Memo to Cintron

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Tony Womack is not a good role model. :rolleyes:

I heard Schulte say that Cintron took 4 pitches in his first two at bats tonight and 3 pitches in his first at bat last night.

I'm sure that isn't what he was doing in Tucson.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is exactly why I was against bringing up Cintron, obviously he has to come up now because of the injury to CC. Cintron has never had success in the big leagues and I don't think he ever will.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Calling his career a bust after 3 full games (this year) is just a tad premature.

It's not like he was thrust into the leadoff spot or anything. (sarcasm intended)

;)

AZZenny

Reaction score
The way he was hitting in triple-A, a switch hitter, can play a couple positions - you HAVE to give him first shot at an open infield slot before you consider any other youngster. I would like to see Baerga start and Alex sit for a couple games personally, although BB said he wants to let him get consistent starts initially, and I figure Alex deserves at least 8-10 games before we start writing up the ticket on him.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by sly fly
Calling his career a bust after 3 full games (this year) is just a tad premature.

It's not like he was thrust into the leadoff spot or anything. (sarcasm intended)

;)

Sorry but he played just as sucky last year and every other time he has had a call up....he is just undisiplined and doesn't impress me. I never said he was a bust, he just looks like a career minor leaguer in my eyes

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZZenny
The way he was hitting in triple-A, a switch hitter, can play a couple positions - you HAVE to give him first shot at an open infield slot before you consider any other youngster. I would like to see Baerga start and Alex sit for a couple games personally, although BB said he wants to let him get consistent starts initially, and I figure Alex deserves at least 8-10 games before we start writing up the ticket on him.
Two good points, AZZenny!

Although not a traditional leadoff hitter, Craig Counsell has a knack of providing a spark at the top of the batting order, that sets the tone for the rest of the team. Even if only by knowing how to draw a walk or get on at crunch time.

There is no one else able to step in and do that, except for Quinton McCracken, and (a) he got off to a bad start and (b) is not about to be a full-time outfielder ahead of Gonzo/Bautista/Finley.

If Cintron can maintain a good batting average, as he did this year in Tucson, that's the closest we have to getting on base at the top of the batting order until Craig returns.

As far as Baerga getting playing time, here I go bashing Matty again, but who should be playing 3B?

PLAYER....A.B.....AVG....HR....RBI
Baerga.....54... .389.......2.....15
Williams....86... .233.......3.....12

Even Baerga, as a non-traditional leadoff hitter, would set the table for Spivey and Gonzo . . . and drive in runs with our Catchers hitting so well in the 8-spot.

With most teams, their best hitter bats 3rd . . . as we do with Gonzo.

But the most crucial positions in the order are leadoff and cleanup. We are clearly hurting right now in both of those spots. Leaving Cintron to see if he can get on base at leadoff, and returning Bautista to cleanup, might be the best we can do at this time!

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by BC867

As far as Baerga getting playing time, here I go bashing Matty again, but who should be playing 3B?

Why the answer is.......both of them (if you're assuming Baerga can handle 3B defensively :( )

Code:
Williams	AB	 AVG	 OBP	 SLG	 OPS
vs. Left	34	0.294	0.366	0.529	0.895
vs. Right	52	0.192	0.306	0.346	0.652

Baerga	        AB	 AVG	 OBP	 SLG	 OPS
vs. Left	 7	0.286	0.250	0.286	0.536
vs. Right	47	0.404	0.431	0.617	1.048

Of course, I wouldn't assume that.

OP
OP
S

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
He DWKB, I noticed your signature line. I don't think I've ever been a huge fan of chemistry and intangibles as opposed to stats. I certainly do think they are way overrated and I think I've consistently held that position, though maybe over time I've to be more of a stat fan.

But when it comes to chemistry and intangibles as a way of ranking players I definitely don't believe - see David Bell as exhibit "A". I usually end up trashing the Phillies for excessively focusing on such nonsense - see Scott Rolen as exhibit "B" and say all I care about is performance.

I can't imagine where you got the idea I'm a big fan of chemistry and intangibles just because I think the stats that are used are not good measurements of some things. Because I take that position doesn't mean I support chemistry and intangibles.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
This is exactly why I was against bringing up Cintron, obviously he has to come up now because of the injury to CC. Cintron has never had success in the big leagues and I don't think he ever will.

Originally posted by Ryanwb
Sorry but he played just as sucky last year and every other time he has had a call up....he is just undisiplined and doesn't impress me. I never said he was a bust, he just looks like a career minor leaguer in my eyes
Didja hear about the college prof who lectured his class, "A positive and a negative always equal a negative ... A negative and a positive always equal a negative ... Two negatives always equal a positive ... But two positives never equal a negative."

And from the back of the auditorium, came a voice that said, "Yeah, right!"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In response to your two posts, Ryanwb, I just have two words ... "Yeah, right!"

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you guys still want to bench or get rid of Cintron?

Last edited:

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
Hey guys Cintron looked pretty good again. He just needs a fair shot and time to get comfortable with majore league pitching. So far he lloks like he is getting it

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
Do you guys still want to bench or get rid of Cinton?
Hey, Zona! Were you referring to Alex . . . or Bill Clinton? :rolleyes:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice hitting by Alex last night - 2 of the 4 Dback hits, 1 HR.