OT NFL looking at Miami for a new issue now

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the potential mishandling of Tua but another health and safety issue. Seems the Dolphins have "set up" the stadium in a way where the Dolphins players have far more protection from the Miami heat than the other team does. In the game against the Vikings, Fox reporters showed it was 91 degrees on the Dolphins sideline, and 120 on the Vikings sideline, which is borderline for the NFL not allowing a game to be played due to the potential for heat related health issues.

They upgraded the stadium back in 2016 and when they did they intentionally built a "shade" for the Dolphins sideline but not the opposition. The NFL has been getting complaints ever since but FOX publicizing it on national tv is apparently pushing the issue to the competition committee. Some teams are apparently now bringing their own cooling equipment to the games in Miami to combat this.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add the NFL rule is teams can only use fans and misters if both teams do it, and Miami doesn't agree to do it because their side is so much cooler. The NFL is looking into making an exemption for that stadium that would allow the visiting team to opt for cooling even if the Dolphins don't.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add the NFL rule is teams can only use fans and misters if both teams do it, and Miami doesn't agree to do it because their side is so much cooler. The NFL is looking into making an exemption for that stadium that would allow the visiting team to opt for cooling even if the Dolphins don't.
It’s time for the NFL to step in and strip Ross of his team

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean, if it was me I'd do exactly the same thing! Every little advantage.

urs

All Star
Reaction score
Weird..The NFL never stopped a Cardinals game at SDS and I guarantee we were out there on days where your shoes would practically melt.
Yeah this is how it was at SDS, first half sucked on both sides but by the 3rd quarter sun was far enough down to give shade on the west side and visitor side was baking the whole game

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird..The NFL never stopped a Cardinals game at SDS and I guarantee we were out there on days where your shoes would practically melt.

I thought the same thing

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t see the issue that’s home-field advantage…. Are they gonna fine Seattle for the admitted construction of stadium to make it louder? I remember one time during a broadcast I don’t know which teams but they said that the home team didn’t put seat warmers on the visiting team side of the field during the winter? Who cares that’s gamesmanship….

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Did they not add a shade to the opposing sideline, or does the angle of the sun just hit the other side of the field differently? Looking at photos of their stadium it looks symmetrical

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don’t see the issue that’s home-field advantage…. Are they gonna fine Seattle for the admitted construction of stadium to make it louder? I remember one time during a broadcast I don’t know which teams but they said that the home team didn’t put seat warmers on the visiting team side of the field during the winter? Who cares that’s gamesmanship….
It's a safety issue.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being 30 degrees cooler is definitely an advantage that the home team has vs the away team.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Says its been happening since 2016 and everyone has been safe. Nobody has collapsed or died. Don't think anyone even puked.
I am reading it is more an equity issue - if one sideline is 20 degrees hotter than the other, it could effect performance.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am reading it is more an equity issue - if one sideline is 20 degrees hotter than the other, it could effect performance.

Miami record says otherwise.

As @kerouac9 said. This seems like nothing more than "Miami are good now"

I bet there are a bunch of stadiums that are oriented in such a way that the home side is naturally shaded by the stadium and the visitors are blasted by the sun.

Its just Miami added artificial shading to one side.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miami record says otherwise.

As @kerouac9 said. This seems like nothing more than "Miami are good now"

I bet there are a bunch of stadiums that are oriented in such a way that the home side is naturally shaded by the stadium and the visitors are blasted by the sun.

Its just Miami added artificial shading to one side.
The side they are on. If they had added it to both sides, they would be fine. Or not added it at all.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If both sides had no shade would the NFL be looking at it as a safety concern? If both sides were 120 degrees last Sunday? I doubt it.

Both sides of Raymond James are fully exposed to the sun. Tampa get's hot too right?

This just seems like the Vikings complaining about the advantage.