marquise Brown into something more than a grinding chains-mover.

No one’s valorizing the game. People are happy it was a game and we still fought hard after getting what looked like a knockout blow en route to a rout early on.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bizarre take when the score was 21-16 at one point.
That was the score going into the 4th after a 99 yard drive. So, people were happy about that. It was a GREAT drive.

Then, reality set in and we lose by more than double our points. Don't cover the spread. And just got rolled in the 4th.

My take? Meh. These things cancel each other out when it comes to feeling good or bad about the game yesterday.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was this before or after the 49ers went up 21-3 by halftime? Was it before or after Brock Purdy completed his first 11 passing attempts (including every attempt in the first half)? The 49ers scored a touchdown on every drive save one that didn't end with a clock expiring.
The score at half-time was 21 to 10.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Bizarre take when the score was 21-16 at one point.
I literally addressed this in the next sentence of my post. The 49ers scored a touchdown on every drive except the ones that ended with halftime and the clock expiring -- save one.

Their first drive of the second half ended when Gardeck sacked Purdy just out of field goal range. The 49ers never showed that they were worried about the Cards in any way.

After the Cards scored on the next drive to bring it within five points, SFO moved the ball through the Cardinals defense like a hot knife through butter. They averaged 10.4 YPP before McCaffery walked essentially untouched to the end zone for his fourth touchdown of the day.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If that's the case, it wasn't clear to me.

It's not miserable to recognize the reality that this team was never really in danger of challenging anything other than beating the spread yesterday. That 5-point deficit was a result of not some kind of defensive stiffening but instead a single-drive hiccup where Purdy got sacked out of field goal range to end a drive where San Francisco marched once again mostly unimpeded down the field.

Which is fine! San Francisco is way, way better than us. With all we've invested in the offense, we should be well ahead on that side of the ball. Our defense stinks right now. Our second-round pick played nine snaps.

I just don't understand the need to valorize a game where we were more or less completely outclassed. I'm extremely excited to see Kyler return to this offense and turn Marquise Brown into something more than a grinding chains-mover.
You’re better than the hiccup comment. That’s a legit play that counts, pushed them outta fg range, and allowed a gritty team to get much closer than anyone expected at that juncture in the game. No one is saying they’re anywhere close to the niners league, just commenting on a team that refused to rollover - which couldn’t always describe recent cardinal squads in similar scenarios.

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
One thing I have been noticing is the use of the Practice Squad call ups. With Kliff they called the same people till the eligability ran out. This staff appears to be using various people as call ups to see how well they play in a game. Specifically using Banks and Stille on the defensive line instead of picking one and using up the eligibility.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Yes at least we didn't look like the Keystone Cops

A 99 yard drive against one of the best defenses in the league? On their homefield? That was a notable accomplishment. Several steps above the keystone Cops.

Also, I agree with the OP that, on the ropes, but with the game still hanging in the balance, I like how JG threw caution to wind, including multiple 4th down attempts and the fake punt inside our own 30. What did we have left to lose at that point?

Finally, I thought Petzing called another good game. That was a vicious SF defense we were up against, but we still moved the ball pretty well. Pretty damn well.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I literally addressed this in the next sentence of my post. The 49ers scored a touchdown on every drive except the ones that ended with halftime and the clock expiring -- save one.

Their first drive of the second half ended when Gardeck sacked Purdy just out of field goal range. The 49ers never showed that they were worried about the Cards in any way.

After the Cards scored on the next drive to bring it within five points, SFO moved the ball through the Cardinals defense like a hot knife through butter. They averaged 10.4 YPP before McCaffery walked essentially untouched to the end zone for his fourth touchdown of the day.
Just because you addressed it doesn't make you correct. It was a 5-point game heading into the 4th quarter. Against the best team in the league, arguably. With the worst roster in the league, arguably. That's why people are taking positives. Note the 99 yard drive as a positive.

The final proof I have? This is a hard-core darksider posting to defend the positives. 'Nough said.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Was this before or after the 49ers went up 21-3 by halftime? Was it before or after Brock Purdy completed his first 11 passing attempts (including every attempt in the first half)? The 49ers scored a touchdown on every drive save one that didn't end with a clock expiring.

I don't think this is how it works. I think you can name a coordinator AHC to prevent him from moving for anything but a Head Coach position, but I don't think you can poach a coordinator by naming them AHC. I can't think of an example where it's happened; AHC is more of a title-builder for assistants who want to put themselves on the HC radar.

The reason why Kyler needs to come back is that this passing game has no juice. 6.46 YPA is pretty bad. Dobbs doesn't have the arm to stretch the field in the air, which we hope changes when kyler comes back.
Eric Bieniemy

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I wish I could like this more than once.
Harry do you think maybe the conservative game plans were against teams they felt they could beat and they knew that they had to be creative and gamble more against teams that had more talented players.
Certainly you’re right they modified the offensive game plan. They need more modifications on the defensive side.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
My initial hope was that the Cardinals would eventually become competitive in the second half of the season. Especially once Kyler returned.

I certainly wasn't expecting a team with Dobbs at QB to be strongly competitive in the first few weeks, especially considering the competition the last two games.

On paper it appears to be the worst team in the league, but they certainly aren't playing like it.

I still don't expect the team to have a very good win-loss record but I'm much more optimistic about the possibilities next year than I was just weeks ago.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
He wasn't poached, either. He was allowed to leave and join Whis's staff when Pittsburgh transitioned from Cowher to Tomlin.
My recollection is they wanted him to stay but he was mad he didn’t get promoted. He was under contract so the couldn’t have offered him. I’d agree that they let him leave.